Default Best timing tuner

Which should I get?

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...&cat=57&page=1

http://nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/pro...product_id=965

http://nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/pro...roduct_id=2967
Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interface for sure. You also get a fueling device that can be used even on wet hits to fine tune your intial a/f ratio and fuel dry hits for sure. Also, be aware that some of the timing pulling devices will not show that they are pulling timing in your logs. This is due to where/how they pull timing. the interface will log fine.
Robert
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I prefer the Lingerfelter unit. It is the simpliest to install. Does not rely on the iat sensor and has the largest amount of adjustability with out having to have tunning software. You can literaly add it into a consisting system in less than five minutes. You can also hook up the 5 volt reference wire to tuning software and varify its pulling timming.

Best, easiest option on the market....

My second option would be the timming tunner or MSD twister. These devices use the most reliable and accurate method of pulling timming.
Dave
Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interface. Great out of the box, but also offers infinite adjustability when used in conjunction with HPtuners etc. Also gains features for fueling if you ever need it and yes that can apply to wet kits as well to dial in the perfect a/f ratio with the flip of a switch. Also can be used in conjunction with progressive controllers.

Nick
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I have mine set up to pull 12° for my 200 shot, below picture. Of course I know have 4 different saved timing curves. That is another important feature for many. You can have a tune for your 1st stage saved, one for your 2nd stage saved and one saved for both stages. You can also save one pull curve for pump gas and save one for race gas. You can also, have a curve with different amounts of timing pulled, for instance, lets say we have x amount on activation, then we add some more in as with approach torque peak with the greatest amount pulled at the torque peak, then we chose to add some back in as we approach the top end. Such a vesitile tuning tool that kills all the rest. Just compare what each device can and can't do, then look at the price, I did. I did like the Lingenfelter piece, but the HSW beat it out in over all abilities, but will likely get their launch controller as their products are top notch. Then don't forget the fueling for fine tuning any dry or wet kit, standard or direct port no other fueling tuner on the market like this. Both features can be used with-out a lap top or a tuner program for those that don't want or need them.

This is a screen capture of what I changed selecting the 158° column. This advanced feature requires the use of a tuner program, but well worth it for the more advanced users.

This is the same car but a stock screen shot. So you can see by selecting different columns you can pull different amounts right out of the box with-out a tuner program or lap-top. You just need to see the look up table for your car.

Robert
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Personally I prefer the Lingerfelter unit. It is the simpliest to install. Does not rely on the iat sensor and has the largest amount of adjustability with out having to have tunning software. You can literaly add it into a consisting system in less than five minutes. You can also hook up the 5 volt reference wire to tuning software and varify its pulling timming.

Best, easiest option on the market....

My second option would be the timming tunner or MSD twister. These devices use the most reliable and accurate method of pulling timming.
Dave
If i went with the linkerfelter unit. would i still need the FJO?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Do you need a tuning program for the interface controller to work for fueling or does it run off of the maf? Does it automaticly pull -3 for a ls1 out of the box also?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

The Timing Tuner works great................
Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's how I have mine set up to pull 12° for my 200 shot, below picture. Of course I know have 4 different saved timing curves. That is another important feature for many. You can have a tune for your 1st stage saved, one for your 2nd stage saved and one saved for both stages. You can also save one pull curve for pump gas and save one for race gas. You can also, have a curve with different amounts of timing pulled, for instance, lets say we have x amount on activation, then we add some more in as with approach torque peak with the greatest amount pulled at the torque peak, then we chose to add some back in as we approach the top end. Such a vesitile tuning tool that kills all the rest. Just compare what each device can and can't do, then look at the price, I did. I did like the Lingenfelter piece, but the HSW beat it out in over all abilities, but will likely get their launch controller as their products are top notch. Then don't forget the fueling for fine tuning any dry or wet kit, standard or direct port no other fueling tuner on the market like this. Both features can be used with-out a lap top or a tuner program for those that don't want or need them.

This is a screen capture of what I changed selecting the 158° column. This advanced feature requires the use of a tuner program, but well worth it for the more advanced users.

This is the same car but a stock screen shot. So you can see by selecting different columns you can pull different amounts right out of the box with-out a tuner program or lap-top. You just need to see the look up table for your car.

