Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI and tires ,if you are over 600rwhp come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default FI and tires ,if you are over 600rwhp come on in!

Ok still can't decide what tires to get to hook up my beast.

So what tires are you running for street and what tires for track.
Type and size and any comments you want to make about how they hook up.

There also seems to be a few new tires kicking around that maybe a few of you guys have tried out...toyo drag radials and nitto 05s to name two of them.

Also while understand some tires like et street radials are ok in 1/4 how are they for cornering on the highway at high speed?

I am not just interested in 1/4 mile like a tire that can handle decently at high speeds also.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitto 555s 315X35s on 11X17" on back and 245X45s on 9.5X17" front. Right at 490rwhp W/a4, They hook good ( straight or sideways ) after they warm up. Love them.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mickey Thompson DR's are your friends. Their new ones for the larger rims 17+ have a more rain friendly tread pattern as well. Unfortunately, no one tire will do it all. I run 325/50/15's on my car all the time. If it's going to rain I use my Nittos. If not, the car is on the Mickeys (1.34 60" on these). I have two sets of Weld 15X10 for the back. I have skinnies up front so no cornering for me.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I run 275/40/17 MT DR's and love them. I did go canyon carving with them a few times and they work good less than 50 mph but faster than that and cornering is not super stable.
They do hook badass, but wear fast.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

295/45 18 .9.5 inch rim all the way around Tires are Bfgoodwrench G force sports great summer tire very soft and sticky once warm. Down side is they wont last long one good burnut and they are gone. Its the same street tire I used to run my time in the sig after I was booted for no cage and other ****.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Teching In

My Z06 has 644rwhp, here is my 2 cents worth.

Mickey thompson DR by far hook better than the nitto's! The bad news is you CAN NOT drive on them in the rain, even when they are brand new.

Nitto's DR hook pretty good and are good enough in the rain to use on a daily driver. I was not comfortable taking any kind of corners at high speeds.

I'm now using Nitto RII's, ( the road racing tire ) I can't tell any difference in straight traction from Nitto DR's. They seem the perfect fit for added traction and daily driving, even in the rain.

MM
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Because I run a stealth fighter, I just have stock sized 245/50/16 Nitto DR on stock 96 Salad shooters. You can forget traction in 1st and 2nd if you plant the gas pedal. Sometimes even 3rd has spinning on Asphalt. Concrete seems to hold so much better. Most of my play time is just squirting past/away in 3rd and/or 4th on quick freeway pulls. I just bought an AEM Electric Boost Controller but methinks I should've gotten the
E-boost so I could attenuate boost per gear. I'm installing 3;55 gears this weekend (currently using 4.10's as a leftover from my solid roller 383 last year) so I don't know if this will make traction issues better or worse.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M/T 325-50R15's do a decent all around job, that is what we have on my Camaro in the above picture. I've driven with them in the rain with a customer's car that had a spool on a 60 mile jaunt in a downpour. I kept it at 50 mph and didn't have any problems. Bob
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

How are tires like the mt et street radials and m and h street radials at higher speeds say on the highway if you air them up? Will the car start getting scary at highway speeds when there is more than a straight line involved. I don't want a 1/4 mile car want an all around car.

From reading maybe should get some michelin ps2 for daily driving although they are stupid expensive and some et street radials or m and h for when really need to hook the car up for 1/4 mile type of play. I don't have to drive my car in the rain have other vehicles but might get caught in some very rarely.I would of course drive slowly hopefully could at least do the speed limit on et street radials or m and h street radials.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not quite to the 600HP but at 560HP I use the BFG KDWs and like them for everyday driving. They hook if you take it easy and if for some reason I get caught in the rain no probs. I tried the MT ET Streets and hated them for the street. I did'nt feel comfortable taking corners at highway speeds because they made the car bounce around a lot. Love the ET Streets for the track though... only prob is the ride up and back you have to take is easy. Also getting caught in the rain is not good in the et streets. I would'nt do over 50MPH on the highway. Also starting at the stoplights is a 2nd gear job and you still spin.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

