4l80e stand alone controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default 4l80e stand alone controller

i may build another 4l80e to use with a controller, looking at 3 diff ones
TCI, Compushift, and PCS
i kind of like the Compushift, as you dont need a laptop, has its own display, but wonder how much control you have with it
i had one of the early tci's(GM) and it was way over my head in computer skills, lol
their all around the $1000-1200 range, unless i got a killer deal somewhere
like to hear what you guys are using, esp the computer challanged people, lol
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trinity has the pcs for 850 I think. But you need a laptop. I'm still on the fence with mine too. I'm sure it comes with a basic tune on it. I'd just get it running and call Trinity and let them walk you through it.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Firechikn
Trinity has the pcs for 850 I think. But you need a laptop. I'm still on the fence with mine too. I'm sure it comes with a basic tune on it. I'd just get it running and call Trinity and let them walk you through it.
TCI Purchases theirs from PCS. You can program them with a Desktop if you buy the adapter kit. Just a little difficult doing changes on the fly.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

I've run the TCI for 2 years now with no problems. Once I got it set to how I liked it I never touch it. Easy to set up, all the adjustments I needed.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

i called a guy at PCS today, as said, they sell them to TCI-what he told me was they take some control out of them for TCI, so people dont go in and screw up some stuff(the Pcs one has a wide range of control for diff trans)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume from this that you have given up on the transgo-3 fmvb?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

I have used compushift on many cars and I love that it is driver adjustable and no laptop is needed. If you need one give me a call. I have one on the shelf.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

i havent given up yet, but if i cant find out whats wrong, im gonna change out the v/b (i just picked up another 04 trans) or rebuild it and go fully automatic
my stroker is ready to go in, so i will switch back to my switch/pitch 400
since i know what i have there, dial it in, them go back to messing with the
4l80e-i prob should have gone with a controller to start with, rebuilding a trans and converting it to man at the same time left open the door for to much chance of something going wrong, lol-im not much of a trans person, but theres nothing on a car that i dont do myself(except interior) and sometimes it costs me more money than if i had someone else do it
i have put about 150 miles on it so far, enough to know i love the o/d and lockup converter, but with the other trans (400) the car had much more power-i'll get it figured out, but i think it will end up with a controller
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed an HGM controller for my 4L80e and then it snowed forever. I only took a short drive with it, but I think it controls the trani nicely and I feel that it is simple to program yet also has enough flexibility when changes are needed.

Mike at HGM is very helpful when you have questions, another plus.

When I last drove it, the speedo was reading way fast. I hope I can get this straightened out but I have a feeling I'll have to get a speedo calibration box.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i havent given up yet, but if i cant find out whats wrong, im gonna change out the v/b (i just picked up another 04 trans) or rebuild it and go fully automatic...i have put about 150 miles on it so far, enough to know i love the o/d and lockup converter, but with the other trans (400) the car had much more power-i'll get it figured out, but i think it will end up with a controller
I know how you feel. I removed a TH400 and dual predator carbs, installed a 4L80E & dual edelbrock 750's. Changing more than 1 thing at a time was a mistake, but having O.D. is awesome. My trans is working good so far with the mods, but the TH400 I had only failed when I applied full throttle in drive @ about 40 mph, and I haven't tried that yet with the 4L80E... I will update if something really bad happens.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

When you get tired of those problems give us a call.

Quick Reply: 4l80e stand alone controller