Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ipod to stock monsoon in 01 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod to stock monsoon in 01 Z28

I have done some searches for this and cannot seem to find anything. I have heard that if you have a 12 disc changer there is some way to use the wiring harness for it to hook up your ipod instead. Is there any truth to this? If so how do you go about doing this? I am really not wanting to use an FM transmitter. I would much rather be able to use the auxilary on my factory head unit. I would really appreciate any info you guys could give me for this.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

There is one. Try going to crutchfield.com and go to the Ipod adapters under Car Audio and put in your car. I have the USA Spec interface for my Stock Monsoon system and it works pretty good. I can even skip songs using the factory seek buttons on the steering wheel. It will also charge your Ipod as well, so you will never get stuck with a dead one.
Just an FYI if you have a newer Ipod, like the 4th gen Nano or an ipod touch you will need to get an updated cable that they do NOT send in the kit in order to charge it. I had to learn that the hard way. Otherwise you get a message like "unauthorized charger"
Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

anymore info on this? and will it work with a T/A ?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

did some research and went to crutchfield.com and ordered it, the site says that it will work with the newer ipods.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I had one on the Monsoon HU in my Camaro SS. It is called ipod2car and it works well (AFAIK works in the TA too as it connects to the CD changer port), but I eventually upgraded to a Pioneer NAV HU. It's for sale, PM if interested.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Check the Monsoon FAQ at the top. It's all in there.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

so does this only apply for those that have the 12 disc cd changer? I have the monsoon, but no disc changer....
Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Striker
so does this only apply for those that have the 12 disc cd changer? I have the monsoon, but no disc changer....
No; it's the connection on the back of the headunit that you will need to use. All Monsoon's from 2000 forward (I think?) have that connection. You just plug in the Ipod interface there.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

from the Monsoon FAQ

"Adding an auxiliary input to the factory system involves using an adapter that only works on certain models. Even the adapter manufacturers aren't clear on which models will work so here is the rundown. Auxiliary adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit will only work with head units that are capable of controlling the factory external CD changer. Even though all models had the CD changer port not all models could control a changer - the port was also used for an external cassette player that was offered in some GM models but never in F-bodies. All cassette head units were capable of controlling the factory changer. Only late '99 and newer models of single CD head units could connect to the factory changer. There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit so you're best to go with 2000 or newer. '01 and '02 models had the added ability to control more than one external device so you could have both the changer and an auxiliary device attached - prior to that it was only one or the other. Auxiliary input adapters are made by PIE (Peripheral Interface Electronics), PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) and USA Spec. The PAC adapters require a factory changer to work even though you can't use the changer after installing the adapter so one of the other two products are probably a better choice. PIE and USA Spec also make iPod-specific adapters that allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel controls and also recharge the iPod battery."
Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the peripheral brand.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 99 with a monsoon (no disc changer) is there a write up on how I can do this?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

I checked the box of the device I have. It's called iSimple GM (ISGM73).

If you have the wiring for the stock CD changer you can hook it up in the trunk and run the ipod connector into the center console from there. The plug for the CD changer is in the left cubby hole under a carpet flap (at least in the 'vert, but I think the coupe is the same). The plug fits into the device without an adapter.

If you want it more fancy, you need to pull the stereo from the dash and plug the device in behind. There is an adapter cable included with the device. To hide the cable you need to take off the top of the center console and run it inside.

Either way, it's not a very complicated install.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

Forgot: The manufacturer of the iSimple is Peripheral Technology.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

seems easy, but pictures would be helpful. I wouldnt want wires running around everywhere thats for sure. If I can hide them somewhere and have the iPod somewhere in the center console that would be great.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Teching In

GM10-AUX...thats all you need to hook up auxillary device to one of our cars that has the plug for the cd changer in the rear next to the speakers on driver side, cost about 70 bucks search around for it i just bought mine and works great with the factory monsoon
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by trevdawg911
GM10-AUX...thats all you need to hook up auxillary device to one of our cars that has the plug for the cd changer in the rear next to the speakers on driver side, cost about 70 bucks search around for it i just bought mine and works great with the factory monsoon
It works, but doesn't charge the iPod like the other types. I used the USA Spec iPod adapter and it works well and charges the unit. You also can use the steering wheel controls to go to the next song.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't wanna spend so I just did the $2.99 radioshack mod a couple days ago and it works!!! Doesn't charge my iPhone but plays music! ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...k-hu-pics.html