LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Delteq/Ignition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delteq/Ignition problems?

Mods are in the sig. Plugs and wires were replaced when the cam went in in August. Opti is GM and roughly 3 years old with about 35-40k miles. Everything has been running fine both before and after the cam swap until about 2 weeks ago. On hard acceleration, around 3000 rpms the car will start to miss and sputter really bad, on one occasion the car even shut off. I had to pull over and restart the car and it would start up and idle fine. Today, while sitting at a red light, the car just died for no apparent reason. It fired right back up with no hesitation or rough idle. The weird thing is that this happens intermittently and not every time. The car is not throwing any codes and it seems to drive fine under normal driving (except for today at the stop light) but under hard acceleration it misses like crazy, backfires and sometimes cuts off. There doesn't seem to be any arching of the wires. I'm wondering if it could be the delteq optibox. Since delteq seems to be nonexistent, I have no technical support. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cas0484
Mods are in the sig. Plugs and wires were replaced when the cam went in in August. Opti is GM and roughly 3 years old with about 35-40k miles. Everything has been running fine both before and after the cam swap until about 2 weeks ago. On hard acceleration, around 3000 rpms the car will start to miss and sputter really bad, on one occasion the car even shut off. I had to pull over and restart the car and it would start up and idle fine. Today, while sitting at a red light, the car just died for no apparent reason. It fired right back up with no hesitation or rough idle. The weird thing is that this happens intermittently and not every time. The car is not throwing any codes and it seems to drive fine under normal driving (except for today at the stop light) but under hard acceleration it misses like crazy, backfires and sometimes cuts off. There doesn't seem to be any arching of the wires. I'm wondering if it could be the delteq optibox. Since delteq seems to be nonexistent, I have no technical support. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
I'd remove all the aftermarket ignition components in an attempt to rule them out. Then I would test the coil and ICM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

How is fuel pressure?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I'd remove all the aftermarket ignition components in an attempt to rule them out. Then I would test the coil and ICM.
With the Delteq there is multiple coils and no more ICM as it is handled by the Opti brain of the Delteq setup. Since you say that it is happening with you start to accelerate I would tend to believe the optical pickup on the Opti is going out as the delteq setup still uses low res signals from the opti for the CP. My guess change the opti, but it really sucks cause you don't use it but for one thing that CPS.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DAVE00
With the Delteq there is multiple coils and no more ICM as it is handled by the Opti brain of the Delteq setup. Since you say that it is happening with you start to accelerate I would tend to believe the optical pickup on the Opti is going out as the delteq setup still uses low res signals from the opti for the CP. My guess change the opti, but it really sucks cause you don't use it but for one thing that CPS.
1 ACDelco #D1980A Ignition Control Module
Included with the Opti-Direct system are:

# Delteq Opti-Box (the "brain")
# Plug & play wiring harnesses
# New Delphi ignition module with 4 coils (the "coilpack")
# Application-specific brackets
Attached Thumbnails Delteq/Ignition problems?-delco-1980.jpg.gif  
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

The bitch quote rawks
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

IF I were to guess. it is possible a coil pack is going bad. easy to check on that set up. Stock injectors still?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the ideas. Need to check the fuel pressure. Yeah, unhooking the delteq would be a pain. I guess I'll have to just go through the entire ignition system. Plugs, wires, coilpacks, icm. If those all check out and the fuel pressure is ok I guess the chances increase that it is the opti? Bad o2's wouldn't cause problems like this would they?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
IF I were to guess. it is possible a coil pack is going bad. easy to check on that set up. Stock injectors still?
Yep, stock injectors
Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Launching!

