Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

before a bearing failure are there any signs

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default before a bearing failure are there any signs

I reading here that crank bearing failure is common on the LS1 if it happens then the engine seizes ruining the block right?

before a bearing failure are there any signs like will the engine make noises like giving you clues that a bearing is loose and is about to fail?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only little clue was my oil pressure being sub par after my head/cam swap with new ported ls6 pump. It will make a noise you will never forget. kinda of like a belt squeal with a knock. I was at a stop sign when mine spun. coasted home with the motor off as much as possible. only ran the motor maybe 1 min after it spun. killed 2 bearings and the 2 rods. one journal was chewed up .100 lower on one side to the other. On a happier note my motor got rebuilt and is being installed right now.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default It will make a noise you will never forget

It will make a noise you will never forget that was just before the failure right?

sorry to hear that.

Mine has been making a funny noise when cruising at a low speed when the trans. A4 shifts up to a higher gear and the RPMs go way down press the gas litely I hear a noise.

I think I ruieded my AC sys. see when I installed my cam in the driveway I released all the freeon from the AC sys. did'nt know to seal the lines w/ tape
cam install took 4 days because it rained 2 days was informed that moisture got into the AC sys. and will ruien the dryer and compressor.it's been a few years and it still makes this funny noise.

also did you center you're oil pump w/ feeler guage during you're cam swap?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 03-23-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I reading here that crank bearing failure is common on the LS1
Your speaking of rod bearings correct?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default bearings

not absolutely sure either crank bearing or rod bearing.

Mine has been making a funny noise when cruising at a low speed when the trans. A4 shifts up to a higher gear and the RPMs go way down press the gas litely I hear a noise.

I think I ruieded my AC sys. see when I installed my cam in the driveway I released all the freeon from the AC sys. did'nt know to seal the lines w/ tape
cam install took 4 days because it rained 2 days was informed that moisture got into the AC sys. and will ruien the dryer and compressor.it's been a few years and it still makes this funny noise.

thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

I've never had it happen on an LS motor but did on a standard block motor. There was no warning for me, just all of the sudden the oil pressure dropped and the truck started running like crap. That was on a 6 month old proffesional rebuild that the only thing they think it was caused by was an severely out of balance converter and a bad tranny rebuild.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badmfkr
Mine has been making a funny noise when cruising at a low speed
I'm having a weird noise that sounds more internal engine related than accessory/pulley related. It will happen at low speeds and when I come to stop light. Sounds like a pulley type noise that goes away as I pull away from the light. I don't think it is a slave/throw out bearing noise that is traveling, nor do I think it is an accessory/pulley problem.

Things I have done to diagnose the issue:
*Pulled A/C belt to eliminate that system- noise still occured
*Put trans (T56) into neutral, clutch pedal in, clutch pedal out, in gear- noise still occured
*Replaced serpentine tensioner pulley

Areas I feel the noise could be coming from:
*Internal bearing of some sort
*Power steering pump
*Water pump

Thoughts?!?!?!?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Launching!

I've never spun a bearing on a gen3 or gen4 motor but did in my 86 vette. My oil pressure was extremely low once it got hot (that cars fans cut on at like 230-235!!) and the oil pressure warning light would come on if I was just sitting there idling. It ran between 7-10 psi fully warmed up in the summer with 5w-30. Was like this a couple of months and one day on the way home it just shut off and when i restarted it was knocking. number 6 rod bearing and the crank journal on that side was completely toast.

my knock was not a squeeling like some people describe, it litterally sounded like a mechanical knock. like someone taping on the block with a piece of metal
Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

I went out yesterday and pulled the serpentine belt and spun all of the accessories by hand. I could not replicate the noise. So this should eliminate the power steering pump and water pump. I know it is not A/C related because I pull that belt and drove the car around and the noise was still there.

Any thoughts? I'm just going to keep driving the thing until something breaks or I get some feedback for diagnosing the problem.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Alright lets see if this works. I got a video of the sound.

