LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

push rod 503

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default push rod 503

got my engine down and everything out got cam in springs changed ... now i am down to just a few peice to buy main thing is push rods how long do i need them and i am running 503 with wit bowtie 1.6 rr. any help would be nice . and whats the best and cheapest timing chain
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by saylorZ28
got my engine down and everything out got cam in springs changed ... now i am down to just a few peice to buy main thing is push rods how long do i need them and i am running 503 with wit bowtie 1.6 rr. any help would be nice . and whats the best and cheapest timing chain
If the heads have never touched or off the car, then you "should" be ok with stock length 7.2" pushrods. Get chromemoly if you can. Now if you want to be full proof, you should do the right method and use an adjustable pushrod to verify the appropriate pushrod length for your application.
I think you can get a Lunati Timing set off of Summit for a good price.

P.S. Your sig says '96 Z27
Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

yea man 96 z27 is a rare car lol one of a kind .. lmmao i didnt see that .. but thanks use a lenght checker the last one i used she just about choked to death... no really tho while that net me some more lift or what and they are stock heads never been off the car ...
Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Stock GM timing chain through GMPARTSDIRECT...like 35 bucks. And I would measure for the correct length P.R. other then guessing.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea man 96 z27 is a rare car lol one of a kind .. lmmao i didnt see that .. but thanks use a lenght checker the last one i used she just about choked to death... no really tho while that net me some more lift or what and they are stock heads never been off the car ...
The adjustable push rod is just a tool used to make that you are using the correct length pushrods. If you use too long or too short of a pushrod you will not only have performance issues, but you could trash your valvetrain.
You said that YOU never had the heads off, are you positive they were never taken off ever? If so, then 7.2" 'should' be fine. But measuring is always your best bet.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running comp cams welded tip stock replacement (7.2) pushrods on my car with a comp 503 and comp 918's.

they've been on there for 3 years and no problem yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

...and by "checking" PR length you bring #1 cyl to TDC (any cyl works), remove rocker, mark valve tip with sharpie marker, lash rocker 1/2 turn, turn engine by hand 2 times, remove rocker and if witness mark is DEAD center you are cool with the stock PR of 7.2"

If not then get a PR check tool as noted and repeat process by setting it to .050 longer/shorter incriments. I have a cheap plastic T metric ruler I push the PR tool against and use a small metal straight edge against the other and "adjust" the PR tool to whatever length I want. Good idea to put a small piece of tape on PR tool to keep the "new" length exactly where you set it.

If the witness mark is towards exhaust than a shorter PR. If it is towards the engine a longer PR.

Typically PR come in .050 length difference. Trick Flow is a good one, many others.

Don't F around with valve train geometry. get it right or severe wear will result. PR length, valve lash preload are 2 things if you F up can cost big $ later.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

geometry yea uh ok can i use the old sbc shade tree way of adjusting my rockers ? lol and i need what to look for on valve lash
Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

geometry yea uh ok can i use the old sbc shade tree way of adjusting my rockers ? lol and i need what to look for on valve lash
Adjusting rockers with poly locks is a breeze.

When at #1 TDC you can adjust the following valves:

Intake: 1, 2, 5, 7
Exhaust: 1, 3, 4, 8

Rotate the crank one revolution until the pointer is again at 12 o'clock. This will let you adjust the remainder of the valves. If you did #1 the previous time, you should be now at #6 TDC.

When at #6 TDC you can adjust the following valves:

Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8
Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7

For each rocker, all you have to do is back off the set screw and slowly tighten the lock until it seats on the rocker (it will just stop). Then add your preload (I used 1/2 turn) with a 16mm wrench. Then tighten the set screw and finally since down the lock again.

That's the initial adjustment, it will get the car running. Once the car is running, you'll want to have the valve covers off and redo each rocker one by one (not following the numbers above) one side at a time. Back off the set screw again, loosen the lock, the rocker will clank and wobble around. Then follow the same procedure as before...slowly turn the lock til it seats, add 1/2 turn, seat the set screw, tighten the lock good and tight. Then move on the the next one.

The adjust the second time around should make your rockers PERFECTLY aligned. It's best to adjust them again with the car running to make sure that your first adjustment wasn't off because the lifters bled down or anything.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Adjusting rockers with poly locks is a breeze.

When at #1 TDC you can adjust the following valves:

Intake: 1, 2, 5, 7
Exhaust: 1, 3, 4, 8

Rotate the crank one revolution until the pointer is again at 12 o'clock. This will let you adjust the remainder of the valves. If you did #1 the previous time, you should be now at #6 TDC.

When at #6 TDC you can adjust the following valves:

Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8
Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7

For each rocker, all you have to do is back off the set screw and slowly tighten the lock until it seats on the rocker (it will just stop). Then add your preload (I used 1/2 turn) with a 16mm wrench. Then tighten the set screw and finally since down the lock again.

That's the initial adjustment, it will get the car running. Once the car is running, you'll want to have the valve covers off and redo each rocker one by one (not following the numbers above) one side at a time. Back off the set screw again, loosen the lock, the rocker will clank and wobble around. Then follow the same procedure as before...slowly turn the lock til it seats, add 1/2 turn, seat the set screw, tighten the lock good and tight. Then move on the the next one.

The adjust the second time around should make your rockers PERFECTLY aligned. It's best to adjust them again with the car running to make sure that your first adjustment wasn't off because the lifters bled down or anything.
It should be noted that this method does work with most small and medium-aggressive grinds, but cams with significant duration you'll want to do one-by-one. Simply because you'll need to ensure that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam and not in the midst of opening/closing when the adjustment is made. But for the 503, this method will work fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

thats what i do thanks ... it has a 112 lsa would that be good with n20
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will be just fine, but it could be better with a nitrous grind. N2O grinds have lots of exhaust duration and minimal overlap to help evacuate the CC and prevent N2O from passing out the exhaust valve un-combusted.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It should be noted that this method does work with most small and medium-aggressive grinds, but cams with significant duration you'll want to do one-by-one. Simply because you'll need to ensure that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam and not in the midst of opening/closing when the adjustment is made. But for the 503, this method will work fine.
That is why I said use the numbers to get the initial adjustment, and then readjust them with the car running, one by one.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
That is why I said use the numbers to get the initial adjustment, and then readjust them with the car running, one by one.
I gotcha.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

thats good i duno but i am hopping with this set up a gear and a shot i can hit 12's or high 111's doubtful but i am optimistic
Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats good i duno but i am hopping with this set up a gear and a shot i can hit 12's or high 111's doubtful but i am optimistic
You'll hit the high 111's no problem.

The CC503 cam only build should be enough to break into the 12's. With a big enough shot, 11's are possible.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

lol i cant pe fer chit . but that is good to here i have also seen pics of peoples plug wires where can i get sum that run over or under the headers
Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol i cant pe fer chit . but that is good to here i have also seen pics of peoples plug wires where can i get sum that run over or under the headers
Here's a pic of the OTVC kit, couldn't understand any of the rest of your post though.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

i was trying to say i cant type for **** but . i was saying that it good that you say i can possibly hit my goal .....i like that look of otvc kit does anyone make a plug wire kit to fit or is it a cut and fit thing
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

ok 7.2 long what diamteter would those be i have found two or three different sizes ... got to change the oil PAN GASKET pita !!!but i think i can do it without rasiing the motor just lookin but i beleive if i have enought room when it is fully unbolted i can just slightly strech it over and be done who all had this prob

Quick Reply: push rod 503