LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1.6 nsa vs. S/a

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 nsa vs. S/a

What are the Pro's/Con's/differences with S/A RR's and NSA 1.6 RR's? Are one of the two better to go with?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

umm, pros of SA they don't require guideplates and they will fit under stock valve covers with no trimming NSA are usually bigger and you can spin those things to the moon. I went with SA because I am still on a stock shortblock and can't spin it that high anyways.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

NSA rr's used with guideplates do a better job at stabilizing the valve train. Get some CC Promags and some TF guideplates and call it a day.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Self-aligning:

Pros: Can be used with stock non-hardened pushrods (96+) and do not need additional hardware. Good for most camshafts and powerbands under 6500rpm. Easy to install, just remove old rockers, bolt on new, set valve lash, and go!

Cons: Less stable at higher RPMs.

Non self-aligning:

Pros: MUCH stabler at all RPMs as compared to S/A.

Cons: Requires pushrod guideplates and hardened pushrods (not necessarily a bad thing). Requires removal of rocker stud to install guideplates, while changing rocker angle (might cause some clearance issues on high lift springs and large diameter retainers, but for most applications is not a cause for concern).

I personally wouldn't use anything other than non self-aligning rockers, as I am using NSA Crane Golds on my AI 383. I'm using the GMPP guideplates, because other guideplates have been shown to alter the pushrod angle. GMPP plates keep them parallel for the most part. Add some ARP 7/16" rocker studs along with 3/8" hardened or chromemoly pushrods and you've got a damn strong hydraulic roller valvetrain setup short of a shaft-mount rocker setup.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Great thanks for the replys
Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S/A Comp's here with no issues after spinning it plenty of times!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I love these threads.
You have been given the benefits of each (price seems to have fallen by the wayside) so now you need to determine the requirements of your engine. Do you need a drivetrain that can spin to 7000 rpm? Is cost a factor? Do you mind hacking up your stock valve covers or buying new ones?
For the ultimate, the NSA units certainly rule.
For normal use, the SA units should be fine.
My own two cents: Get full roller rockers, not just rocker tips. The fulcrum is the most important part to have a roller bearing, IMHO.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I love these threads.
You have been given the benefits of each (price seems to have fallen by the wayside) so now you need to determine the requirements of your engine. Do you need a drivetrain that can spin to 7000 rpm? Is cost a factor? Do you mind hacking up your stock valve covers or buying new ones?
My own two cents: Get full roller rockers, not just rocker tips. The fulcrum is the most important part to have a roller bearing, IMHO.
+1000, you'll never want to adjust stock or roller tip rockers ever again after you adjust full roller rockers. Sooo easy.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I love these threads.
+2...what he said
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
+1000, you'll never want to adjust stock or roller tip rockers ever again after you adjust full roller rockers. Sooo easy.
I've had both and they're both equally a PITA, except the poly locks crane uses make it a little easier to find zero lash