LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Does this sound like my clutch is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does this sound like my clutch is bad?

I have a 94 Trans Am with a LT1 and I believe my clutch is bad. Not sure though because I'm no expert by any means. All my mods are in the sig and the Ram HDX clutch in there now is about 3yrs/20k miles old. Anyway here is what the car is doing.

A couple weeks ago the clutch pedal was shaking real bad when I started the car, not vibrating...I mean SHAKING! I turned the car off and restarted it with no problems ever since. She drove perfect since then until yesterday when on my way to work the car just stopped going into gear. I coasted into a parking lot and tried to get into gear, nothing. Turned the vehicle off and it goes in and out of gear fine, clutch pedal feels nice and firm still, full of fluid. Well I start the car and fight with it until I finally get into 2nd gear. I drive to my mechanic in 2nd gear the whole way (less than a mile), I didn't want to get out of 2nd and risk it not going back in and than I'd have to tow it. At stoplights I just held the clutch in.

Well I get to the shop and shut her off. I decide to try it one more time before I go in and what do you know it shifts just fine now! I end up going to work and it shifts perfect on the way there and when I go to lunch. But then on my way back to work from my lunch break it starts acting up again. I can get in and out of gears but it takes alot of weight and force. I probably could have shifted like this before I drove to the shop but I didn't wanna put that much pressure on it. On the way to work I decide to try shifting without the clutch pedal and it pulls in and out of gear fine that way. Keep in mind I never drive this way I just did this one time to see if it would work better. It's when I depress the pedal that its a PIA to get in and out of gear.

No noises, vibrations, pedal nice and firm, fluid full and still a nice color. Oh and I also never noticed the clutch slipping before this. My test was to just cruise around town at 30-35mph and shift into 6th and hammer it. If the RPM's shoot up more than your MPH than it is slipping. LOL Probably not the best way to test for slippage. Anyway let me know because I'm ready to buy the Ram Powergrip HD with their 18lb. aluminum billet flywheel!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You could get under the car and check to see that the slave and pivot fork look ok. Other than that, the only way to know for sure is to drop the tranny and inspect everything thoroughly.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

That sucks. I was hoping to diagnose it and then order the part and fix it al;l when it comes in.

Anyway, found out today that if you get it into 1st and still have the clutch depressed and the brake let go the car will creep forward as if you are letting off the clutch even with it fully depressed.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
That sucks. I was hoping to diagnose it and then order the part and fix it al;l when it comes in.

Anyway, found out today that if you get it into 1st and still have the clutch depressed and the brake let go the car will creep forward as if you are letting off the clutch even with it fully depressed.
Sounds like something is causing your clutch to not fully disengage. Could be a bad master, bad slave, or air in the system.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleed the system 1st., if that doesn't help/cure it, i would suspect the PP.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Sounds like something is causing your clutch to not fully disengage. Could be a bad master, bad slave, or air in the system.
what he said
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Well as of yesterday my car is shifting perfect again. LOL It only makes sense it would fix itself right after I ordered my Ram Powergrip HD and aluminum billet flywheel from them. I'm gonna go ahead and just hold onto the new clutch until the car acts up again but its's been a day of perfect stop and go driving so I have no idea anymore. I'll probably still bleed it on Monday since I'm off from work but who knows anymore.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by porksoda
Well as of yesterday my car is shifting perfect again. LOL It only makes sense it would fix itself right after I ordered my Ram Powergrip HD and aluminum billet flywheel from them. I'm gonna go ahead and just hold onto the new clutch until the car acts up again but its's been a day of perfect stop and go driving so I have no idea anymore. I'll probably still bleed it on Monday since I'm off from work but who knows anymore.
I'm sure the problem will be back to haunt you sooner then you think, yeah i would still bleed the system, then have the new clutch kit on hand when it re-apears which i'm sure it will, unless its just air in the system, but even if you have to change out the clutch, its not hard, the hardest part is babying it the 1st. 4-500 miles to break it in .
Old 03-01-2009, 03:36 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like a slave honestly..
Old 03-01-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

id replace the slave first, it s usually the cheapest/mmost common fix for most shift issues
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Just the slave you think or should I just replace both the master and slave before I try to go for the clutch? Regardless I'm gonna keep the HD around until it's time to replace.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

after you replace the slave put it in first and hold the clutch in and hold the rev at like 4-5k rpm to see if it creeps forward. if it does then u mite have more probs.

also, the way ive always used to test slipping is to put your car in top gear from a dead stop and try to take off in top gear. if it doesnt stall immedietly then ur clutch is slipping... hope u find the problem.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Teching In

I vote replace the slave before you replace the clutch so you can fix the cheapest thing first. If that fixes it send that clutch back.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like my clutch is bad?