LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water in OPTI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in OPTI?

I had to drive my car home the other day during a torrential downpour (don't normally drive it in the rain) Anyways, now it is intermittently missing. I guess its a possibility that I got some water in there. Is there any way to fix this with out pulling the w/p and what not? Can you just put maybe some air to the vent line? It is an MSD cap and rotor on a A/C Delco opti. I also changed the plugs the same day it rained. I checked all the wires thinking that maybe it was one of those. So I guess I will change the wires today because I noticed one had a small rub in it. But if that doesn't fix it, will driving it slowly evaporate the moisture in the opti?

D

BTW Search function isn't working.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihasfip
I had to drive my car home the other day during a torrential downpour (don't normally drive it in the rain) Anyways, now it is intermittently missing. I guess its a possibility that I got some water in there. Is there any way to fix this with out pulling the w/p and what not? Can you just put maybe some air to the vent line? It is an MSD cap and rotor on a A/C Delco opti. I also changed the plugs the same day it rained. I checked all the wires thinking that maybe it was one of those. So I guess I will change the wires today because I noticed one had a small rub in it. But if that doesn't fix it, will driving it slowly evaporate the moisture in the opti?

D

BTW Search function isn't working.
If you changed plugs and wires during the same day an intermittent miss occurs, I would check to make sure that the wires are fully seated on both ends, check the coil wire too. Make sure that the wires are not getting burned by, or arching to the headers. Hopefully if it is moisture in the opti, it will dry out and you'll be fine.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Well I already checked the wires. They are fully seated. I did have one that had a nick in it from the idler pulley, but I didn't appear to go through. I don't recall it doing it when I drove it after the plug change. It seemed to do it after it rained and I hit a large puddle of water. I guess there is nothing to do to speed up the drying process? I went a drove it about 15 miles yesterday, but it didn't help. Then on my 3 mile drive to work it did fine up until the last 1/2 mile and started missing again. PITA opti POS.

D
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Mod's ya'll think this would go better in the general maint. section?

D
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I already checked the wires. They are fully seated. I did have one that had a nick in it from the idler pulley, but I didn't appear to go through. I don't recall it doing it when I drove it after the plug change. It seemed to do it after it rained and I hit a large puddle of water. I guess there is nothing to do to speed up the drying process? I went a drove it about 15 miles yesterday, but it didn't help. Then on my 3 mile drive to work it did fine up until the last 1/2 mile and started missing again. PITA opti POS.

D
Start the engine in the dark and look under the hood. A nick in a wire can easily cause spark to jump if it's close to another metal object...i.e. your idler pulley.

Other than that, it's likely your opti is toast.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

PITA opti POS.

D

First mod you should of done when you got the car was seal the opti. You never would of had this problem
Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
First mod you should of done when you got the car was seal the opti. You never would of had this problem
how do you seal your opti?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MTBSully
how do you seal your opti?
You can remove the cap and apply silicone or rtv along the sealing surface. Just extra insurance against moisture. While you are at it, you should remove and thread lock the rotor screws.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Well this is a new opti. I just put it on there a few months ago. I didn't think I needed to as the cap had a nice thick rubber o-ring around it. And then the vent ran way up to the intake tube. How else would you seal it?

D
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You can remove the cap and apply silicone or rtv along the sealing surface. Just extra insurance against moisture. While you are at it, you should remove and thread lock the rotor screws.
I also already did the threadlock mod.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well this is a new opti. I just put it on there a few months ago. I didn't think I needed to as the cap had a nice thick rubber o-ring around it. And then the vent ran way up to the intake tube. How else would you seal it?

D
That o-ring isn't enough in some cases. Get a tube of clear silicone and just put globs of it on the mating surfaces (not so much that it droops into the opti - but enough) then when you bolt the cap on the opti, take a nice bead of silicone around the circumfrance of the opti and run your finger around it to clean it up/smooth it out.

I've been through puddles where the water was level with the opti (scuba-opti) and the car never showed me a sign of hesitation.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Hm, so I guess if it doesn't clear up in a day or 2 then I will pull the ******* w/p off and all that other garbage in the way, and dry it out and silicone the **** out of it. You think it will dry out relatively quickly?

D
Old 02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hm, so I guess if it doesn't clear up in a day or 2 then I will pull the ******* w/p off and all that other garbage in the way, and dry it out and silicone the **** out of it. You think it will dry out relatively quickly?

D
If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days, then it might be your opti is bad, or it might mean that your problem is elsewhere. But if you do go through all of the trouble to remove the water pump and balancer, might as well replace the opti if it's got a lot of miles rather than try to fix it up.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days, then it might be your opti is bad, or it might mean that your problem is elsewhere. But if you do go through all of the trouble to remove the water pump and balancer, might as well replace the opti if it's got a lot of miles rather than try to fix it up.
Like I said above it is a new AC Delco opti, with a MSD cap and rotor. It has no more than 9k miles. This is the first time I have ever drove this car in the rain.
D
Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like I said above it is a new AC Delco opti, with a MSD cap and rotor. It has no more than 9k miles. This is the first time I have ever drove this car in the rain.
D
Oh, well hopefully it dries out for you (if it is water in the opti that is the problem, don't fixate on one thing).

Quick Reply: Water in OPTI?