315/35/17 M/T DR's on the Fikse's, 325's on the Bogarts. They hook up sick at the track, street, anything over 50 and it's pretty good.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

700+rwhp and im on BFg G-force kdw Drag radials in the back..on an 18inch rim. with 790rwtq its hard to get anything to hook on the street but on a nice warm day they tend to hook up very well in 2nd and up. 1st gear is pretty useless when the boost hits...i dont think anything will help me in that department. but for everyday use if i needed to drive the car everyday this is an awsome tire. very soft and sticky and they handle excellent. they are alot better than my 17" nitto drags i had on the stock rims.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Umm so you have the g force drag radial or the g force kdw..one is not a drag radial .
I am think leaning to firestone wide oval for daily driving they seem to be affordable ,second choice would be the more expensive michelin pilot ps2 that are pretty much standard I guess on almost all the high power cars . And think will run some m and h or maybe et streets at the track or for occasional fun on the street. I don't think want to drive full time around on et street radials or m and h due to short tread life and can't see them being very good for handling and some higher speed playing around.

I don't think have much confidence in nitto drag radials at the track have tried in the past with them and pretty much only et street radials or similar hooks at our local track.

On the street nittos might still be a bit of an option or the new toyos which look to be like a bit of a newly designed nitto. Toyo and nitto are same parent company or something?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

what would you guys suggest for street and road track use. im going to be around 700whp and im not planing on having a drag car im looking for handling.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

acid rain. youll want to look at some R compounds such as R888's or nitto NT05's for your application
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefamily

Mickey thompson DR by far hook better than the nitto's! The bad news is you CAN NOT drive on them in the rain, even when they are brand new.

MM
Have you tried the new DR's with the new tread style.I run those and theyre much better in the rain.Ive been on the highway several times.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettefamily

Nitto's DR hook pretty good and are good enough in the rain to use on a daily driver. I was not comfortable taking any kind of corners at high speeds.

I'm now using Nitto RII's, ( the road racing tire ) I can't tell any difference in straight traction from Nitto DR's. They seem the perfect fit for added traction and daily driving, even in the rain.

MM
I got caught in a down pour in my M/T's and they are just fine in the rain sub 55MPH.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Thankyou.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I've driven with them in the rain with a customer's car that had a spool on a 60 mile jaunt in a downpour. I kept it at 50 mph and didn't have any problems. Bob
You are very brave. I can say that they are far more tolerant in the rain when they are behind an auto. Something about the torque converter slip that must keep it planted. When I first got my motor in my car, it was an M6 and I had the stock 16" wheels with the little mickeys on them. It started to rain and I was driving at 35 mph thru some really wide turns on my way home from the pool store. I felt the rear kick out just a hair one way, I corrected and the next thing I knew I was facing on coming traffic on the other side of the road. If I do get caught in the rain with the mickey's on, I turn on the hazards and "white knuckle" drive at 30 mph until I can get on some dry asphalt. Brand new shinny asphalt or any kind of standing water is the worst.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Umm so you have the g force drag radial or the g force kdw..one is not a drag radial .
I am think leaning to firestone wide oval for daily driving they seem to be affordable ,second choice would be the more expensive michelin pilot ps2 that are pretty much standard I guess on almost all the high power cars . And think will run some m and h or maybe et streets at the track or for occasional fun on the street. I don't think want to drive full time around on et street radials or m and h due to short tread life and can't see them being very good for handling and some higher speed playing around.

I don't think have much confidence in nitto drag radials at the track have tried in the past with them and pretty much only et street radials or similar hooks at our local track.

On the street nittos might still be a bit of an option or the new toyos which look to be like a bit of a newly designed nitto. Toyo and nitto are same parent company or something?
BFG makes 2 drag radials...

old g-force drag radial:

new g-force drag radial and it says KDW on the side wall: these ar the ones i have in the rear and i have reguler KDW radials in the front.

Quick Reply: FI and tires ,if you are over 600rwhp come on in!