Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB question

Hey guys.

Had my throttle body ported by a forum sponser here. I installed it today.

The problem it, the car now idles a little higher than usual. I dont think the butterfly is closing all the way. It also takes a little longer to get to idling RPM's after you press the gas. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks alot.

-Lucas
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

does it have the bumpstop mod done? my ported idled funny for a couple trips when i first put it on there. i did the bumpstop mod later and it started idling funny again...kinda like what you describe.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

The TB has too much air getting past the blade. You can try adjusting the idle screw on the side, but I bet it won't help. The TB has been ported too much around the blade. A good way to test this is to put a piece of tape over the hole on the blade. I bet you a 6 pack it will fix it. You need to weld or epoxy that hole up or get a C5 blade that doesn't have a hole in it.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

if you hold the tb up to light can you see around the blade?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may be over-ported and air is getting around the edges of the blade. also knife-edging the blade, i wouldnt recommend because of this
Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Well is this a problem? Is there any performance lost or is it just the funny idle?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Anybody? Come on guys, I need some help.

I don't mind the higher idling RPM's if there is nothing for me to worry about..
Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redlineracing
Anybody? Come on guys, I need some help.

I don't mind the higher idling RPM's if there is nothing for me to worry about..

Come one? You got the advice you needed to fix it. Did you try putting tape over the hole? Try it and report back.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

When I installed my ported T/B from revxtreme, it idled higher than normal. Reason being was that they gave me a t/b off of a 98 Camaro. The difference was in the cam on the side of the throttle body was a little bit smaller than on a 2001 camaro throttle body.
If you have both throttle bodies, you might want to check and make sure the cams are the same size on both throttle bodies.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sgt Drags
When I installed my ported T/B from revxtreme, it idled higher than normal. Reason being was that they gave me a t/b off of a 98 Camaro. The difference was in the cam on the side of the throttle body was a little bit smaller than on a 2001 camaro throttle body.
If you have both throttle bodies, you might want to check and make sure the cams are the same size on both throttle bodies.
That shouldn't affect the idle. The 00+ throttle cables are longer and with the shorter length of the 98-99's, the cable would have been longer than needed. So there should have been slack in the cable.

Now if you have a 98 and tried to install a 00+ throttle body, the cable would be too short and wouldn't allow the blade to close completely, creating a serious problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys. thanks for all the responses.

I was thinking about it today and I had a feeling it was the IAC. I went out and checked it, and the o-ring didnt seat properly. I reseated it and no more problem!