Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark or Fire when Turning Over (LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Spark or Fire when Turning Over (LS1)

Ok, worked on car for a while rebuilding. 2000 SS Camaro. LS1 Engine. Auto Transmission. Bought it wrecked and fixed as fast as a broke college kid can afford! So 3 years later. Basically it hit a light pole and I replaced all that. No frame damage. Engine ran fine. Well I got a job every other semester in another state for a while and didn't do anything but body work for a while. Since then, the fuel pump clogged because I didn't stabilize it. So I bought new tank, pump, and filter. Started up fine.

After this, I had spark plugs, wires, air filter, and oil changed.

Now I have another problem. I put a major stereo system in it. (All turns off with a fuse under the hood- Nice Stinger brand one). My battery kept running down. I had a yellow top optima in it and a heavy duty alternator installed. (Don't remember all the specs, but the alternator still does its job when the car cranks). So now the store recommended a Red Top Optima since the other 2 yellows quit while under warranty.

Since I am not "Done" with the car- need one body molding applied, one inner fender, and adjust one fender a little better. And type the 10 page report for highway patrol to get it inspected and make it road legal. So I only crank it about 2 times a month. Fuse is pulled on stereo system. I use no factory wires for it except Head Unit to Factory wiring harness (did not connect the speaker connections as I ran all wires from another amp and RCA's) So no power is being drawn from all this.

Car does not receive power to spark. It will turn over, receives fuel pressure, and the security light isn't lit up. Last time it cranked when they wiggled the cover to the computer. Maybe that was problem, maybe not. It will not crank now. I doubt all the coil packs went out at once. Does anyone have any obvious answers I might be missing? The computer on this car was replaced previously, don't remember why, just remember doing it. I am at my wits end and will be removing all my stereo stuff to send it to an "Auto Electric" shop near me at the end of the week if I can't figure it out. HELP!

PS- I did body work, interior, stereo installation. I can handle basic engine stuff, but my husband and dad do most of the technical stuff in that area. I can't diagnose stuff, but can replace things when I know what is wrong. Now you know what kind of person you are dealing with.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OKay so you have no spark? What about the injectors? Are they firing off? I understand your getting fuel pressure but are the injectors firing as well? How are you checking spark? Recheck your connections at the PCM and Coil Harnesses. Switch the ignition relay with another like relay and see if that helps. Let me know what you get from there.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the pcm and harness of the same year? Since the pcm was replaced. If not of the same year there are some connections are switched over.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a PCM or coil issue if spark plugs arent sparking. pull out a plug and ground it while someone else cranks and see if u get a spark

could also be injectors not working. check fuel pressure at the rail and make sure the fuel pump is even running
Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

crank sensor gone bad maybe??
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

I found this thread and have a similar problem. I did an oil pan replacement and did what I had found a thread on LS1 tech about. Jacked up the engine. I reassembled everything....oh and by the way I did an a/c delete while I was at it. Anyway when it was all done I went to start it and it won't start. It has fuel pressure, I was wondering if something needs reset when the battery has been disconnected? Did I break something or disconnect something behind the motor while jacking it 3 inches in the air out of the k-member? Plz help I'm desperate...ran a diagnostics on it and got nothing except misfire codes due to no spark. Please PM me....anyone?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the grounds that attach to the back of both cylinder heads. They are not particularly vunerable to engine movement but are necessary for the engine to run. Also make sure the battery ground is clean (even if it cranks) - it provides reference voltage for some of the other sensors.

Quick Reply: No Spark or Fire when Turning Over (LS1)