Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 403 TO 370 LS1, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 403 TO 370 LS1, Questions

Thinking about going with a dif type of FI. I have a 403 but its high compression. The lowest I can go without changing Pistions is 10.5:1.
Heres my options:

Bore my 403 out more, 408 4.030 Low Compression pistons and rebalance everything. Thats probablly pushing it with the larger bore?

Sell the 403 Shortblock and go with a 370 or 408 Shortblock. Does that mean I have to find all the LS1 Covers and redo all the wiring that was done to adapt the LS2 Block?

Whats the best option?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of FI are you thinking about doing? What heads do you want to run?

.030" over LS2 and FI is probably not a good idea. You might get away with a nice hone to clean up the cylinders, or .010" over if needed would be cool.

If you swap to the iron 6.0 block you would need the LS1 covers, etc.

It looks like you're already making decent power with that magnacharger. If you're thinking turbo and 1K rwhp, the iron block may be a better option.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss1
What kind of FI are you thinking about doing? What heads do you want to run?

.030" over LS2 and FI is probably not a good idea. You might get away with a nice hone to clean up the cylinders, or .010" over if needed would be cool.

If you swap to the iron 6.0 block you would need the LS1 covers, etc.

It looks like you're already making decent power with that magnacharger. If you're thinking turbo and 1K rwhp, the iron block may be a better option.
Im thinking about going turbo. My setup so would be my AFR 225 72cc Heads I have, Im still looking for a intake manifold.
The numbers in Sig is Maggie+Nitrous. It makes 585rwhp with just the maggie, Kinda lacking IMO. So Im stepping it up.
Is there a place that sells the covers, besides ebaying it? Also are the sensors interchangable?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The covers shouldn't hold you back, they can be had for cheap money used and the wiring harness adapters arent expensive either ($50 for the two of them).

The 408 or 370 is pretty decently priced these days, I can set you up with a reliable build if your interested.

Given the choice I'd probably sell the 403 and go to the 408. UNLESS your doing the work yourself. Then your saving good money. But If you've got to pay have it torn down and then put back together the money gets closer to the cost of a new shortblock.
I havent crunched the numbers or anything like that but you have to take all those things into account and if your not doing them then your paying someone to do it. Plus shipping if you don't have a local shop you trust.

So when you weigh out the money, if you get anything around 2k for your current shortblock your only into a 408 for about 2k more. A 370 a little less.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01SOMm6
Whats the best option?
Work to rebuild shortblock is extensive, its not just replacing the pistons.
You bore the block and provided you go with the same design piston, its now
heavier and you will have have to rebalance the crankshaft. Lot more cleaning
involved with a used block.

Used block we typically surface it .010", so I order the pistons .010" shorter.

Many people in this situation, I normally recommend, selling the existing shortblock, provided its in good condition.

Nothing wrong with rebuilding a motor, the machine work costs 2x though a new build in many cases.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
The covers shouldn't hold you back, they can be had for cheap money used and the wiring harness adapters arent expensive either ($50 for the two of them).

The 408 or 370 is pretty decently priced these days, I can set you up with a reliable build if your interested.

Given the choice I'd probably sell the 403 and go to the 408. UNLESS your doing the work yourself. Then your saving good money. But If you've got to pay have it torn down and then put back together the money gets closer to the cost of a new shortblock.
I havent crunched the numbers or anything like that but you have to take all those things into account and if your not doing them then your paying someone to do it. Plus shipping if you don't have a local shop you trust.

So when you weigh out the money, if you get anything around 2k for your current shortblock your only into a 408 for about 2k more. A 370 a little less.
Im starting to think Im going to spend the little extra on the 408. I wouldnt be doing the work so Im just selling my old shortblock outright.
Can you shoot me a PM on a 408 ShortBlock able to hold some power and high boost levels?
What do you guys think I could get for this shortblock?
Roughly Under 6500 miles on the shortblock
4.005 -2cc Manley Flat Tops
4.000 Callies Dragonslayer Crank
Callies Compstar Rods
Hell Fire Rings
Its a SDPC Shortblock
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do.

Quick Reply: LS2 403 TO 370 LS1, Questions