General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to adjust winshield sprayers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust winshield sprayers?

Hey i was just wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the little windshield sprayers? The are flat with the rest of the wiper assembly so idk to to move them around. Right now they are spraying at the top of my windshield and actualy spraying a little over my car and spraying the back of it.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think you could, from what I know they are clipped to the cowl housing...thing.... I guess you could gently bend it to point correctly.

Someone else chime in I may be crazy.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do they appear to be mounted flush to the cowl panel?

I had my windshield replaced and when they reinstalled the cowl panel, somehow they knocked them out of adjustment. They did not sit flush and caused the washer to spray on the T-tops
Old 02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You don't adjust them. The nozzles are clogged, which is why the spray is off.

Usually, there is some grit or something in the nozzle. You can try to unclog them by taking the nozzle out of the car, immerse them in a jar of water, and then use a vacuum pump (like you'd use for bleeding brakes) and then suck water backwards through the nozzle.

...or you can buy new nozzles. (May be less expensive that way if you don't have a vacuum pump.) I suppose that you could also use the 'ol manual sucking method, but I'd be too worried about getting a mouthful of washer residue.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
You don't adjust them. The nozzles are clogged, which is why the spray is off.

Usually, there is some grit or something in the nozzle. You can try to unclog them by taking the nozzle out of the car, immerse them in a jar of water, and then use a vacuum pump (like you'd use for bleeding brakes) and then suck water backwards through the nozzle.

...or you can buy new nozzles. (May be less expensive that way if you don't have a vacuum pump.) I suppose that you could also use the 'ol manual sucking method, but I'd be too worried about getting a mouthful of washer residue.
Huh?

Yes, there is really no adjustment but they can come out of their set position.

Compressed air? Yup, that'l work.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Well they spray fine, but they spray at rather high pressure which supports your cloging theory. Maybe i can use a paperclip to dislodge whatever is in there and then push it out when i spray it?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02LS1
Well they spray fine, but they spray at rather high pressure which supports your cloging theory. Maybe i can use a paperclip to dislodge whatever is in there and then push it out when i spray it?
You don't want to stick anything in there. If you do, you could widen the opening or deform it - which will permanently screw up the spray.

If a clog has moved forward through the line, you need to move the clock backwards through the system. Sucking water or fluid backwards through the nozzle will do this, but its a bit of a pain to get it off and set up a rig to do all that.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You don't want to stick anything in there. If you do, you could widen the opening or deform it - which will permanently screw up the spray.

If a clog has moved forward through the line, you need to move the clock backwards through the system. Sucking water or fluid backwards through the nozzle will do this, but its a bit of a pain to get it off and set up a rig to do all that.
Yea thats a good point. Does anyone have any other easier methods to start with?