Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 PCM is Shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 PCM is Shot

I bought this car with the engine and trans in it. The engine was built by Turnkey Engines in Oceanside. The engine has a cam and 10:1 pistons in it with no MAP sensor or O2 sensors. The PCM is shot and won't link up to their laptop. I can get another PCM from them for $600 with a propietary tune which can only be accessed by them. For another $150/hr they will dynotune it. This car is a cruiser and I have no intention of racing it. I wondered what you guys thought about their pricing and if there were other options I might use. I looked at the Mallory but they were pretty spendy. I'm new to LS1's and PCM's and have very limited knowledge about them. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First, I think they are way overpriced and I would never let anyone lock my PCM.
What model year are you talking here?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by highgear
First, I think they are way overpriced and I would never let anyone lock my PCM.
What model year are you talking here?
It's one of their crate engines and it was in the car when I bought it. I bought some parts for it and they told me to get them for a 2004. The locked PCM kind of bothers me too. I would have to drive down to Oceanside about 120 miles to get it tuned. There is a picture of the engine in my garage. Do you have some suggestions for me??

I was going to get a pic but from their site must be down. Here's a little blurb I found: .......Each engine features our patented 5 Wire Plug and Play Harness that includes a state-of-the-art Delphi ECM with a Turn Key precision-engineered calibration.

Last edited by 60 Nomad; 02-27-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd think that a good shop would help you.......... I don't think this shop is helping you.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
You'd think that a good shop would help you.......... I don't think this shop is helping you.
Would you mind elaborating? My problem is I know nothing about this type of electronics and I'm looking for solutions.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM
9 Second Club

It mostly depends on the harness that they used - from that, you can determine which pcm you can use. I would just buy a new pcm for it and get it tuned by a local shop that works with LS-based GM's. For the pcm, check with Wait4me performance - he is on here under that screen name.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned

A typical pcm costs $80 to $120 used, new isn't much higher. Why does theirs cost $600
Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

new is $300 and up to a $200 core in some cases.

But I would certainly give wait4me a call and see if he can help, does the vehicle run at all? It could be as simple as a blown fuse on the OBD2 port

Ryan
Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

" with no MAP sensor or O2 sensors." Probably explains the need to use a "hi buck" PCM???
Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is a Delphi MEFI 4b controller DO NOT USE IT thats my opinion its a batchfire injection system. Its a marine pcm and alot of guys use them in sand rails in fact the sand rail guys are pulling them out and running a car pcm. To much trouble for the price http://www.mefiburn.com/ above you can buy the software for $600 clear the pcm if it was locked and they will give you a LS1 def file tune being a owner of the software

If this as you described above i ran across this abt a month ago on a sandrail. These Dephi PCMs also have no provisions or tables to run a electronic transmissions such as a 4l60 or 80 if you ever wanted to go to overdrive from the research i had did on these. Thats why they are in boats and sandrails

Last edited by roughneck427; 02-27-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Hopefully the car is not wired w/ that pcm in mind!!
Sounds to me as tho the shop is selling the GMPP "kit"??? If so, there may be a new harness involved.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Hopefully the car is not wired w/ that pcm in mind!!
Sounds to me as tho the shop is selling the GMPP "kit"??? If so, there may be a new harness involved.
From the OP seems as he already has this and fried the PCM kinda stinks i saw a MEFI on ebay brand new for $150 a few weeks ago they pop up every once in awhile when guys are getting rid of them to go to car PCMs
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
It mostly depends on the harness that they used - from that, you can determine which pcm you can use. I would just buy a new pcm for it and get it tuned by a local shop that works with LS-based GM's. For the pcm, check with Wait4me performance - he is on here under that screen name.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by slow
new is $300 and up to a $200 core in some cases.

But I would certainly give wait4me a call and see if he can help, does the vehicle run at all? It could be as simple as a blown fuse on the OBD2 port

Ryan
It runs but not very well. It won't link up to their computer to be tuned!

Originally Posted by roughneck427
Yes that is a Delphi MEFI 4b controller DO NOT USE IT thats my opinion its a batchfire injection system. Its a marine pcm and alot of guys use them in sand rails in fact the sand rail guys are pulling them out and running a car pcm. To much trouble for the price http://www.mefiburn.com/ above you can buy the software for $600 clear the pcm if it was locked and they will give you a LS1 def file tune being a owner of the software

If this as you described above i ran across this abt a month ago on a sandrail. These Dephi PCMs also have no provisions or tables to run a electronic transmissions such as a 4l60 or 80 if you ever wanted to go to overdrive from the research i had did on these. Thats why they are in boats and sandrails
I should have said it was a Delphi MEFI-4 I've known for a while that I was going to have to replace it. I did some research and pricing about 6 months ago. Mallory has MEFI-4's and with the software to tune with it was around $1400. The $600 they want for a new one comes with their tune and is locked.

