LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Goodbye to Pontiac?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Goodbye to Pontiac?

I haven't seen it in black and white yet but everyone seems pretty sure GM is going the phase out Saturn and Pontiac

MSNBC Video "End of the Line"

MSNBC Article

I had always held out hope for a new Trans Am but I don't think it will happen now.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

like what was said before its going to be a niche brand. might keep around the solstice and g8 for the end of their production runs.

but vibe, torrent, grand prix, g5, g6, etc may not stay in production if that makes any sense.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get it, kind of. I'm sure the niche brand thing is the means to an end though. They probably will phase it out over time so they don't screw their dealers. Pontiac has no exclusive models among other GM brands sold in the US except for the G8 (G6 doesn't share styling with malibu or saab 9-3 but is mechanically related). I can see them dropping everything except the solstice and G8 as well. But also, I think it is only a matter of time before we see an Impala G8 variant and the solstice rebranded or dropped completely
Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Being a niche brand it would only make sense to keep around the G8 and the Solstice. However there are no replacements in the wings for either of those cars at the end of their production runs, so it would seem as if though Pontiac would cease to exist.

I highly doubt we will see an Impala built on that platform though.

As for the Trans Am, you could have held out hope for a Firebird, but they legally could never make a "Trans Am' again.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20SS07
As for the Trans Am, you could have held out hope for a Firebird, but they legally could never make a "Trans Am' again.
Right, right the whole licensing thing. Whatever, a new formula firebird would have worked for me. Oh well
Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20SS07
I highly doubt we will see an Impala built on that platform though.
Never say never! The Chevy Lumina SS is a current model in Africa and the Middle East. Yes, it is a Holden Commodore / G8!

Chevrolet Arabia Website

Last edited by texasGXP08; 02-21-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

thats also msnbc... they reported the lady who had 8 babys bought a million some dollar house when they saw here going in and all she was doing was having an interview...

i heard saab saturn and hummer were going...
Old 02-21-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I know, there are plenty of variations of that car, don't forget the one from Vauxhall. There are plenty of great cars that will never see the light of day on US shores though. I don't see them selling an Impala variant in the states. Unfortunately, the majority of people who buy Impala's could care less whether it's FWD or RWD or if it has a V8 or not. They axed any hope of a zeta platform Impala a ways back and that was before it even was announced that GM didn't plan to bring over the next generation Commodore that's being developed now. So that would conceivably kill the G8 at the end of this model run and kill any chance of a RWD Impala. And now with all the financial trouble they're in, I just don't see it being of top concern.

And if/when we ever would see a RWD sedan from Chevy again, I actually wouldn't be surprised if it would use a name other than Impala. GM has hinted that the Impala will probably remain a FWD car from here on out.

All I gotta say is when the Impala actually does get a redesign, it better be damn good especially with the new Ford Taurus which looks to be a very good car, especially the SHO variant with the 365hp turbo six.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

True dat, twin turbo V6 with AWD to boot. I can't wait to see the aftermarket stuff for it.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I'd imagine eventually their should be a pretty good aftermarket for it since that motor is going to see duty in quite a few vehicles. It will probably end up in the Mustang too. I'd imagine a good tune alone would probably have it in the 400hp ballpark.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Sad Day For Pontiac. Thats why I will keep my Grand Prix Forever and Pass it down to my son
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Never say never! The Chevy Lumina SS is a current model in Africa and the Middle East. Yes, it is a Holden Commodore / G8!

Chevrolet Arabia Website
Is that a real Chevrolet site? A couple of the bow-ties are backwards!

Looks like a G8 to me - if you like that car you'll like a G8.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it's real. it is a g8 / commodore. Do a google search for Chevy Lumina SS for more info / pictures.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea there's a Holden, Pontiac, Chevy, and Vauxhall version of the car. All the same thing, just a matter of where in the world you are in which one you get.