383 Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 383 Cam Question

Just wondering if anyone has used this cam:

Comp XE 236 / 242, .520 / .540 112 LSA

or one similar to it in a 383. if so what are your impressions of it? power/e.t. numbers? where do you shift it at? I understand most people will say "go custom" but I was just using this cam as a base since I'm looking at it along with AI and LE grinds in a similar size
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myltwon
Just wondering if anyone has used this cam:

Comp XE 236 / 242, .520 / .540 112 LSA

or one similar to it in a 383. if so what are your impressions of it? power/e.t. numbers? where do you shift it at? I understand most people will say "go custom" but I was just using this cam as a base since I'm looking at it along with AI and LE grinds in a similar size
Excuse the long post, and sorry if its not 100% on topic

If you examine the difference between most off the shelf cams and the custom spec'd (or "semi-custom" ones like LE and AIs listed cams), you will notice that the custom cams all have 108-110 LSA and a lot more lift then the off the shelf ones. There is a reason for that, letting you get away with less duration while making the same peak power as an off the shelf cam but having more useable power under the curve.

Most off the shelf cams throw in lots of duration because too many uninformed motorists base their cams just on duration @ 50 numbers, then they compensate by using less then desirable LSA like 112 or more, and lowering the lift. You then end up with a cam that sounds mean as hell, and may make great peak numbers - but can usually get a custom with the same peak, better low end, easier to tune, and better drivability.

I'm willing to bet something like the LE 232/240 or AI 230/238 will both come within a few hp peak of that comp XE, but be easier to tune and have more low end. After spending all that money on a rebuild, and carefully choosing the parts for a car, for the extra couple of bucks I don't see the reason to go off the shelf with something as important as the cam.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Agreed! Good post.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure on LT1's, but on 383 thirdgens, with good exhaust, gearing, ect most thirdgen's are in the 11.7-11.9 range

It's a good streep strip cam and I was going to use that to replace my xr276 cam but i went custom instead
Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck

If you examine the difference between most off the shelf cams and the custom spec'd (or "semi-custom" ones like LE and AIs listed cams), you will notice that the custom cams all have 108-110 LSA and a lot more lift then the off the shelf ones. There is a reason for that, letting you get away with less duration while making the same peak power as an off the shelf cam but having more useable power under the curve.

Most off the shelf cams throw in lots of duration because too many uninformed motorists base their cams just on duration @ 50 numbers, then they compensate by using less then desirable LSA like 112 or more, and lowering the lift. You then end up with a cam that sounds mean as hell, and may make great peak numbers - but can usually get a custom with the same peak, better low end, easier to tune, and better drivability.

I'm willing to bet something like the LE 232/240 or AI 230/238 will both come within a few hp peak of that comp XE, but be easier to tune and have more low end. After spending all that money on a rebuild, and carefully choosing the parts for a car, for the extra couple of bucks I don't see the reason to go off the shelf with something as important as the cam.
Good points and all are true but the reson that cam companys use more duration and less lift has to do with . larger duration with les lift means less acceleration of the seat . which means less valve spring pressure and less wear and lifter problems it takes pressure to controle the valve when you start opening the valve fast . so many builders want to skimp on valve springs and other valve train parts. And the first thing they say it was the cams falt when they beat the rollers off a set of stock lifters. If you want to make good power and be reliable listen to Puck but do not skimp on springs any other parts in the valve train. get a Custom i have not used a off the shelf in 15 years.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pmbmax
Good points and all are true but the reson that cam companys use more duration and less lift has to do with . larger duration with les lift means less acceleration of the seat . which means less valve spring pressure and less wear and lifter problems it takes pressure to controle the valve when you start opening the valve fast . so many builders want to skimp on valve springs and other valve train parts. And the first thing they say it was the cams falt when they beat the rollers off a set of stock lifters. If you want to make good power and be reliable listen to Puck but do not skimp on springs any other parts in the valve train. get a Custom i have not used a off the shelf in 15 years.
I compeltely agree .

They know that people will skimp on parts, and also that what someone THINKS they want and what they really want are not always the same thing...so a lot of off the shelf grinds are made to compensate.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're interested in how it sounds, take a listen to my sig clip. I used that cam on my previous build.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck

I agree 100% and see all your points, plan on going custom for only a few more bucks anyways, just figured a comp grind would be alot easier to find examples of people using it since many people with AI/LE cams don't enjoy sharing cam spec info as much.

I wondering how a cam of around that size (like the LE/AI with similar duration but with a bit more lift and on a 108~LSA) reacts in 383 and just wondering if anyone had a real world experience of a similar ground whether it be the LE/AI variants or an off the shelf cam

btw I am running the Crane Dual Coils (10308 I believe) would you see the bigger off the shelf LE/AI cams (.58x Lift) being a problem running too close to the max lift since they're rated for .600"?

Last edited by myltwon; 02-22-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If you're interested in how it sounds, take a listen to my sig clip. I used that cam on my previous build.
yeah heard that clip a while ago back on fbody.com and always thought it sounded nasty
Old 02-22-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myltwon
btw I am running the Crane Dual Coils (10308 I believe) would you see the bigger off the shelf LE/AI cams (.58x Lift) being a problem running too close to the max lift since they're rated for .600"?
I ran that spring set without any valvetrain control issues to 6300 rpms with .570 lift, but the cam also had almost 10* less duration on both sides.

The .58x lift will be fine, but it still depends on the cam lobes ramp rates and how high the cam you choose will peak since beehives will help you more then duals in high rpm engines with aggressive cam lobes.

Quick Reply: 383 Cam Question