Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe mini tubbing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post Wolfe mini tubbing questions

I'm pretty tired right now after quite a bit of research.

First off, is their any kind of instructions and or mearsurements with their kit so I know where to cut? I guess I can go off of other people's pictures. Some of them are hard to see whats going on though. It sees like its one of those mods where I won't fully understand what i'm doing until I actually start tearing into it.

Also, I keep seeing something about needing these spring purches and others say you can leave the suspension alone. For now, I JUST want to do the tubs. Later will be the rear end, wheels, and rear suspension. Can I leave my stock springs alone for now? If not, I'm screwed because of funds.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could leave them for the time being..... do you know how to weld? if not i would recommend just having someone do it for you
Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

I have a nice welder and can weld just fine. My buddy is going to be helping me too and he is very handy himself. He just redid the entire body of his 69' Camaro. He will be tubbing his car in a few years, so my car is a guinea pig for his later project.

Good to know I can leave the stock springs for now! And as I said, I probably won't fully know where and what to cut until I get into the project and see the stock tubs and new ones ect. ect. I know my car inside and out!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

I know you some of you guys have these tubs. Did they come with instructions? How did you know where to cut?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

No instructions with mine... just dug in and started cutting!

Lay everything out then try and take some measurements to get an idea what you are working with. From there, assembling the tubs helps to see how much needs to come off and where it needs to come from.

You can also use their pics, just be sure to leave a little extra so that you can do a final trim and get a good fit.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I install these mini-tub kits all the time.. Just got through doing 3 f-body's in a row. First off, cut out the inner tub. Best thing is to follow the inside of the seam.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Both of these pics are just to give you an idea of what the well will look like before you install the mini-tubs. There is alot of cutting involved, keep that in mind.

Drivers side

Also, you will be notching the frame. This isn't cut quite far enough back. (notice the arrow) I take the plate and hold it up to the frame, then draw a few outlines. This helps me figure out how far back I need to cut. As always, cut a little at a time till you're there.

Passenger side

On this side you will notice that the Panhard brace is cut. I usually drop a plum bob off the inside of the car, down the side of the PH brace. Then draw a line on each side straight down, and cut along the line. This side's plate will need to be re-made, so it will go all the way down the back side of the PH brace for added strength. Use 1/8th inch plate steel. To make the plate, just take some poster board, make a template of the old plate area (where you would weld the original plate in) and the back of the PH brace. then just draw that onto the 1/8th inch plate, and cut accordingly.

Man, I hope some of this helps you. If you have any other questions, I'll help as much as I can. Call me at the shop, if you need to. 225-673-3533.

Also, Wolfe's website has a ton of install pics. Here is a link.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/instal...odminitub.aspx

They have a few dimensions/measurements you will also need to know.

And one last thing.. measure the tub width at top dead center, at the front and at the rear. You can measure these distances from the tub seam (where the inner and outer stock tubs meet) and make marks in corresponding places, you'll get a better idea of where the tub line is.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for posting that up Steve.. Very helpful info. I wish I had the cash to bring the car down and let you work your magic on it, but being laid off it just ain't gonna happen..

I'll bring a hooker, a bottle of Jager and a case of Miller Lite.. How bout that for payment??
Old 02-24-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dood.. i'd come to you if you bump it up to two hookers!

On a serious note.. lol, i'm glad to help. Like I said before, if you need anything else, just holler.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

YES! Thanks a lot. Those pictures and your explanation help greatly. I think this will be valuable information not only for me, but for anybody else in the future that searches for this too.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice writeup. Thanks for the pic's
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Nice writeup. Thanks for the pic's
Thank you. Hope it helps everyone.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve in that 2nd to last picture it looks like you cut right into the upper spring perch, or am I not seeing that right?

If that is the spring perch how do the stock springs still sit in the car?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Steve in that 2nd to last picture it looks like you cut right into the upper spring perch, or am I not seeing that right?

If that is the spring perch how do the stock springs still sit in the car?
You're right, we do cut the upper spring perch out. Instead of using stock springs, we use 2 1/2" I.D. springs and the Wolfe spring adjuster. This way you have more clearance, and adjustability.

This is the finished product.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

We just did the mini tub in my car. I have the Autofab coilover kit and some Afco's from Madman, everything worked out real nice.

Everyone is letting you run coilovers now so take advantage.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

I see about the spring purches now. I'm tubbing it to fit some 345/25/20's. The wheels will probably be CCW 505A with their fattest lip. The rear will be shortend accordingly. The car will be bagged so i'll have to figure that one out and fitment.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gonna move the shocks inboard the frame rails and mount them off a bar that will span the frame rails where the stock tank is when the minitub gets done anyway, butI wasn't sure if what I was seeing was right or not.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mad_steve
You're right, we do cut the upper spring perch out. Instead of using stock springs, we use 2 1/2" I.D. springs and the Wolfe spring adjuster. This way you have more clearance, and adjustability.

This is the finished product.

This is the stock mounting points for springs and LCAs?

Whats the biggest drag radial & slick will this setup allow?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
This is the stock mounting points for springs and LCAs?

Whats the biggest drag radial & slick will this setup allow?

stock mount points and you can fit a 315/60/15 drag radial...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are TONS of minitub pics on here.

I tack welded mine in, then fiberglassed the inside seams and put seam sealer under the car on the seams/joints.

Go under the car and cut right next to the framerail staight up. The front and rear of the tud is whats tricky.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

what are you guys making these cuts with? a plasma cutter?

Quick Reply: Wolfe mini tubbing questions