PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new motor wont start please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motor wont start please help!!!

just dropped new ls1 in my 99 SS. I have new knock, crank, cam sensors, power going to each coil, to every injector but plugs won't fire?????? I have checked every ground every wire, every connection. The motor will turn and turn but the plugs will not fire. I have check every fuse in the car, I really don't want to take the car to the dealer ship because it already has a tune loaded in the ECU for my cam heads etc.. plese shed some light, somebody please help. im in the eastern shore maryland if anyone knows anything please help. thanks so much. Shane
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Plugs not firing is a sign that something is wrong with the crank sensor signal.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Did you get all the wires pluged back in at the passenger foot will
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the grounds?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love it when people post a thread, get their answer and never wrap it up or give updates.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

Default update

hey sorry i haven't had any luck with the car yet. i have checked the grounds, checked everything and to respond to the *******, you know what i love? when i post a thread that says i checked the crank sensor and the grounds and people reply with, did u check the ground? hey did you check the crank sensor? that is what i really love, i also love how people have nothing better to do with their time other than posting smart *** remarks to a person who is having trouble with something.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Restricted User

Easy with the name calling killer. You start a thread, get suggestions, and 2 days later there is no response. Kinda looks like the prob is solved without posting what fixed the issue so that maybe someone else can make use of it. I apologize if that wasn't the case here but it happens more often than not.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FBodyRider9902
hey sorry i haven't had any luck with the car yet. i have checked the grounds, checked everything and to respond to the *******, you know what i love? when i post a thread that says i checked the crank sensor and the grounds and people reply with, did u check the ground? hey did you check the crank sensor? that is what i really love, i also love how people have nothing better to do with their time other than posting smart *** remarks to a person who is having trouble with something.
Huh...??? I cant believe it...!!!

Your original post:
Originally Posted by FBodyRider9902
just dropped new ls1 in my 99 SS. I have new knock, crank, cam sensors, power going to each coil, to every injector but plugs won't fire?????? I have checked every ground every wire, every connection. The motor will turn and turn but the plugs will not fire. I have check every fuse in the car, I really don't want to take the car to the dealer ship because it already has a tune loaded in the ECU for my cam heads etc.. plese shed some light, somebody please help. im in the eastern shore maryland if anyone knows anything please help. thanks so much. Shane
You said that you checked every ground wire and every connection... you didn't say anything about checking any of the sensors (or the crank sensor at all)... you didn't check the signals produced by the sensors... have you seen if your crank sensor is producing a signal...? Just because a sensor is new doesn't mean it isn't faulty (even tho it looks good in appearance)... how did you check your grounds, did you eyeball them or did you check for voltage drop across them...? And there usually is one ground that you haven't checked.

Did you get it figured out...?

The service manual has step-by-step procedure on how to diagnose a no-start (maybe that should be the standard answer from now on).

I could have just skipped over your thread but I took the time to think about your problem...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Huh...??? I cant believe it...!!!

Your original post:

You said that you checked every ground wire and every connection... you didn't say anything about checking any of the sensors (or the crank sensor at all)... you didn't check the signals produced by the sensors... have you seen if your crank sensor is producing a signal...? Just because a sensor is new doesn't mean it isn't faulty (even tho it looks good in appearance)... how did you check your grounds, did you eyeball them or did you check for voltage drop across them...? And there usually is one ground that you haven't checked.

Did you get it figured out...?

The service manual has step-by-step procedure on how to diagnose a no-start (maybe that should be the standard answer from now on).

I could have just skipped over your thread but I took the time to think about your problem...
Yep. There's more to checking a crank sensor than "yep, it's there, and plugged in". Not trying to be smart, just sayin.

You need to find someone with a scanner, or preferably a scanner and a scope. Chances of finding the problem without them is slim. You may luck into it, but that's what it will be. You could also waste alot of time and money throwing parts at it.

I recently diagnosed a car one guy spent 3 months trying to figure out. We had it figured out in one day.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would look at all the pins in your connections. Sometimes they get bent or back out or are loose. Also check the pcm pins and make sure they are connected. Make sure your sensors connection in the back of the motor is hooked up correctly. (not backwards) On my car the cam sensor connection was backwards and cause a similar problem. Found the code with my HP tuners and corrected the problem.

Last edited by Cliff; 02-02-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Default update

well thank you everyone for the detail responses. I have gone as far as taking my brand new crank sensor out of a car that runs and switching it will my brand new sensor, so the actual sensor itself, is good... I don't know if the wiring for the actual sensor is faulty, but i have power in one of the crank wires, there is three, i don't think all of wires are suppose to put out a hot signal or what. Hp tuners will back and running soon, as for the grounds, they are all good to go, all have been visually checked and checked for a drop in voltage, thanks everyone.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Restricted User

Are you sure that the correct reluctor wheel was used here. You mention that it's a new motor. If it's a crate ls2,3,7 it may have the wrong reluctor wheel on it. Just throwing that out there. My experience with a flipped (wire) on the cam sensor is that it will fire but just may have a hard time starting sometimes. Another thing to make sure is that if you did need to relocate the cam sensor for the newer style blocks, the cam timing sprocket must also be for the newer style motor. Ls1 cam sprocket won't work.