Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me diagnose auto tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help me diagnose auto tranny problem

ok to start, ive only ever worked on manuals so this is all forgein to me. my younger brother called me tonight and said he thinks his tranny took a crap. he has a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 with a 6.0. the truck has 91K all stock. well he said he pulled up to a stop sign and then wanted to back up...no reverse. he said it will go forward ( drove it 10 miles home) but it was making a whining noise all the way home. he checked the fluid and it read fine (cold). what are some things to look for when going to check this truck out. if he needs another tranny will any 4L60E work? or would it be better to get a truck trans? assuming it has the 4L60E.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
ok to start, ive only ever worked on manuals so this is all forgein to me. my younger brother called me tonight and said he thinks his tranny took a crap. he has a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 with a 6.0. the truck has 91K all stock. well he said he pulled up to a stop sign and then wanted to back up...no reverse. he said it will go forward ( drove it 10 miles home) but it was making a whining noise all the way home. he checked the fluid and it read fine (cold). what are some things to look for when going to check this truck out. if he needs another tranny will any 4L60E work? or would it be better to get a truck trans? assuming it has the 4L60E.
No reverse is normally a terminal failure. You need a 1998 or later transmission.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a terminal failure?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
a terminal failure?
His **** Is Broke! Time to replace
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

When he drove it home, did it act like it shifted into 2nd gear at around 30mph or so? Did it seem to only have 2 gears, 1rst and a late 2nd? It is possible Reverse Drum, sun shell stripped or broke, No 2nd, 4th , reverse. Or planetary is bad. Both can cause whining and no reverse. Rebuild original.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beedo
His **** Is Broke! Time to replace

HA HA no kidding, so it looks like im in the market for one... whats the going rate for a used/ new/ or getting it rebuilt?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

There a a few here that can give you a quality built transmission. We are on the West coast and will give you what you need. Do so research and decide whom is best for what you need.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

im goin with the reverse band or sun shell its not totally toast though these parts can be replaced but not for cheap as the trans needs to be totally disassembled to do so, and just about any 4l60E will work but they are all a bit diff depending onthe model just make sure you get a four wheel drive trans if its a 4wd as they are shorter than the 2wd trans, also you hafta check the fluid at operating temp always not cold, i cant guarantee anything cuz there are 700 parts inside this trans but i know it can be fixed its not totally junk

Quick Reply: help me diagnose auto tranny problem