LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Camaro Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Default 96 Camaro Header Question

What do i need to run Long Tubes headers on my 96 camaro and still pass emissions ? I know it has 2 stupid converters. The one on the drivers side is very close to the manifold so does it need to be replaced with a after market one or what ? Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmike9396
What do i need to run Long Tubes headers on my 96 camaro and still pass emissions ? I know it has 2 stupid converters. The one on the drivers side is very close to the manifold so does it need to be replaced with a after market one or what ? Thanks guys
It depends on how **** your state is. Long tube headers will relocate the cats and, in some states, can be considered emissions-illegal. You can order long tubes with all emissions hookups, but you'll need to find a catted y-pipe.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

ohh i ve never seen a catted y pipe before. Where can i purchase one at ?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would be easier to just get the long tubes and purchase some small body cats like the magnaflows and have a good ex shop build the rest
Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

how would i wire it all up tho just get longer connections to the cats
Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
it would be easier to just get the long tubes and purchase some small body cats like the magnaflows and have a good ex shop build the rest
+1. Thundercat cats are nice too.

how would i wire it all up tho just get longer connections to the cats
You mean how would you wire up the o2's? You will need o2 entensions. I got a pair of 24" extensions from JEGS. I didn't use the rear o2's, but you can get extensions for them too (if needed).
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It depends on how **** your state is. Long tube headers will relocate the cats and, in some states, can be considered emissions-illegal. You can order long tubes with all emissions hookups, but you'll need to find a catted y-pipe.
As far as I know any state that has full CA type emissions testing will fail your LT headers regardless of the cat hookup you have installed unless you have a CARB# underhood or stamped on the parts. I'm not aware of good LT1 LT that have the other emissions hookups in the front for AIR/EGR so you would fail for that also. You have a 96 which has OBD2, if ur state did a simply connect to the diagnostic port check for codes deal like some do for the emissions check you could write all this stuff out of the PCM code and perhaps find a place that wouldn't care to look underhood do the testing. I struggled with these issues for years, bought and installed very $$ CARB legal mid length headers, and now after waiting years later for my car to fall under the "classic car" title section of the Vehicle code I'm doing LT non emissions anything b/c it won't need to be tested as such anymore.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Well here in N.C. as long as no lights are on i will be able to pass emissions. So as long as i have every thing hooked up correctly with no codes thrown i will be ok because the guys that do the test never look under the hood.

Originally Posted by multmigs
As far as I know any state that has full CA type emissions testing will fail your LT headers regardless of the cat hookup you have installed unless you have a CARB# underhood or stamped on the parts. I'm not aware of good LT1 LT that have the other emissions hookups in the front for AIR/EGR so you would fail for that also. You have a 96 which has OBD2, if ur state did a simply connect to the diagnostic port check for codes deal like some do for the emissions check you could write all this stuff out of the PCM code and perhaps find a place that wouldn't care to look underhood do the testing. I struggled with these issues for years, bought and installed very $$ CARB legal mid length headers, and now after waiting years later for my car to fall under the "classic car" title section of the Vehicle code I'm doing LT non emissions anything b/c it won't need to be tested as such anymore.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

So where can i get all the stuff to get my car to pass emissions such as o2 extensions and different cats so i dont throw any codes
Old 03-15-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So where can i get all the stuff to get my car to pass emissions such as o2 extensions and different cats so i dont throw any codes
so do they just hook up to the cars computer and check the PCM's "ready" codes? or do they visually check? if they dont visually check just get the converter codes tuned out with a mailorder tune. just run two o2 extensions for the front sensors that screw into the headers and your good to go. and just run a off road y-pipe(ORY) and dont worry about the converters

now if they do check underneath and stuff then your screwed.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-96...1%7C240%3A1318

how bout here?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

So if i had a mail order tune could i cut the converters off and just have the o2s ? They havent never looked under any of my vehicles

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
so do they just hook up to the cars computer and check the PCM's "ready" codes? or do they visually check? if they dont visually check just get the converter codes tuned out with a mailorder tune. just run two o2 extensions for the front sensors that screw into the headers and your good to go. and just run a off road y-pipe(ORY) and dont worry about the converters

now if they do check underneath and stuff then your screwed.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks man looks like what i need i guess, Im going to call Carolina Auto Masters in Raleigh tomorrow and c what they have to say Or f body motor sports in Charlotte. Maybe they can tell me what i need to do

Originally Posted by multmigs

Quick Reply: 96 Camaro Header Question