General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power window/lock controls keep popping out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window/lock controls keep popping out...

Hey everyone, so this has been happening to me for awhile now. The power window/lock controls wont stay in the slot they go into. For awhile it was just one of the black clips that hold it in kept loosening up and coming out and i'd just stick it back in and then put the controls back in. Well, of course the black clip eventually got lost and the one clip alone will barely hold them in. I've searched all over the place on the internet looking to buy a (or multiple) replacements and have had no luck.

Has anyone else had any problems with this? If so where did you find the clips or how did you remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about the spring clips that slide into the "ears" on the panel? http://shbox.com/page/W1.jpg I broke one of the plastic ear slots and it kept falling out, fortunately I found it and used a couple drops of super glue to keep it in place, has been fine for years now. If you can't find it here's the part numbers, maybe the dealership can get them.

Camaro - 9722397
Firebird - 10410811
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Teching In

The black metal clip that you have the arrow pointing too in the picture is exactly what i lost and was talking about. I'm pretty sure that it just fell back through the handle and back into the door panel...and i began to take off the door panel the other day but it was beginning to turn into quite a hassle as i don't exactly know what i'm doing and i don't want to mess it up or break anything.

Thank you for the part number! I may have to try that. I thought about going to a junk yard and seeing if i could snag one off of a wrecked car but idk. I'm thinking that the dealer may be my best bet.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

I just superglued mine. It works fine
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MaxMuscle
The black metal clip that you have the arrow pointing too in the picture is exactly what i lost and was talking about. I'm pretty sure that it just fell back through the handle and back into the door panel...and i began to take off the door panel the other day but it was beginning to turn into quite a hassle as i don't exactly know what i'm doing and i don't want to mess it up or break anything.

Thank you for the part number! I may have to try that. I thought about going to a junk yard and seeing if i could snag one off of a wrecked car but idk. I'm thinking that the dealer may be my best bet.
only go to the dealer as a last resort oreillys auto parts has them you can order them online at oreillysautoparts.com a big box of them are like five bucks compared to going to dealership and u pay 15 for just one!!! good luck hope this helps!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

chriscasey@kendallauto.com

this guy has them for a dollar
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I need a clip too. Mine's been lost since I got the car. The panel was glued in with crazy glue but I had to clean that crap up when I took the door apart to change the window motor.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default Cheap fix

Originally Posted by MaxMuscle
Hey everyone, so this has been happening to me for awhile now. The power window/lock controls wont stay in the slot they go into. For awhile it was just one of the black clips that hold it in kept loosening up and coming out and i'd just stick it back in and then put the controls back in. Well, of course the black clip eventually got lost and the one clip alone will barely hold them in. I've searched all over the place on the internet looking to buy a (or multiple) replacements and have had no luck.

Has anyone else had any problems with this? If so where did you find the clips or how did you remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance!
I had the same thing happen to me after I had to remove the door panel and switch. The switch plate would not stay flush any longer. I went to the dealership and purchased two new metal clips for .75 cents each. Be careful putting the clip on the switch plate. They're sharp!

Quick Reply: Power window/lock controls keep popping out...