General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car shakes at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car shakes at 70mph

I took the car out this past weekend on the freeway and when i was doing 70 the car shakes really bad to the point that the passanger seat is about to fly off lol The car has been sitting all winter and last year it did the same thing but not as bad at only at 80mph. Now im not sure if its because im used to driving a 06 tbss or what but im not caring too much for the shaking anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the front end need to be aligned? Also, how long was it sitting? Are the tires flat from where they rested for so long, I've also seen that
Old 03-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

check the simple stuff first tires,wheels,lug nuts,then jack the front end up and grab a hold of the tire and see if moves side to side and then top and bottom to see if it moves in and out much you should have very little to no movement. This is just what I would do for a start.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

One of your tires might be bad, you say it has sat for awhile. Look for a bulge and if you don't find one, rotate the tires, you could have developed a flat spot on one from sitting.

The weights used to balance wheels sometimes fall or get knocked off. You could have a wheel out of balance.

You want to look at the rotating parts of the drive train. The U joints shouldn't go bad just sitting. But check them anyway. Maybe one went bad once you started driving it again. Just a few ideas.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

I'd check for a stuck brake caliper. After sitting that long that's the first thing to look at. Does it pull to one side when you brake it? A front caliper will show up as steering wheel shake and a rear caliper will be body shake. Tire flat spots usually go away after a couple miles but you could have a bad tire. Its not likely for it to go out of alignment from just sitting.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Most of the vibration seems to come from the rear of the car, The tires are new i just got them right before i put the car away for winter. It doesnt pull to anyside when i brake just when im at 70mph it starts to shake really bad.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Always suspect anything new or changed!!! I would take it back to the tire shop and have them check the balance on the tires. I needed to have a set on a Corvette balanced three times before they got it right. Also a belt might have shifted in a tire. Either way, start with your tire dealer. It should be a no charge fix.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine sits during winter, too, and it takes a good 100 miles for my tires to round back out. This may sound strange, but burn the rear tires a bit to more quicky get rid of flat spots... or just drive it awhile.

If there's still a vibration, my next step would be a re-balance.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99nbmws6
Most of the vibration seems to come from the rear of the car, The tires are new i just got them right before i put the car away for winter. It doesnt pull to anyside when i brake just when im at 70mph it starts to shake really bad.
My money's on one of the three:
Improperly Installed Wheels (check your lugs)
Warped Rotor
Stuck Caliper

Quick Reply: car shakes at 70mph