Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans covered in Eng Oil.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans covered in Eng Oil.......

well last week whil at the track, my car had a puddle of oil under the trans, looked more up there and the trans is covered in oil, yet the engine shows no signs of oil.

talked to my buddy and said it sounds like the oil sending unit.

just took it off and it looks good, but im going to change it, the oil appears to be coming from the cam sensor, so im going to replace that as well and take no chances.

thoughts-opinions?

thanks
brandon
Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I honestly don't think either of those are your problem and am willing to bet that its the freeze plug in the back of the crank.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

even w/ oil laying up top next to both sensors?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I honestly don't think either of those are your problem and am willing to bet that its the freeze plug in the back of the crank.
just realized what you said, and it makes no sense..... if the freeze plug popped, coolant would be leaking not oil
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
just realized what you said, and it makes no sense..... if the freeze plug popped, coolant would be leaking not oil
if you got coolant in your crank shaft you have a bigger problem than just an oil leak. At the rear center of the crank shafts (LS1 engines) is a small "freeze" plug, when its leaking it leaks oil because the crank shaft is supposed to be full of oil, for lubricating stuff yo. Yeah, dumb ****** place for a oil freeze plug but hey, I didnt design it. If theres oil all over the top of your trans, probably what you said, if only botton of trans start checking main seal area. There should be a small access cover on the bottom of the bell housing, pull it and check inside the bell housing for oil. That was alot of typing, I'm done.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

its on top of the trans and came down, i noticed that the wire loom behind the intake was splashed w/ oil as well indicating that the oil cam from up top
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the freeze plug in my crank was to keep my crank from freezing.

Don't you just love smart *****?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is a freeze plug in the back of the crankshaft. They can come out of place at times, and when they do it causes an oil leak. This is the same reason why you have to be careful removing the pilot bearing on an LS1 crank.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well last week whil at the track, my car had a puddle of oil under the trans, looked more up there and the trans is covered in oil, yet the engine shows no signs of oil.

talked to my buddy and said it sounds like the oil sending unit.

just took it off and it looks good, but im going to change it, the oil appears to be coming from the cam sensor, so im going to replace that as well and take no chances.

thoughts-opinions?

thanks
brandon
While not directly related, the wife's '04 CTS (3.6L) is on it's 3rd oil pressure sensor. Oil wicks up out of the sensor and fills the corrugated wire conduit to the point of obvious leakage. These are made in 'ol Mexico and of dubious quality. And there are no alternatives (these are AC-Delco branded).

Russ
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem....about the 3rd pass id make"every trip to track"rhere was a huge puddle of oil under the car.....i changed cam sensor,oil sender,rear main,rear cover gasket,oil pan gasket......it ended up being a head gasket...the old motor had alot of miles....mine seemed to push the oil on the top end of the track when i would shut the car down......good luck....
Old 04-01-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

very interesting good thread
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

ok so i replaced the cam and oil pressure sensors.....

everything looked good no leaks untill i went back to the track. started getting the leak again, still on top of the motor.

could it be the valley cover? or what else can i change out? or could it be coming from the timing cover?

thanks
brandon
Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
I had the same problem....about the 3rd pass id make"every trip to track"rhere was a huge puddle of oil under the car.....i changed cam sensor,oil sender,rear main,rear cover gasket,oil pan gasket......it ended up being a head gasket...the old motor had alot of miles....mine seemed to push the oil on the top end of the track when i would shut the car down......good luck....
Ive done the same thing. I replace every know gasket on this motor and it still leaks. It only does it when I do a WOT run. I give up and am going to start tearing apart pretty soon....
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the freeze plug in the crank leaked no way the clutch would not start slipping with oil all over the trans.
Brandon check the valve cover gaskets..... might be? or even that rear driver side grommet? you have a catch can, whats the pcv setup?

maybe that rear headbolt hole has a crack? that should be a coolent leak I think but Im sure anything can happen. Ive had import friend just had a poruse block weep, when they tuned the boost up. But it was fine for 50k miles. No crack, just bad porsity (sp? whatever that word is)
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 AM
10 Second Club

rear driver side gromet is good and no leaks, i guess ill pull the valve covers to check those thatll be easier then pulling the intake again, maybe ill get lucky.

if this helps, i saw a lil oil gathering right under the intake near the valley cover, def not the intake tho.