Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

interior/exterior modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interior/exterior modifications

ok so i'm in auto again for my last semester of high school for 1 1/2 hours everyday so i might as well get something productive done to my car. i want dress it up a little better but just do cheap things to it because i'm on a budget. i already painted the calipers but that's about it. my side moldings and "firebird" side emblems have paint coming off severely so any advice on what i should do or anything i can get done to it while in auto? thanks. oh and it's a 97 firebird v6 automatic no t-tops
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Hey watsup man. I also leave very early my last semester of highschool. Well before my formula I had a white 96 firebird in white. Here's what I did the the exterior.

Oh and honeycomb tailights(much better)

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

you could put clear corner lights up front!!! HMMMMM you could black out the tailights....
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you just buy the clear corners like that? should i black out the tail lights and side markers? i already have to replace a headlight gear ugh. i need to get that done first! lol
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

!Wire Mod
!Hood Latch
Paint Vent Rings
Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
!Wire Mod
!Hood Latch
Paint Vent Rings
i might do two of those. but what is !hood latch? i couldnt find it in any threads
Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing as the !Wire mod, except it's on the other side of the engine bay, and you do it with the hood latch cable. You need to enlarge a hole that's already been drilled, and stuff the cable down there.

At least...on LS1 cars, that's how it is...I don't see why it would be any different on a '93 - '97.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

vht the sidemarkers
wire mod
Hood latch!
side moldings and emblems!
ipod hookup
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

yep unless the car has been repainted OVER the emblems, pull the side emblems off.

prep/paint the rotor hats/drums (correctly, with it off the car) so they don't show rust

learn to wash/polish/wax/detail your car properly! this is KEY for appearance! it is cheap (once you have wash mitt, soap, and wax/polish). a clean car is what helps appearance the most. you'll have to do this at home with at least a few hours to spare:
  • clean tires with preferred tire shine
  • hose down with water
  • make soapy water bucket
  • microfiber wash mitt in soapy water bucket
  • rub car down with soapy microfiber wash mitt, rinsing soapy microfiber with clean water bucket after a pass
  • clean wheels with separate rag and soapy water
  • hose down car again to remove soap
  • rinse car off with low-pressure hose water to make drying easier (make the water collect)
  • dry car with one old, soft, clean bathroom towel that wont be used in the bathroom (think raggedy edges). one is enough.
  • dry wheels with clean rag
  • use car polish (you can use Nu-Finish if you're afraid of polishing compound)
  • after polishing, use car wax (meguiars nxt 2.0 or zymol if you need cheap)
  • if your wheels are painted, polish/wax them as necessary, since it is paint just like the rest of the car.
Remember, no matter how many appearance mods you have, a dirty car is still a dirty car.

now as far as cheap/easy/quick mechanical upgrades...

replace any worn bushings/mounts. im sure if your car is a 97 you will have some that are worn out.
replace worn belts, and any other maintenance items (fluids, plugs/wires, brakes/noises, etc.)
if you want to do swaybars, now would be a good time to switch them out for some take-off V8 swaybars from a junkyard, too while replacing the bushings at the same time. not too expensive and a very good upgrade for a V6 car. any 93-02 V8 car has bigger swaybars (and bushings) than your V6. SS/WS6 has a better front bar but even "standard" Z28/Trans Am bars are acceptable.

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks you guys are a lot of help. most people wouldn't take the time to help someone. but i really appreciate it. i was going to buy car cleaning supplies the other day but didnt have time. what brand of car wash do yall recommend? and wax, tire shine, etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i may suggest to do some maintenance, get the car running in 100% perfect shape before doing any modifications to it. you mentioned changing the gear, also check how the motor is running. use the facilities and help as best you can while youve got it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

the car runs very well but within a year i'm getting a new car hopefully an ls1. but till then i want to at least make it look decent lol. is changing the motor gear difficult? i was also thinking about getting the "PONTIAC" inserts. what do yall think? and where could i get fog lights to put in my car. i looked all over the net and couldnt find a thing.... and my key fob no longer works. could i get a new one a reprogram it or what?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

If it's a factory one then you can buy a new fob on eBay... Get the one that comes with programming instructions.

