Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gears Gearing and Speed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gears Gearing and Speed.

Ok, so I have been thinking about getting gears lately I have a M6 3:42's? and a friend has an A4 with 3:23's? I think anyway. that's not as important to me as this.

1 how would going to 3:73's or 4:10's or any of the combinations in between effect my shift points. right now i can JUST get to 60 in second gear ( that's abotu the shift point for me normally) I can't remember first. because it happens pretty quick. and it's been 3 months since i've driven the car hard ( or much at all)

so how will the gears effect shift points,

would it be better to change things in the Tranny since i have to redo the synchro's anyway,

and how would top speed be effected?

car is a street car first drag car rarely and some sporatic auto crossing and i'm planning a heads/cam upgrade this spring.

please tell me your experience. maybe i can draw a conclusion
Old 02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

bigger gears will result in you having to shift sooner and will increase acceleration. if you shift out of second at 60 then with the taller gears you will shift at say 50 (don't know the actual speed, just an example). Top speed would be decreased.

given what you have said i would say you would probably want to go with 3.73's.

As far as changing things in the tranny i have no clue.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Using the tach to shift the points will be the same but your speedometer will be off.Also since the car will regisister more miles than you actually travel so you will have to get that reset for different gears.The top speed will drop since rpm per distance traveled will be higher.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I can recalibrate for gears myself ( HP tuners user)
Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Man
The top speed will drop since rpm per distance traveled will be higher.

Our cars usually reach top speed in 5th gear, on a M6 car, and I would not be surprised to see a car go faster with the lower gear ratio due to the available torque at the wheels. Something else to think about is how often are you going to be trying to reach that high of a speed? These cars top speed is well over 150mph! stock. I seriously doubt that you are going that fast very often. As for the quote that may be true but very few cars will hit the rev limiter in their highest gear.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Launching!

I"m actually more interested in not having to shift a second time to get to 60. and have thought about changing gears etc. in the transmission. a high top speed number is cool but not if you can never get there
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

correct me if im wrong but in order to keep from shifting a second time wouldn't you have to go with smaller gears? im not so sure i would go that route. but i may be confussed.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Launching!

I have 3:42's right now.and i shift to third right at 60.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right...so in order to get to 60 earlier in your shift pattern i.e. 1st gear, you'd need to go numerically lower in gearing.

That's going to make your car not as quick, and might affect MPG depending how small you'd have to go.

Whats the deal with having to go 60 in 1st gear? Why that as a "benchmark"? And where are you regularily going to be going 150+ mph?? haha. Just curious.

J.

Edit: Im not sure what your mods are... But mine are in my sig. Im running 3.73s, and a T56. Here's a vid of mine, and Im short shifting. But still fairly spirited driving. Looks like I crest 60 in second, and I think third takes me over 80. But like I said, Im shifting pretty early, and Im also spinning alittle. Just as a visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdji9PETqxA

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 02-17-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Launching!

I never said or implied i wanted to get to 60 in first gear, i just don't want to have to shift a SECOND TIME to get to 60 MPH Some vette i was in did that i'm not sure which one.. 1-2 shift at 60. for me the 2-3 shift at 60 is just fine. but at 50 it's not fine.

I'll check out the vid when i have the time.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops...my fault. I mis-read. I thought you were trying to go 60 in 1st. What I said about numerically lower gears still stands either way.

Not sure what vette final drive ratios are or what gears they use...you got me there.

J.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

i believe in order to accomplish what you are trying to do with out sacrificing to much performance will def. be transmission gearing. i know very little about what is out there with that regard. the final drive and such will have to be altered as ghettocruiser mentioned.