I had the same type of problem with my delteq set up (lots of missing and then death) but my missing would happen more and More as the engine warmed up, then it just stopped running, but it turned out I had a bad sensor on the opti so I had to replace it anyway. Runs great now though...
Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

hey cas0484 i would like to know if you got it all fixed? cuz im having the same problems with my setup, but i have had the same problem since i owned the car and have replaced the opti once already, and it happened about a week after i replaced the opti also, right now my car wont start at all, i get fuel but no spark.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Well, I had a friend who is a mechanic take the car for 4-5 days. The first 2 days he had it were pretty bad, missing, stalling like crazy. He went through the entire system checking the opti, plugs, wires, coilpacks, fuel pressue etc... and everything looked good. The signal from the opti was normal when the car was running normal and he couldn't get the car to act up while it was in the driveway so he could test it. He did notice that the coilpacks were loose due to the screws holding them down. After going through everything and tightening down the coilpacks it hasn't acted up since. I'm hoping that it fixed my problem but I'm not holding my breath. So far, so good though.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I had a friend who is a mechanic take the car for 4-5 days. The first 2 days he had it were pretty bad, missing, stalling like crazy. He went through the entire system checking the opti, plugs, wires, coilpacks, fuel pressue etc... and everything looked good. The signal from the opti was normal when the car was running normal and he couldn't get the car to act up while it was in the driveway so he could test it. He did notice that the coilpacks were loose due to the screws holding them down. After going through everything and tightening down the coilpacks it hasn't acted up since. I'm hoping that it fixed my problem but I'm not holding my breath. So far, so good though.
Why not get rid of the Delteq like I suggested???
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Why not get rid of the Delteq like I suggested???
Well, my cap and rotor on the opti is bad hence why I went with Delteq years ago. At this point though, that is the next option if it starts acting up again. Even if I can't narrow the problem down to the opti or the delteq opti-box I figured buying a complete new opti will allow me to go back and be so much easier to diagnose and repair than this damn delteq with zero support.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, my cap and rotor on the opti is bad hence why I went with Delteq years ago. At this point though, that is the next option if it starts acting up again. Even if I can't narrow the problem down to the opti or the delteq opti-box I figured buying a complete new opti will allow me to go back and be so much easier to diagnose and repair than this damn delteq with zero support.
Exactly. Make sure if you do, that you get a new unit from "thepartsladi" on Ebay. Best prices for oem opti's anywhere.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Teching In

I just whent through a problem like this i change the coil,plugs,and wires,fpr,flue pump and it was still there my car would run fine it would just miss and cutting out around 2800 to 3200 rpm after all that it ended up being the mass air sensor so maybe try that
Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

I have a delteq setup and having the same prob with missing at high rpm only under load and now death all together...crank but no start... i replaced the opti twice and the ICM for the delteq with no luck so i think its safe to say it narrows it down to the brainbox but no luck finding replacement ...
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

one word DYNASPARK......bought mine a year ago and it works perfect with the delteq set-up. I have had ZERO problems. check your coil-packs and then see if the sensor inside your opti is bad. seriously best money i spent and it comes with a lifetime warranty. if it breaks you have to pay 50 bucks and you get a new one.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Teching In

are you sayin check the coils for spark? Im not getting any spark ..any idea how to test the opti sensor? if the optibox is bad i would think that would cause no spark also..

Originally Posted by Lgoldtop
one word DYNASPARK......bought mine a year ago and it works perfect with the delteq set-up. I have had ZERO problems. check your coil-packs and then see if the sensor inside your opti is bad. seriously best money i spent and it comes with a lifetime warranty. if it breaks you have to pay 50 bucks and you get a new one.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

How common is optical sensor failure? I have a coil per cylinder setup in my car. It was already setup when I bought it and ran okay for a while (few months) on my transplanted motor. My alternator died and ever since then I get some crazy misfiring/sputtering under even the smallest amount of engine load. I dont know if the the alternator was a cause or coincidence but, the problem seemed to start right after I fixed that. I have swapped all plugs, wires, and coils hoping that it was just something easy. I would like to know if there is a way to test the optical sensor other than just replacing it.

Quick Reply: Delteq/Ignition problems?