Inserts are personal preference and vary depending on the theme/feel of the car. Your choice...

For fog lights you can try and fab up something from an autozone/pep boys/oreilley/walmart fog light kit. It takes some time and materials though. Somebody probably has a write-up on here...

For wax I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 liquid or paste (purple container), clean terry cloth towels to apply, and those bright yellow microfiber towels to remove. If that black triangle thing behind the side windows needs some refreshing (and the paint is still halfway-good) you can try and shine it up using Nu-Finish (orange bottle) and waxing it. Nu-Finish also "works" as a chrome polish. If for whatever reason you don't like Nu-Finish as a car polish to remove light blemishes, you can try hand-buffing with plenty of 3M Polishing Compound and then wax. If you polish it and the car goes dull again after a couple days (or doesn't shine up at all), then your clearcoat is shot and will have to be redone.

I use Eagle One tire shine and the separate foam applicator. I should have bought the one with the foam applicator built into the bottle... Every once in a while I take the wheels off and clean the insides with a wet rag I don't want any more (trash), as well as cleaning off the calipers/suspension with an old wet sponge (also trash). I say trash because I don't like the idea of rubbing brake dust particles and road debris into the paint of the car when re-using that rag...

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-05-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
If it's a factory one then you can buy a new fob on eBay... Get the one that comes with programming instructions.

Inserts are personal preference and vary depending on the theme/feel of the car. Your choice...

For fog lights you can try and fab up something from an autozone/pep boys/oreilley/walmart fog light kit. It takes some time and materials though. Somebody probably has a write-up on here...

For wax I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 liquid or paste (purple container), clean terry cloth towels to apply, and those bright yellow microfiber towels to remove. If that black triangle thing behind the side windows needs some refreshing (and the paint is still halfway-good) you can try and shine it up using Nu-Finish (orange bottle) and waxing it. Nu-Finish also "works" as a chrome polish. If for whatever reason you don't like Nu-Finish as a car polish to remove light blemishes, you can try hand-buffing with plenty of 3M Polishing Compound and then wax. If you polish it and the car goes dull again after a couple days (or doesn't shine up at all), then your clearcoat is shot and will have to be redone.

I use Eagle One tire shine and the separate foam applicator. I should have bought the one with the foam applicator built into the bottle... Every once in a while I take the wheels off and clean the insides with a wet rag I don't want any more (trash), as well as cleaning off the calipers/suspension with an old wet sponge (also trash). I say trash because I don't like the idea of rubbing brake dust particles and road debris into the paint of the car when re-using that rag...
thanks for the help zex! i'll hopefully get around to it this weekend!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=dabest09;10982427]the car runs very well but within a year i'm getting a new car hopefully an ls1.QUOTE]

Don't waste any money on the current car and save for mods on the LS1 if you get one!!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iceman can
Originally Posted by dabest09
the car runs very well but within a year i'm getting a new car hopefully an ls1.
Don't waste any money on the current car and save for mods on the LS1 if you get one!!!!!
x2. Don't waste money on your V6 if an LS1 is definitely in the near future. That said, detailing supplies/practice will last you quite a long time and are a good investment if you value the appearance of your car. I'm still working on the container of car soap that I bought a year (or more) ago, along with leather cleaner and polish.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Iceman can;10997594]
Originally Posted by dabest09
the car runs very well but within a year i'm getting a new car hopefully an ls1.QUOTE]

that's why i said cheap modifications that can clean up the car a little bit until the time comes when i do get a new car
Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i would just remove firebird molding on the door and put on a set of clear corners and your set.

Quick Reply: interior/exterior modifications