Amarillo Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amarillo Texas

Okay, I live all the way up in to northern part of Idaho in place call Post Falls.

My parents are talking about High tailing it out of this snow hell hole and moving To amarillo or a little out of the city.

If any of you do live here please do tell me what it is like, Car show's , Car meets, Nearest Raceway, The whole run down.

Please
Thank you
Dane
Old 01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://amarilloracers.com/phpBB3/
Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Damnit, Work computer is blocking the site..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And you can get a 72oz. steak at The Big Texan!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Haha mmm =) It's almost my lunch time.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been to Amarillo several times. We have family up there. I think it's a pretty nice town. I'll warn you though. It's probably the coldest area in the state of Texas and they get quite a bit of snow every year. It can get very hot there in the summer too.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

lol, You've never been too Idaho i take it haha. What's cold to you? and whats alot of snow? I havent been able to find these things on this damn work computer.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I lived there for 6 years.

I loved the town, to be honest. Great place to live. Met my wife there, etc. I was bummed to move, in a way. It's West Texas, very laid back, feels like a small town. Problems, sure, but I'd rather live there than Dallas or Houston.

As for weather, it's probably a lot like Idaho. Cold as fsck at times in the winter, and the wind NEVER STOPS. And on those humid spring mornings when the feed lot aroma wafts through town, mmmm... smells like money.

My only complaint was where I lived; I lived in one of the subdivisions with postage stamp sized lots (Windsor 4, I think). If I were to look again, I'd go on the southwest side of town, outside the loop, for a house with some land.

The drag strip is on the southeast side of town. But really, you can get there within 20 minutes from anywhere in town.

What stinks about racing there, though, is that the track isn't open year round (it was open March through September when I lived there), and the density altitude during the summer gets way up there (over 5000' at times). Stock LS1 cars run low 14s there.

{I moved out of Amarillo because of my job, and to be closer to my and my wife's parents. It is a fair drive from "everything else".}
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Oh lord, haha please don't say the weather is like Idaho.. This winter was another Record. over 4 feet total so far, and low's that were well below the negitives before the wind chill factor.

So this means less air for the cars to breath correct? higher up the thinner it gets
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

dude you guys are lucky to race that much haha, We have a 4 month season. Normaly the rain starts up and doesn't quit until the snow hits. we have about a month before summer and roughly a half to a month after summer.

Last edited by ChevyS10sbc; 01-30-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyS10sbc
Oh lord, haha please don't say the weather is like Idaho.. This winter was another Record. over 4 feet total so far, and low's that were well below the negitives before the wind chill factor.

So this means less air for the cars to breath correct? higher up the thinner it gets
Our local weather will usually show temps for the entire state and I often see Amarillo with very low temps. Teens or lower are quite common and it's windy up there, so the windchill can kick your ***.

"Amarillo Weather

Amarillo , situated on the High Plains of the Texas Panhandle, has a semi-arid temperate steppe climate with four distinct seasons. Summers can be quite warm, with the hottest month of July averaging highs in the low-90s. Because of the area’s low humidity, summer evenings are generally pleasant with lows in the mid-60s. Spring and fall see mild weather. Early spring days range from daytime highs in the low-70s to evening lows in the low-40s; by early June the range will be low-80s to low-60s. Early autumn is warm with highs in the 70s and lows in the mid-40s; as winter approaches highs won’t reach above 50 degrees and lows will drop to the mid-20s. Winter is cool in the daytime and cold at night. Highs will be in the upper-40s; lows will normally hit the low-20s.
The Amarillo area is also subject to extreme and rapid temperature changes. Most prevalent during the fall and winter months, it is not uncommon for cold fronts from the northern Rocky Mountain and Plains states enter the area causing temperature drops of 50 to 60 degrees within a 12-hour period.

Amarillo’s average precipitation of 19.71 inches falls predominately during the months of April through October with June’s average of 3 ¼ inches making it the wettest month of the year. The year’s remaining months see less than 1 inch of precipitation each. The annual snowfall average is 15 inches with most snow melting within a few days after it falls. Blizzards are not unknown in the area; but are also not common."
Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Okay, I live all the way up in to northern part of Idaho in place call Post Falls.

My parents are talking about High tailing it out of this snow hell hole and moving To amarillo or a little out of the city.

If any of you do live here please do tell me what it is like, Car show's , Car meets, Nearest Raceway, The whole run down.

Please
Thank you
Dane

I know exactly where post falls is located, I'm in nw montana (funny)

I am from ft worth & i want to go back. longer car season, they are already racing at kennedale. I think you would enjoy it.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm from a nearby town. Amarillo isn't all that bad. Most stuff you want to do is there, and it's about 4 hours to OKC, 6 hours to DFW if you need something bigger.

It's close to NM / Colorado if you're into skiing, etc., but not really close to much else.

Definitely ask around on Amarilloracers.com as posted above.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Please
Thank you
Dane
theres a monthly car cruise and show in downtown amarillo. happens on polk street. then theres a few meets and race spots around town. not really much else. i lived up there for 2 months and still never had enough time to enjoy some of the scenery. check out the palo duro canyon if and when you do move there.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

The water is TERRIBLE and the wind blows more than in Chicago. They do have Stanley Marsh though, he keeps it entertaining.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I've been up there a few times on day trips for work, so I haven't seen much outside the airport and our facility. One thing I can say is you'll have to get use to the smell of cow manure. I know that doesn't help much, just throwing it out there.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm, Well i do thank all of you for your advice, So if I was to not move to this area, and wanted to stay away from big city places, What city would you suggest, Remind you i need a dragstrip within a hour drive. And girls =) I'm 18 and i need me some Lady friends.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

How far away from the big city do you want to be? The DFW area has a lot of smaller towns around it and plenty of dragstrip options. Fort Worth is more my style than Dallas, meaning layed back and easy going. I'm not originally from Texas, but I've been here most of my life, honestly you can't lose as long as you end up somewhere in Texas. As for the ladies and coming from a female, the large majority down here are beautiful.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I have my say in things but it is up to the parents since it is there house lol. But i was rather disappointed when i moved up here haha. No girls, More snow then the dang mountains get. And cold weather.

I'm thinking like under 15,000 people. We will be flying down in about two weeks from now to check Some areas out. I just want as little snow as possible lol and not move to far south, I'd like to stay to the northern side of texas. but still driving range to the big city like, like 1-2 hours. And another thing to keep in mind is College, Jr or uni. Either or. If you know some citys just toss them out there.

Idaho is beautiful, I'll give it that. I just can not take another winter here.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Teching In

That's how I ended up in Texas. My parents told me they were moving to the New England area. They went up there to buy the house before they left. Came back and said the house they bought came with a snow blower. I told them f that, I'm going to Texas.