LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any difference between an LT1 and LT4 block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any difference between an LT1 and LT4 block?

I'm going to start a motor build and am going to buy a block for the build up. My stock motor is running strong, but it's time for more power. It will be a stroker LT4 either 383 or 396. Couple of questions:

Is there any difference between and LT1 block and an LT4 block?

What in the bottom end is different?

Who are the top LTx engine builders out there?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no such thing as an LT4 block.

As far as engine builders are concerned, there really is no clear-cut winner. I'm using a local shop who has been proven thousands of times. Shop around, ask, and do some research.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is only one LT block casting the Vette LT1s, warranty LT1s and the LT4s were machined for straight 4 bolt caps. If making enough powe to actually need 4 bolt caps you should have aftermarket caps not the factory ones which means in the end there is little benefit to buying a factory 4 bolt block because you are going to be machining it for new caps anyway.

The LT4 had a crank that was machined a little differently, rods that were machined a little differently and a piston with a differen valve notch, you are talking about a full build so all of that would go right in the trash can.

Since you have an LT4 already and it is with a car it is supposed to be in, maybe just yank it complete and put it away in the shed, go get a core LT1 and start from there.

IMO one of the top LT1 builders is www.advancedinduction.com in Concord NC, wont be cheap but I have not seen anything better.

Really the LT1 is pretty much a smallblock Chevy, anyone who can build a gen 1 motor should be able to build this one, just might have to open their eyes to the compression we get away with, so if you choose not to try Advanced Induction just find a local shop with a good smallblock track record, you will be further ahead than using the "shops" most of the kids here will recommend.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There is only one LT block casting the Vette LT1s, warranty LT1s and the LT4s were machined for straight 4 bolt caps. If making enough powe to actually need 4 bolt caps you should have aftermarket caps not the factory ones which means in the end there is little benefit to buying a factory 4 bolt block because you are going to be machining it for new caps anyway.
Yup, and expect to drop $200-300 in parts + $300-500 in labor to do a splayed main with quality main caps.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Since you have an LT4 already and it is with a car it is supposed to be in, maybe just yank it complete and put it away in the shed, go get a core LT1 and start from there.
Even though it is a 96 and 4.10s (common M6 mod), I'm not sure if he does have an LT4, given that it has the "LT4 HotCam" listed as a mod. But I could be wrong.

But if you DO have a real, factory, LT4 I fully agree on yanking it and sticking it in storage. Take CARE of it in storage though, don't just forget about it, or it'll start to rust up.

As far as having a factory motor goes, the LT4 is nice, but once you start talking heads/cams and built up internals, well it's then no better than your run of the mill LT1
Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Launching!

all 96 M6 vettes came with the LT4, so he does have one.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
all 96 M6 vettes came with the LT4, so he does have one.
It doesn't say he has an M6, that's what I was saying. He probably does, given he has 4.10s, but it's not a for sure thing.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club

as others have said a machined "splayed" 4 bolt main block will kill a factory 4 bolt straight mains..... the side bolts go in at an angle which supports the cap vertically and laterally... expect that you're going to be paying close to 600 bucks with parts... good caps from like Pro Gram engineering are around 250 bucks.. the machine work is at least 300 bones.... it's not for the weak machine shop to do it.....

Some of the top engine builders like others have already mentioned are local shops to the guys that have some of the hottest LT1's out there. unfortunately not all of these shops are sponsors here so we cannot legally link you to contact info.... suffice it to say tho that the days of LT1 specific shops being kings of the hill are over.... Agostino, MTI, etc have all stopped doing anything related to LT1's.... you are better off either going local or talking to the guys with the big power LTx motors and getting contact info....

come to the shootout in KC this year and you'll see some high dollar LTx handiwork....
Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

LOL @ LT4 BLOCK.... It appears to me this guy has money and just goes out and buys toys not knowing anything about cars

Im spelling CREDIT DEBT
Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tapout97
LOL @ LT4 BLOCK.... It appears to me this guy has money and just goes out and buys toys not knowing anything about cars
1997 Camaro SS , 357, LT4 Set up,

Pot calling the kettle black?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
1997 Camaro SS , 357, LT4 Set up,

Pot calling the kettle black?

Quick Reply: Any difference between an LT1 and LT4 block?