Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Issue

I recently installed a converter in my car...and took the car to have it tuned...after talking with the tuner and bringing the car home...i noticed there is a little bit of a vibration/grinding noise when it shifts to overdrive or is in overdrive and under a load...any ideas? It maybe time to tear into it...just curious...it seems to shift fine still and no abnormal slipping...

Josh
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by xxpredatorxx
I recently installed a converter in my car...and took the car to have it tuned...after talking with the tuner and bringing the car home...i noticed there is a little bit of a vibration/grinding noise when it shifts to overdrive or is in overdrive and under a load...any ideas? It maybe time to tear into it...just curious...it seems to shift fine still and no abnormal slipping...

Josh
Mine did that too, i was told it was normal, but now my tranny is slipping going into overdrive
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you sure its overdrive and not lockup your feeling, The lockup clutch could be chattering/slipping , What size diameter is the converter?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah mine would chatter when the converter would lock in, now when its in overdrive, the converter wont lock in and will just slip, not sure if hes is doing the same thing
Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Default chatter/slippage

Yes...mine does the EXACT same thing....and the tuner said it didn't fully lock up until almost 5000 rpm...which is insane...does that mean my brand new converter is bad?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The converter could be burned or if a small diameter and the PWM is not disabled either in tuning or mechanically it to can result in the chatter.
The 5000 rpm mentioned i am sure is the efficency and not lockup since lockup only happens at part throttle.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Default Pwm?

what is the pwm...and how do you disable it?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Default converter

I believe you are right the converter clutch is bad...will this damage my transmission if drove with it like that?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes eventually

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Banned

...i noticed there is a little bit of a vibration/grinding noise when it shifts to overdrive or is in overdrive and under a load.
I'll go another direction with this.
I'm assuming the converter locks up around 40 mph?
Thats too early.

Ever drive something like a 4cylinder truck and go slow in 4th or 5th, kind of the same noise?

My car does it with 3.23's locking up at 45 and unlocking at 42.
That noise you hear is (or could be) all the slack in the driveline bouncing around. Thats everything inside the trans, the slip yoke, the ring and pinion backlash, the axle play in the differential side gears, etc. It's all "feeling" the engine firing because locked up is a solid connection.

The cure is to raise the lock up apply and release MPH.

Thats my guess, since I just got done pulling my hair out tuning my own, I know the noise.

But it's still all speculation considering there is ZERO INFORMATION ON THE VEHICLE, CONVERTER SPECS, NOTHING.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Default specs

Its a TCI 3600 stall....the car is a 99 transam 224/228 cam with bolt ons....the car was just dynoed...and put down 380rwhp@6300....the tranny was gone through about 30000 miles...i have only put 5000 miles of them on it...so i don't know if they were rough...and i don't know if the shop that went through it is reputable or not...the did the rear end and gears at the same time...i have the receipt from the guy i bought the car from...as for the noise...thats a possibility...but would that make it not fully lock until 5000? He said he noticed it on the dyno...i looked at the dyno graph and the numbers and i don't notice a huge spike or jump at that rpm...so not sure how he could tell...anything else you want to know let me know...i did what performabuilt told me to do...i drove it up to 45mph or so and let it shift into overdrive...then i gave it a lil gas to make the noise and i lightly pushed on the break and the noise went away...because it kicked the rpm up...i just don't want to mess up the transmission...and Frank said it would tear up the transmission eventually...how long that is i don't know...let me know..thnx
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Default anyone?

anyone?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

i did what performabuilt told me to do...i drove it up to 45mph or so and let it shift into overdrive...then i gave it a lil gas to make the noise and i lightly pushed on the break and the noise went away...because it kicked the rpm up...
Not the rpm, what pushing the brake did was unlock the converter. So if you did that, the converter unlocked, the noise went away. It might be the converter.
I ran one of those converters, the TCC is weak, very weak.
I take back what I said in the other post, I think Frank is right (again)
Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

yes mine is a TCI 3200. Ive heard bad things about these converters
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Default tranny issue

well now i notice that it does this in 3rd gear also...so can this still be the same issue? and it doesn't matter how fast i'm going in overdrive if i give it a lil gas it makes the noise...same thing in 3rd gear...it sounds like its coming from behind me...but it feels like it might be at my feet...i also noticed a slight vibration from the car when i rev in neutral...so i don't know WTF!!?? it didn't do this before the tune...so i'm starting to get pissed...let me know what you guys think...he did change it to SD...thnx
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Without looking at the tune anyone can only guess. Thats going get you, everyone who replies and your tuner nowhere.

Guess he left the tcc apply stock since it's programmed to lock in 3rd.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

im having a similar issue So I got a yank 3600 converter and 373 gears intalled..car was running good so one night I got on the converter to 2500 rpm and went up like 60 foot as I was comming to a stop I felt a clunk and tempetures got pretty high check engine light came on..so I was at a dead stop and as I pressed the gas to go rpms went pretty high and car barely moved so finally car moved and as it goes I felt clunks and rpms just free reving..took car back in and got a new transmission built level 4 or 5 can't remember..got the car back running great put 300 miles on new tranny did a couple test passes and ran great tempatures on tranny stayed cool.. As I did the test passes and just now I was getting the car ready to go to the track and I was making sure everything is fine I got on the converter to 2500 rpm went up a couple feet and it started doing the same thing..tranny temps got high and I press gas to go rpms go up to 4k and car barely moves then finnally gets going and I fel same clunks and rpms free reving..what can it be ..we thought it was the trans so got abuilt one..can it be the converter? Thanks alot