Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

System in '98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System in '98 Camaro

Guys -
I want to start putting together a system for my car. I mostly listen to rock and metal... not looking for a ton of base but I do want more than a "stock" system. I have heard of a few guys putting 8'' subs into the speaker panels in the B post. I am thinking of doing this and then just buying some higher end speakers to replace the door/hatch stockers. Maybe a 500 or 1000 watt amp to finish it off. Let me know what you think of this plan and what you guys have done or seen work well. Not looking to spend a fortune; I just want a solid system. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Default system

I went back and read through some previous threads on this topic..... I want to replace the door and hatch stock speakers like a lot of you have done. I haven't decided if I am going to replace the stock subs with 6.5'' or 8''; I know I will have to work harder to get the 8'' installed; any advice on what size/brand of sub to go with? Also.. I have the POS 200 watt monsoon amp and I want to replace it with something in the 500-750 watt range. Any suggestions? Finally, I have a monsoon head unit out of a '99 z28, if I replace all of this stuff, will I have to replace the head unit also? Will I be able to get the full benefit of my upgrades with this head unit or am I wasting my time with it? thanks for any input.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Most people seem to feel that the head unit is a much weaker link than the stock amp. I have replaced the door speakers and the head unit is next. After that I am plannig to add a sub and amp. The last step will be to upgrade the rest of the speakers, rewire, and replace the stock amp. The only thing I have not decided yet is whether to move the rear full range up to the sail panels or keep the mid bass there.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if i were you, id look into a 10'' sub in an mtx thunderform box that tucks away in the side, looks clean, sounds good. me myself wouldnt even both with an 8'' sub. but yes replace dorr and rear speakers it makes a ton of difference. you can use the stock deck, but i would look into getting something different, that will make a difference too. but then again this is coming from a guy with 3600$ in his system. good luck
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

yea... I know that putting a 10'' or 12'' sub and a box in would be optimal.. I just dont need a ton of base. Is replacing the stock subs in the sail panals with an aftermarket 6.5'' or 8'' even going to be noticable? Or is that a waste? As far as the stock amp goes.... I have heard that you get a lot of distortion from using it and you can get rid of a bunch by putting in a higher quality amp. Any thoughts on that? Thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have 8" mids in my sail panels and YES it helps with the mid bass.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

im in the same boat, pm kee audio. He'll get you what you want.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a good 4 channel 100rms x 4 @ 4ohms and power 6.5" components up front and a set of CDT, or ED 6.5" subs for the rear. Then make sure you put a layer of sound deadening with a single layer of 3/8" closed cell foam rubber glued to it inside the sailpanel, and inside the doors for better sound quality.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsGone97
yea... I know that putting a 10'' or 12'' sub and a box in would be optimal.. I just dont need a ton of base. Is replacing the stock subs in the sail panals with an aftermarket 6.5'' or 8'' even going to be noticable? Or is that a waste? As far as the stock amp goes.... I have heard that you get a lot of distortion from using it and you can get rid of a bunch by putting in a higher quality amp. Any thoughts on that? Thanks guys.
No, the factory head unit is the source of almost all distortion in a Monsoon system - it's a distortion machine. The Monsoon amp is actually quite good for what it does. It's not particularly powerful but it's better than using just HU power and there aren't many compact 8-channel amps with built-in frequency filtering available in the aftermarket.

Ian at Kee Audio will tell you not to install 8" subs in the sail panels. He's done it and regrets it. They sound okay but they don't sound any better than good 6.5" replacements so why butcher your body?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the factory head unit is the source of almost all distortion in a Monsoon system - it's a distortion machine. The Monsoon amp is actually quite good for what it does. It's not particularly powerful but it's better than using just HU power and there aren't many compact 8-channel amps with built-in frequency filtering available in the aftermarket.

Ian at Kee Audio will tell you not to install 8" subs in the sail panels. He's done it and regrets it. They sound okay but they don't sound any better than good 6.5" replacements so why butcher your body?

Thanks for the input. Is there such a thing as getting an aftermarket head unit and putting a monsoon face on it or something... really dont want an aftermarket head unit in my dash, I think they look like ****. Ian sounds like a good resource, if he would only return my calls/pms......
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you want oem looks you have 3 options. leave hu alone, dismantle the hu and rebuild it (never heard of being done but im sure is technically possible), or carputer since you have a plain screen like what it would have looked like if our cars had navi.

personally, i'd just go to sonicelectronix.com and look at the cheaper HUs since they will look more plain or factory, if you just want something simple but good noise.

Quick Reply: System in '98 Camaro