Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light problem

I have an annoying problem with my 2001 Camaro SS. On the ICP in the upper right hand corner there is a security indicator. Mine will not shut off!! It is always on, key on engine off or key on engine on. It doesn’t matter. The factory alarm works fine. There is no other aftermarket security device on the vehicle. I plugged in a Tech II and it said that the system is good, no faults. If you can help me and what you say works, YOU ARE A BAD-***!!! Thank you for your time.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

As stupid as this sounds, have you tried cleaning your key? The resistance of the pellet in the key can be thrown off over time due to usage and gunk build-up. Oh, and don't forget to double check the shock-sensor in the rear of the car, if it's damaged it might be sending a warning signal to the BCM
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The security light in the instrument panel has absolutely nothing to do with any alarm system (factory or aftermarket). It is part of the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) which checks that the correct ignition key is used to start the car. 95TAJade is correct - often cleaning the resistor pellet on the key or using your spare key will solve the problem. However, the shock sensor has nothing to do with it. You can also try cleaning the contacts inside the ignition cylinder using some spray contact cleaner or switch cleaner from Radio Shack. If you don't get this taken care of, eventually you will be unable to start your car.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

my security light came on November 07. i tried everything to get rid of it than i finally gave up.. my car has never hesitated to turn on and its always ran fine... maybe im just lucky

Last edited by Snowman2K1; 03-03-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks WhiteBird00, I'm curious; how would the shock sensor for the factory alarm not be indirectly related to the security light being on in the dash. I thought that this light was sort of a "catch-all" indicator for all of the security components? Whether they fail or get tripped.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

We have two security systems in late model f-bodies. The Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) is intended to keep the car from being stolen. That system is connected to the security light in the instrument cluster and determines whether to allow the car to start based on whether it detects the correct ignition key by measuring the resistance of the pellet in the key. There are only 15 different resistor values (actually, only 14 of them were ever used in f-bodies) but the idea is that it would be very unlikely to find another key with both the correct resistor and the correct cuts to work in the ignition.

The other system is what GM calls the Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) system - this is what we commonly call an alarm system. It is completely contained within the Body Control Module (BCM) except for the external shock sensor mounted in the right quarter. It is designed to sound the horn and flash the lights if a door is opened or there is an impact to the vehicle body. The indicator it uses is a red LED on top of the dash to the right of the defroster vent.

I agree that it would make more sense to use the security light to indicate status of both systems (although the red LED is also intended as a warning that the car has an alarm) but GM doesn't always do the logical thing. (Not doing the logical thing may be one reason they lost an average of $3.1 million every hour in the last quarter of 2008. )
Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I agree that it would make more sense to use the security light to indicate status of both systems (although the red LED is also intended as a warning that the car has an alarm) but GM doesn't always do the logical thing. (Not doing the logical thing may be one reason they lost an average of $3.1 million every hour in the last quarter of 2008. )
Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Gotcha, Thanks!