LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

y-pipe rattle?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y-pipe rattle?????

ok guys i just got my headers finished up. and the y-pipe is a very close fit to the floor of the car. so when i give it very little gas or otherwise the motor torques up it rattles against the floor on the driver's side. its only sometimes at idle or under extremely light throttle. does anyone else have this problem. i want to say i can live with it, but i hate nosises that are not supposed to be there. Is there an easy way to fix this with out major work.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you run the pacesetter ORY that is notched for the floor support?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Launching!

yes i have the pacesetter ORY that has the notch cut into it. and it is where its supposed to be. but its like my headers are tucked up more then they are supposed to be, but idk. everything else is fine. so idk really what is wrong. but i did get rid of my air pump and all the egr and emissions stuff, i know that doesnt make any difference. but yeh its like a kinda loud banging and rattle i guess u would call it. and its only hitting on the driver's side.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

not sure if that is "normal" but it happens to a lot of people with the pacesetters, myself included. there are some good write-ups on this site about how to take care of it.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine did it when I put in a poly tranny mount, do you have an aftermarket mount on your tranny??
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

no i dont have an aftermarket tranny mount. and is there anyway TABBED 5.3 could you post some of the write ups or what you did to fix it. i was thinking about trying to get some kind of wrap and wrap it around it and maybe that will make it so its not metal to metal and therefore make it so i cant hear it. but idk im not sure. please any help any one can give me would be great. i am driving my car tuesday to get all my codes cleared and get all the emissions stuff tuned out of the computer. and then staurday im going to claymont delaware for the lsx meet and im taking my car down. so i dont really want to hear this rattle when im sitting at a light or something driving all the way there. thanks for any info.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Launching!

ok guys i hate when people bump posts, But im going to do it cause i need help. PLEASE !!! i cant deal with the rattle. please help and thanks in advance. BUMP
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Could possibly be your motor mounts are worn. I have shorty's with a slp y pipe, and my y pipe started hitting when I was letting out the clutch. I got some poly mounts, removed the drivers side and the mount was not broke, but the old rubber mount was half the size of the new poly mount. Since changing my noise has gone away. I had 204k on them so they were overdue. HTH

later

andy schuck
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing. I have hooker super comp headers but mine was one of the primaries hitting up against the frame. It was one of the upper primaries and not the ones that are close to the ground. I had to remove my headers and hit on the frame to make clearence for the header so it would quit making noises. Not sure if that helps or not.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

and also it is only doing it at a light idle because it is only vibrating. once it has a little bit of throttle on it it pushes up against the frame and it no longer moves. hince the noise being gonee.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Launching!

my y pipe lays down across the crossmember for the "tunnel".....only bc i didnt install the y pipe to the bracket on the passenger side bc i accidently through somethin away and havent had the motivation to make my own bracket
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this same problem. I used some header wrap and simply wrapped the y pipe. You need two people. one to wrap the y pipe and another to pry the y pipe down about a 1/2 inch so you can slip the wraping around the whole pipe. two hose clamps to hold down the ends
Old 03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1 beast
I had this same problem. I used some header wrap and simply wrapped the y pipe. You need two people. one to wrap the y pipe and another to pry the y pipe down about a 1/2 inch so you can slip the wraping around the whole pipe. two hose clamps to hold down the ends
yup, thats a good easy fix. Another thing you could do is after you have the heat wrap around that part of the ORY you could put a piece of rubber between the floor and the pipe and clamp it so it doesnt move. i used just a piece of automotive rubber hose.

OR

take off the y-pipe again and hit the top of the pipe more for more clearance
Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

I had this problem and could never fix it try as I might. I eventually did rectify the issue quite by accident.. I replaced my motor mounts and i never heard the rattle again
Old 03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Motor and Trans mounts do help quite a bit. The brace that around the transmission seemed to be a bit of a pain. I simply left it off and never seemed to have problems.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the input guys. i used header wrap around the pipe and it somewhat went away. i just need to put a little more there and it will be completely gone. thanks for all the help.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

My car did the same thing, I took it to a local exhaust shop and they bent my y-pipe down about a 1/4 inch and it went away

Quick Reply: y-pipe rattle?????