Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Autometer help.

Im looking for an Autometer transmission temperature guage and was told to look at Jegs or Summit because Autometer's site is a bit confusing. Anyhow, I looked at both sites and theres so many to choose from, how do I know which one I need? I didnt know whether I needed electric or mechanical and what size I needed. Then all the different series they have...whats the difference between all of them? All I really care about is that its accurate, that it reads the temperature for the tranny, has a silver face, and will work for a 200-4R in a late model F-body. Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me which one I would need? Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Autometer help.

I would like to know as well.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Autometer Ultralite electrical is the one you want. What size you want is up to you. I run the smaller one (I believe 2 1/16"), in my cup holder, while a most of the TransAm guys run the larger (2 5/8") in one of their A/C vents.

Chris
Old 10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

Thanks...do you know if it comes with everything that I need to hook it up and is that particular gauge universal? (need it to work w/ a 200-4R) Im not sure if every install is the same, but does anyone know how it needs to be installed for a 200-4R? Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to know how it is installed on the 4L60E,lol tia
Old 10-22-2003, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, that gauge will work for any tranny. The installation methods vary. Some guys have mounted the sending unit directly to a factory port in the tranny, or tapped the pan for the sender. When I installed my 2 5/8" Sport Comp (black face with silver ring) electrical gauge, I opted to use Autometer's sending unit manifold kit. I installed it in the pressure line leaving the tranny, before it reaches the radiator or cooler. The kit comes with compression fittings that mount it in line, and then the sending unit threads into it. Clean install and accurate readings.

Jeff
Old 10-22-2003, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

There is a pressure 'tap' on the driver's side above and in front of the linkage. It is a standard (not metric) thread.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club NA

Whats the difference between a full sweep and a short sweep? Besides the looks of the different series of guages, is there anything different about them or make the more expensive ones better than the cheaper ones? Are the more expensive ones more accurate? Thanks