Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hood alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hood alignment

I was recently involved in a small fender bender in a parking lot. A toyota matrix ran into me at the front driver side headlight area going about 5-10MPH.Damaged the fender, bumper cover, and hood. I got a new stock hood from a local guy parting out his car, and i bought 2 new hinges from the dealer, but i can't seem to get the hood to fit right. On the passenger side, theres a widening gap which is about 1 to 1.5in. at the front. on the driver side, the hood sort of overlaps the fender. I've loosened all the bolts and i've been trying to straighten it... can't seem to do it though. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
I was recently involved in a small fender bender in a parking lot. A toyota matrix ran into me at the front driver side headlight area going about 5-10MPH.Damaged the fender, bumper cover, and hood. I got a new stock hood from a local guy parting out his car, and i bought 2 new hinges from the dealer, but i can't seem to get the hood to fit right. On the passenger side, theres a widening gap which is about 1 to 1.5in. at the front. on the driver side, the hood sort of overlaps the fender. I've loosened all the bolts and i've been trying to straighten it... can't seem to do it though. Any suggestions?
First of all I highly doubt the hinges were bad unless the hood was folded up to winshield. Second the core support my be bent and that may be pulling **** out of alignment. Did you have issues with allignment before you went and replaced the hood and hinges? How's te gap on the pass. side? Pics would help to, some right after the accident and some of the core support may help too.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got pics??
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

yep, got some pics today.

the driver side fender isn't on, but you can see how the hood doesn't follow the lining of the metal
also, it seems like the pass. side hinge is a bit closer to the body of the car than the driver side.. is that normal?

oh and here's a picture after the crash

let me know what you guys think, i'm going to try to mess around with it on sat. or sun. thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

I'm thinking your core support is out of wack. You may need to take it to a body shop and have them do some measurements.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

core support... as in radiator core support?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Launching!

^^Yeah
Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, there is a small ripple on the DS. Don't see anything else, but obviously there is right? lol. The DS hinge seems to sit a good bit higher than the passenger side, is this normal? Also, is the core support thing affecting the body line or how the hood closes? The hood doesn't line up straight with the latch... if i use some force i can get it to close properly though.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Yeah, there is a small ripple on the DS. Don't see anything else, but obviously there is right? lol. The DS hinge seems to sit a good bit higher than the passenger side, is this normal? Also, is the core support thing affecting the body line or how the hood closes? The hood doesn't line up straight with the latch... if i use some force i can get it to close properly though.
It will effect everything. And your DS upper rail (the part your fender bolts to down the length of the hood) may be shoved back and intern making the rear of it high. If you to give your self and idea of how the damage occurs, take a simple piece of paper and lay it flat on a table. Now hold the back side firm and push the front twards the back and you'll get and idea of what kinds of crap the may have happend.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I see. Well i took it to a couple shops today.. was quoted around ~500 to straighten everything out. Then another 800-1000 to paint and blend. This pretty reasonable?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I see. Well i took it to a couple shops today.. was quoted around ~500 to straighten everything out. Then another 800-1000 to paint and blend. This pretty reasonable?
yeah that's not a bad price. It mainly depends on what there labor rates are but it's not a bad price. Plus that is a prolly a rough est. on the frame work. It prolly will take them longer to set it up on the frame rack and do some measurements than it will to actually straighten it. So you may come off a little cheeper on the frame work.

Quick Reply: Hood alignment