Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Nuked my capicator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nuked my capicator?

Alrighty,
When I was putting my system into my car, I accidentially touched the 2 terminals on my cap. to eachother. There was a big spark when it discharged. Well, once I hooked it up to my system, my sub didn't seem to be hitting nearly as hard as in my old car. Now I know that this is a different car and I have a slightly different size box, but could that discharge of the cap. have damaged the cap. which is now impeeding the flow? Any thoughs would be great!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Nuked my capicator?

did you re-charge the cap? It's a big no-no to let those touch.
-Steve
Old 10-22-2003, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

The cap. wasn't connected to the system when this happened. After the discharge, I recharged the cap. per the instructions and then connected it to the system. Could I have damaged the cap.? Could this cause the poor performance of my system? I am going to try running the system without the cap and see if it is any better. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any leakage from the cap or is it swelled up at all? Brax makes a cap tester if you can find one at a local car audio shop. I have one if you happen to be in Florida
Good luck
Old 10-23-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

MOST LIKELY IF THE CAP WAS DAMAGED BADLY IT WOULD NOT LET POWER THRU IT AND YOU WOULD SEE VISIBLE SIGNS
Old 10-26-2003, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should only [ONLY] charge up a cap after it is installed in its postion. Bad things can happen.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Glitch that is not true. You can charge the cap in or out of the car. Have you ever heard of Richard Clark? He is a electronics/audio guru that owns a company called Autosound 2000. Well during capacitor demos he would stick one in the front of his pants and charge and discaharge it. If you install a cap correctly there is no danger at all.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your cap is not hurt. I have touched them together a few times. (Not on purpose) I had two 1 farad caps linked together with a bus bar installed for over a year. One day I hit a big bump in the road and the actual head of the screw that goes into the cap snapped off and allowed the bars to touch. ALL my lights went out for a split second. The fuse under the hood popped. The bars were BADLY damaged. They were almost melted together. After some work I was able to pull them apart. I replace the broken screw, charged em' back up, replaced my fuse under the hood and they have played perfect ever since. I still can not believe the screw snapped in half..... I have hit WAY bigger bumps then that....
Old 10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Funny store but not unheard of firebirdude. It is well known around deess parts that the mounting bolts in most caps SUCK. I can not count how many have snapped. I stopped using the pretty gold ones and have switched to using stainless steel. But I have never seen one break over a bump lol.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I KNOW! There was no weight on it at all..... I don't see how that could have happened.....but it did.....and it blows my mind! lol
Old 10-30-2003, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glitch that is not true. You can charge the cap in or out of the car.
I know you can, but why? Give me an advantage of having a live cap fumbeling around while your installing it? Just charge it afterwards!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

just wondering, but since we think the cap problem is out, what is the subs you have now, what was the size of the old box, and what is the size of the new one. also is the box ported or not?? and how much difference is the sound from the old car. was it a louder bass tone, or did you have a more solid hit or punch noise. i am running digital lightning audio cap with my two 1000 RF pro amps, which are powering my two 15" RF Hx2 Powers. touched the two terminals together accidentally, recharged the cap, and still plays the same!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

How do you like those power 15's was considering them for me but not sure yet?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

what are your running that you actually need caps, I have a adire brahma 15
with a revo 1500.1 and am seeing 147db legally and I dont need a cap.....
did you upgrade all you ground and power wires?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Real simple way to find out if your cap is dead. Gonna need a 12volt power source(car or bench 12volt power supply) and a multimeter. Charge it up to about 14 volts and then disconnet the power and ground. Let the cap sit for about 30 minutes if they voltage has dropped significantly like more than 2 volts the cap is shot and you have to buy a new one.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

I am pushing 600W max to my sub and eventually will and an amp for the mains when I have enought $ to put good stuff in there. I have the cap a just cheap insurance. Got a great deal on it, so I figured...why not...couldn't hurt. Anywho, all seems to be working. If it was dead, would it even allow voltage though? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

It depends it may hold a charge for a few minutes or it may not hold a charge at all. If it does either best bet is to pitch it and get another.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Koncrete
what are your running that you actually need caps, I have a adire brahma 15
with a revo 1500.1 and am seeing 147db legally and I dont need a cap.....
did you upgrade all you ground and power wires?
The size of cap that is recommened (1F for 1K watts) isn't going to do squat for the amp. EDIT: Taking that part out for I can't find posts in regards to what I had typed.

I say, save your money, buy bigger power wire, buy a bigger alternator or a better amp or speaker for that matter or use the money to take your g/f out to dinner, I dunno, just don't waste it on a cap that isn't going to do anything for your audio system.

If anybody would like the evidence of this just say so and I will post it up. Lets just say if somebody who knows what they are talking about explains the theory behind the marketing that is used to sell caps you'd understand why I say what I say. I can get an electrical engineers perspective on this if need be but I won't unless somebody wants to see it.

Ted

Last edited by Ted J; 11-07-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skytower31
Anywho, all seems to be working. If it was dead, would it even allow voltage though? Thanks!
Remember, the cap is in parallel so unless it's providing a short, which in turn would blow your fuse up by the battery, it's not going to change anything if it's not working.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

Ted J.....please post information pertaining to Richard Clark saying caps do not work. I have had personal conversations with the man about them and he said nothing of the sort. I would really like to read any info you might have.