From the OP seems as he already has this and fried the PCM kinda stinks i saw a MEFI on ebay brand new for $150 a few weeks ago they pop up every once in awhile when guys are getting rid of them to go to car PCMs
I never thought of looking for one on EBay.....

Thanks for the responses. I'll make some enquiries today with the links I was given.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Teching In

http://www.mefiburn.com/ Thanks roughneck that was a good lead. I gave them a call and got some good info. He is around $400 for a MEFI-4 with a tuneable tune! They also sell the tuning software for $600 that would allow me to tune any PCM not just one. He's looking around for a PCM and is going to call me back. They might even be able to fix mine. Next I'm going to check out ebay.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 60 Nomad
I should have said it was a Delphi MEFI-4 .
Why. just say--need new pcm. we'll figure it out.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Why. just say--need new pcm. we'll figure it out.
Was that a shot at me? Hey I'm a dumbass I admitted it. I just need some help with my problem.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No prob heres one 175 bucks 3 days left http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by roughneck427; 02-27-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 60 Nomad
Was that a shot at me? Hey I'm a dumbass I admitted it. I just need some help with my problem.
Just kidding. Although some people do ask like that.
Looks like you're getting somewhere, good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

If I was me, which I am =) . I would get a new PCM for your vehicle - Which year and type is going to depend on how you want to keep it running. If It is a drive by wire or drive by cable car. Then either get a harness and make it work, or do it the easy way and talk to a place like Painless ( hope they are a sponsor or someone like them ) and tell them what year PCM, and what sensors you are going to be needing wired up as well as the lengths to each from the PCM.

With a motor that runs on these Crate PCMs, I would assume that you might have to change or add the sensors additionally, but I have seen very few of these Dephli mep4 or whatever they are called- and I havent seen many of them stay running well.

What I am suggesting is going to cost you about the same as what Turnkey wants - I know of them and they have always been way overpriced- and they sell over price, undersold items to people who wouldnt know any different. Convert the car to run like a GM factory car and in the long run the car will run better, be easier to tune and modify- and be easier and cheaper to find someone to do it.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

No prob heres one 175 bucks 3 days left http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...spagenameZWDVW
Thanks again roughneck! You are the man!!

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
If I was me, which I am =) . I would get a new PCM for your vehicle - Which year and type is going to depend on how you want to keep it running. If It is a drive by wire or drive by cable car. Then either get a harness and make it work, or do it the easy way and talk to a place like Painless ( hope they are a sponsor or someone like them ) and tell them what year PCM, and what sensors you are going to be needing wired up as well as the lengths to each from the PCM.

With a motor that runs on these Crate PCMs, I would assume that you might have to change or add the sensors additionally, but I have seen very few of these Dephli mep4 or whatever they are called- and I havent seen many of them stay running well.

What I am suggesting is going to cost you about the same as what Turnkey wants - I know of them and they have always been way overpriced- and they sell over price, undersold items to people who wouldnt know any different. Convert the car to run like a GM factory car and in the long run the car will run better, be easier to tune and modify- and be easier and cheaper to find someone to do it.
Funny you mentioned that! After spending the morning following up on some of the leads that Roughneck and some other people gave me. You know how it is you get on the phone and they give you names and #'s to call. I finally ended up in my own backyard with Jason at Timeless Kustoms in Camarillo, Ca. I saw a 59 2 door Nomad he built at Del Mar a Good Guys event last year that was unbelievable bithcen! It had a LS3 in it. I gave him a call this afternoon and he tells me that he has been putting in what he called a "GM Stand Alone" PCM. It comes with the map sensor, 2 O2 sensors and a harness for $950. He explained it all to me and why he doesn't like the Delphi's and why they were being used. He said that with this set up I could expect to get the milage these engines are famous for and about 45 more HP out of it than the Delphi. According to him he could put a tune on it that would be 90% correct and that this PCM would tune itself the rest of the way. I got off the phone with him and went to his shop. Very Nice Guy with some cool looking projects in there. Since this is just a "cruiser" for me I am really leaning in this direction. Have you guys heard of this set up?

Oh again thanks for everyone's input!

Quick Reply: LS1 PCM is Shot