General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What to do after Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do after Seafoam?

Aright guys heres the deal. My car has about 72k on it, i just changed the dif fluid, pads about 10k ago. I'm about to order Brembo blanks for all four corners, and also am going to change the tranny fluid while I have it on the lift.(even though mine only has about 16k miles on it.) I'm going to seafoam the car and change the fuel filter afterwards. I have a K &N air filter which I just cleaned, and plugs with about 30k miles on them (installed with the longtubes.) My car was also professionally tuned by EFI Alchemy here in Jax. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for anything to do after seafoam? I want to do it right and take care of everything at once. I also just had my tires remounted and rotated. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Ohh and I bled the brakes and changed the serpantine belt about 5k miles ago.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Teching In

I saw a good write up on Seafoam from a guy named Paul, but I searched and could not find it. Sounds like you are doing alot of good maintenance though.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

just serch seafoam and there is a perfect write up about it.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowSS416
Aright guys heres the deal. My car has about 72k on it, i just changed the dif fluid, pads about 10k ago. I'm about to order Brembo blanks for all four corners, and also am going to change the tranny fluid while I have it on the lift.(even though mine only has about 16k miles on it.) I'm going to seafoam the car and change the fuel filter afterwards. I have a K &N air filter which I just cleaned, and plugs with about 30k miles on them (installed with the longtubes.) My car was also professionally tuned by EFI Alchemy here in Jax. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for anything to do after seafoam? I want to do it right and take care of everything at once. I also just had my tires remounted and rotated. Thanks!
Yeah, put 1 full can of Sea Foam into 3/4 of a tank of gas. Drive it out. Then change the fuel filter.

Thats it.

If you want to do the top end cleaning with the Sea Foam you can read the sticky about it. But you will need two full cans to do it right, 1/3 of a can is nowhere near enough for that process.

Also, if you want better engine protection, throw the K&N air filter in the garbage and get a real filter, AC Delco paper filter. And you also won't have that K&N grease crap getting your MAF dirty and making your engine run gradually worse and worse.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94z28M6
I saw a good write up on Seafoam from a guy named Paul, but I searched and could not find it. Sounds like you are doing alot of good maintenance though.
Its in the sticky at the top of this section. I'm just looking for ideas of things to mantinence after seafoam/or that might be affected by seafoaming.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have cats and are they in good shape? I would think after blowing all that garbage through the exhaust it might be a good time for some high flowing cats if you don't already have them. That's the only other thing I can think of and it's definitely not necessary.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Do you have cats and are they in good shape? I would think after blowing all that garbage through the exhaust it might be a good time for some high flowing cats if you don't already have them. That's the only other thing I can think of and it's definitely not necessary.
They were removed and tuned out when the longtubes were put on.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you have everything covered pretty good. The only thing I would say is look into a coolant flush maybe. That and simple things like greasing your door hinges and what not.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by c0ncEpT
Sounds like you have everything covered pretty good. The only thing I would say is look into a coolant flush maybe. That and simple things like greasing your door hinges and what not.
Is a coolant flush something I can do myself?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowSS416
Is a coolant flush something I can do myself?
Very simple. Just the cost of new Dexcool and a bottle of flush fluid.

Buy a bottle of some type of radiator flush.
Take your t-stat out and bolt the housing back up.
Drain just the radiator and add the bottle of flush and fill it back up with just water.
Let the engine run for about 30 minutes or drive around like that for a couple days if you can.

Then, with the engine cold, take the pet-**** drain plug all the way out. Not just open it up, take it all the way off so its a larger drain for the old coolant to get out.
Open the radiator fill cap and stick a hose in there. Start the engine and let it run like that making sure the radiator is always full while the coolant is circulating and draining out. Do this until the water runs out clear, maybe 15 minutes.

Put the drain plug back in, put the t-stat back in and fill it up with Dexcool/water. Wait for a couple cycles of the t-stat opening and closing and keep topping it off so you know the system is completely full of coolant.

Done.