Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

VATS Rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default VATS Rant

Just needed to rant a little. The VATS on my 02 took a dump. The car would not start the other day when my brother was trying to move it. Figured I would try to bypass it. It worked for a couple of days. My brother tried to move it again to get his car out and he had trouble starting it. Looks like I am going to have to cough up $500 to get it fixed. Hopefully I can at least start it to get it to the shop. The sad thing is I rarely drive the car and this is the first thing that has needed to be fixed on the car since owning it. I will be taking it in next week to get it fixed.

End rant...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
Just needed to rant a little. The VATS on my 02 took a dump. The car would not start the other day when my brother was trying to move it. Figured I would try to bypass it. It worked for a couple of days. My brother tried to move it again to get his car out and he had trouble starting it. Looks like I am going to have to cough up $500 to get it fixed. Hopefully I can at least start it to get it to the shop. The sad thing is I rarely drive the car and this is the first thing that has needed to be fixed on the car since owning it. I will be taking it in next week to get it fixed.

End rant...
You could always have it turned off with the tuning software
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Where does $500 come from?

A new ignition-lock+keys from the dealer is less than $200.
Getting a tune and having VATS disabled is probably less than $500 as well, and you'd get a tune as well..
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
Where does $500 come from?

A new ignition-lock+keys from the dealer is less than $200.
Getting a tune and having VATS disabled is probably less than $500 as well, and you'd get a tune as well..
I have read some threads and saw prices around $450 to have it fixed by a shop or dealer. I will be getting a quote in the few days.

As far as the tune this car is staying as stock as possible in the engine compartment other than the CAI.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be bypassed with a .50 cent resistor...No need to pay all that money to repair it.
if you need help PM me!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, the dealer will rape you for over $400 if you take it to them...don't! Same thing happened with my buddies car and I bypassed it and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Are you sure you used the right nominal resistence value when you spliced in the reistor(s)? You said it worked for a couple of days, now it doesn't...does the security light flash now when you try to start it?

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 02-04-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have HP Tuners and 2002 Camaro License. I can turn it off for you if you want.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Are you sure you did it correctly?

You'll need to test your key to know what ohm resistor to use http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
Old 02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Yes, the dealer will rape you for over $400 if you take it to them...don't! Same thing happened with my buddies car and I bypassed it and it has worked flawlessly ever since. Are you sure you used the right nominal resistence value when you spliced in the reistor(s)? You said it worked for a couple of days, now it doesn't...does the security light flash now when you try to start it?
Yeah I used the correct resisitor value. It did start right up after I put the resistor on. I am going to check it again. Could be a bad contact. The security light does come on when trying to start it.

I have HP Tuners and 2002 Camaro License. I can turn it off for you if you want.
Thanks for the offer. I will consider it.

Are you sure you did it correctly?

You'll need to test your key to know what ohm resistor to use http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
I did it per the diagram and I used the site for you posted as reference.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I used the correct resisitor value. It did start right up after I put the resistor on. I am going to check it again. Could be a bad contact. The security light does come on when trying to start it.
I'd start there. I highly doubt that you have two faults in your VATS. Redo the resistor splicing and you should be good.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

End rant...
If you chose to go the software way, were just up the 91fwy and could do it in about 2.5mins
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can turn it off for free if you decide to go the software route, i just advise to double check everything i make sure the vats is the culprit

Quick Reply: VATS Rant