Robert
Yep im more confused now...but im also an idiot
Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99_Z28
Do you need a tuning program for the interface controller to work for fueling or does it run off of the maf? Does it automaticly pull -3 for a ls1 out of the box also?
You do not need a tuning program, but a wideband is a good idea to make sure you have the Interface set right.

No, it does not automatically remove that much timing. You will have to change a few switches.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jetlag
You do not need a tuning program, but a wideband is a good idea to make sure you have the Interface set right.

No, it does not automatically remove that much timing. You will have to change a few switches.

Wow thats cool...looking to get a 100 dry shot. I already have a wideband, it runs at 12.9-13.1 at wot. What is a good a/f to run while spraying?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Wow thats cool...looking to get a 100 dry shot. I already have a wideband, it runs at 12.9-13.1 at wot. What is a good a/f to run while spraying?
I have been running a 125 shot BEHIND the MAF. It works great, I'll be stepping up to a 150 shot soon.

I don't recommend you do that unless you have bigger injectors. My car now has a Racetronix fuel pump kit and SVO 30# injectors. Also, with your car being a 99, you will probably be maxxing out your stock injectors. They are smaller than 98, 01-02.

High 11s is good.

Here is a picture of how easy it is to set....just flip a few switches!

Last edited by jetlag; 04-06-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

I assume the interface controller is only good if you're using the MAF and not running a SD tune?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
I assume the interface controller is only good if you're using the MAF and not running a SD tune?
Correct!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Banned

I have been running a 125 shot BEHIND the MAF. It works great, I'll be stepping up to a 150 shot soon.

I don't recommend you do that unless you have bigger injectors. My car now has a Racetronix fuel pump kit and SVO 30# injectors. Also, with your car being a 99, you will probably be maxxing out your stock injectors. They are smaller than 98, 01-02.

High 11s is good.

Here is a picture of how easy it is to set....just flip a few switches!

Nice!

When I picked up my used ls6 intake it came with some 98 28.5(?) injectors. Did you tap the nossle right into the bellows? I have the smooth one. Did you run the 11.0 on the 125 shot? What did it run on motor?

thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Correct!
No the interface can be used for SD. You have to take the power from the MAF harness thou. HSW told me this a few months ago...double check with them to be sure though.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
Yes and no, the fueling feature cannot be used in a speed density tune, the timing controls in fact can still be used.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

<- Image linked to product on site just...... click picture

IMO the Lingenfelter unit is the best timing control device out there....You can also hook it to HPtuners or EFI Live and actually see the timing being pulled out to make sure it' working properly.

-Chris

Last edited by Chris@NitroDaves; 04-08-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
<- Image linked to product on site just...... click picture

IMO the Lingenfelter unit is the best timing control device out there....You can also hook it to HPtuners or LS1 Edit and actually see the timing being pulled out to make sure it' working properly.

-Chris
Chris,

How can it hook up to LS1edit? As far as I know there isn't a analog input available on them unless it has been updated. Also, according to the directions, you also need to input values into HP Tuners to equate with the voltage signals being sent out the analog output. 0 volts equals 0 degrees and 3 volts equals 15 degrees which will then offer an independent line item showing the incoming signals as timing being pulled, but not the actual timing curve. I also want to note that a scan tool will still not see the timing being pulled as it is after the pcm. It is a very nice feature that they included in the device to verify that it is doing its job, but its not as simple as just hooking up a wire as you indicate and that the signal coming out is still just a verification that it is working in the form of reference voltage.

Nick
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Did you run the 11.0 on the 125 shot? What did it run on motor?

thanks
The car went 11.100 on a 100 shot, and 11.93 with just a few bolt ons. After adding a 6pt rollbar, Moser 9" with 3.50s, and taking out just a little bit of weight (A/C, backseat,ABS) It went 12.19 on a crappy launch (I need to rev higher on launch with 3.50s, didn't do it this time. So I'm sure I could have gotten at least a 12.0) On the bottle, I was having trouble finding a good launch rpm and the shifts were off. FINALLY got a great launch, my shift points tuned right, went 11.04 on a 125 shot and the bottle went empty...haha So the car has 10s easy, but every single track day has been rained out recently. Sunny and 60-70degrees all week, race day and its 40 and raining, then after race day is sunny and 60-70 again. That has been happening for 4 weeks.

Quick Reply: Best timing tuner