This video I heard the noise, let it sit in car for a sec, then put the camera under the car. It sounds like a faint vortech suprcharger type sound haha

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...rent=InCar.flv

And this video I actually captured it outside the car and in the engine bay. Sorry it was dark out but at least I got it. You might have to turn your speakers up a little.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ngineNoise.flv

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

whitelightnin-I may be crazy or my speakers arent very good but i dont hear any thing that sounds like a spun bearing when i watched either videos. I spun a rod bearing in last ls1 and it made a knocking tapping noise. Yours sounds like a light metal scratching if anything. Are you sure you have a spun bearing and not a strecthed timing chain rubbing the cover or a rocker arm/valve spring broken? I am just reaching on the diagnoses it could be anything
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ever solve this noise? I have the same problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I realize this isn't a LS, but a few yrs ago, My freshly rebuilt 396 made noise after I got it back form servicing it. Before service, I never noticed it as the lifters needed adjusting. It turned out to my muncie needed rebuilding.

My point is.. it maybe something you don't expect. FWIW
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Mine was diagnosed as air in the lifters from the oring leaking air. BUT since the OP has the EAXCT same trouble I wondered if he ever fixed it or if it stayed the same without and damage. I'm not looking forward to paying the shop 600 bucks to replace the oring.

I added a little STP oil treatment to my oil and it stopped the noise almost completely. It is without a doubt lifter noise.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Ever solve this noise? I have the same problem.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...eo-inside.html

This was my problem. Read through the whole thread. There are links and pictures within.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't mean you...I meant the OP. But thanks. You have a completely different problem. My noise is just like the OPs EXACTLY.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I know this is an old thread, but...
No engine will run for very long with low oil pressure/bearing clearance issues. There's no such thing as a "little bit of bearing clearance problem" - when the crank actually touches the bearing, it starts the microwelding process which doesn't take long to finish itself. They don't make a "little" noise for a long time while you're still driving it. More of a tic-tic-tic-knock-knock-knock.....silence.....except for the 4-letter words that fill the air.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
I know this is an old thread, but...
No engine will run for very long with low oil pressure/bearing clearance issues. There's no such thing as a "little bit of bearing clearance problem" - when the crank actually touches the bearing, it starts the microwelding process which doesn't take long to finish itself. They don't make a "little" noise for a long time while you're still driving it. More of a tic-tic-tic-knock-knock-knock.....silence.....except for the 4-letter words that fill the air.
You didn't read the entire thread.....the op or I do not have low oil pressure
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Do an oil change and send a sample out to Blackstone for a $25 analysis. I do it every change on some of my cars.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...eo-inside.html

This was my problem. Read through the whole thread. There are links and pictures within.
Sorry Guy's for the slow response.

I don't drive the car that much, but intend on keeping it for a long time.

I've owned the WS6 for 13 years and dam all the funny noises, squeakes,rattles ect. a car can make this one doe's.

White.Lightning I'm not a expert mechanic but I've been around and modding cars for well over 25years, you Sir have a unuasalle sound from you'r engine I bet my $ it's not internal and there's nothing to worry about,

it's probablley a lose nut trapped inside the engine compartment.

when I first changed the plugs on mine I broke one of the rear Pass side plugs in half never could find the broke off half, however sometimes when blasting down the the expressway I will hear small part falling off HA HA.

These F-bodys are kindof strange I've been stuck off road and packed Georgia red clay inside the rear frame it dried and was like a rock bounceing around took years to fingure that noise, then I had a big bolt loose somewhere inside the fenders only heard it when going over a speed bump dam.

I currently have a loose valve stem bolt loose inside the tire only hear it when moving slow.

I will not mention all the squeakes from the poly bushings and loose heat heat shields I'm to lazy to track down, dam.

The sound I was initially hearing I'm convinced was from the A4 trans. being under strain like when it automatically upshifted during low speed RPMs dropped, I wanted to go well before the trans could downshift it strained thus the noise.

I'm sure you've looked hard do you have a telescopic magnet, get under there and fish around for loose ****.

The Guy's offered good advice however I don't think it's valve train or it would have seized a cylinder.

This may sound wierd but maybe a crusie down a bumpie dirt road will disslogde the **** that's bouncing around. I seriously don't think you have internal engine damage.

This a old thread my noise has'nt bothered me and I'm still beating the **** out of this car and loving it.

Back in the day a friend of mine was a shop foreman at the Pontica dealership I meat him though having the same car he was a very smart mechanic and could tell you exactly what was wronge w/ the car just by the noise cruise by a few places and let them have a listen not a test drive.

good luck, if you resolve the noise post up the results.

BTW White.Lightning nice looking TA.

Last edited by badmfkr; 04-29-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: before a bearing failure are there any signs