Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

BFG Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG Drag Radials

Is there a difference between the old tread and the new tread? Does one hook better than the other? I have M/T on different rims for the track. These will be 315's so will they hook 500 rwhp? i have the nittos (not the drag radials) but i hear the nitto drag radials are really skinny compared to other drag radials, and they dont hook very well. Thanks for any input
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 555R and the BFG drag radial are both great tires. Yes, the BFG tends to run wider than the 555R and it hooks a little better as well but you are going to want to consider your application. If you regularly take the vehicle to the track and run 1/4 miles than the BFG may be the one for you. If you are looking for an everyday tire that will hook well on the street the 555R is hard to beat. As for life, consider Heat Cycling either one. It will help increase the tires life and performance.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

well i have mickeys for the track so im not worried about that. All i know is my 555's give me no traction whatsoever. Do you know off hand how much wider the BFG's would be? This is basically just a nice weather/weekend car for these tires. As i said i have slicks for the track. Also is there a difference between the old tread pattern of the BFG's and the new tread "fire" pattern? Does one hook better? Wear faster? Thanks again
Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never used nitto, but my buddy had them in a 275 and they were horrible. he now has a bfg dr in a 275 and it wont hook to great for him in first gear with a 3600 stall and 540rwhp.

I have 315 hoosier drag radials and i can hook up in any gear at any speed. I had the bfg dr's in a 315 before these and they hooked very good from a roll, but not that great from a dead stop.

The bfgs are also wider than the nitto and the hoosiers i have now are wider than the bfgs i had. I recommend the bfgs or the mt's in a 315. I dont think I will buy the hoosiers again. The sidewall is too soft for me and i really liked the bfgs, since i really only roll race anyways.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

thanks, yeah the nittos are awful! i looked at the hoosiers but, its a slick with two little lines doesnt seem very street friendly to me. Your BFG's are they the new pattern or the old pattern?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt know they had a new pattern. I thought that the 17's only came in the older pattern and the 18's came in the newer pattern. I had 17's so they were the older pattern.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

ah i see well then i guess that answers my questions, thanks! and off hand does anyone know how much wider they are than the nittos like in inches?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefro6996
never used nitto, but my buddy had them in a 275 and they were horrible. he now has a bfg dr in a 275 and it wont hook to great for him in first gear with a 3600 stall and 540rwhp.

I have 315 hoosier drag radials and i can hook up in any gear at any speed. I had the bfg dr's in a 315 before these and they hooked very good from a roll, but not that great from a dead stop.

The bfgs are also wider than the nitto and the hoosiers i have now are wider than the bfgs i had. I recommend the bfgs or the mt's in a 315. I dont think I will buy the hoosiers again. The sidewall is too soft for me and i really liked the bfgs, since i really only roll race anyways.
What were you pulling with the BFGs? I was getting consistent 1.52 60fts on the nitrous. That was good enough for me with stock suspension.