Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Cam position sensor????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Cam position sensor????

Help guys! 1st post! Got a 2000SS only starts when it wants to, when it does it fires immedietly and normal . Then it will go days or weeks just cranking over with no fire. fuel pressure ok 58lbs at key trn. spark is not there when it wont start , then just like that has spark and fires up. runs fine once started.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I may be wrong, but I don't think the cam sensor will stop it from having spark. The crank sensor would be a more likely suspect.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I forgot to plug in the crank positon sensor when I built my moter and had NO spark. Easy one to change its right behind the starter.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

CKP and/or CMP sensors.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Restricted User

it may be that damned code key not communicating with your computer. did you do the resistor mod? it will save your *** one day. i'm speaking from experience.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Default Still intermitant starting..

Originally Posted by joecar
CKP and/or CMP sensors.
Replaced CKP today.. NO GO. I may pull the intake tommorrow for the CMP. Could it be a VATS or resistor key issue if ive never seen the security light lit?. Should next step be CMP? FYI.. it started consistantly a few times just last night while troubleshooting. then today only once or twice all day after my CKP replacement.

Last edited by Yank423; 04-05-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Default Still intermitant starting..

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
I may be wrong, but I don't think the cam sensor will stop it from having spark. The crank sensor would be a more likely suspect.
Replaced CKP today.. NO GO. I may pull the intake tommorrow for the CMP. Could it be a VATS or resistor key issue if ive never seen the security light lit?. Should next step be CMP? FYI.. it started consistantly a few times just last night while troubleshooting. then today only once or twice all day after my CKP replacement

Last edited by Yank423; 04-05-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Launching!

CPS malfunction will cause an incorrect (and eventually no) RPM reading on the tach will it not? The tach is reading when it does start no? That sounds high for fuel press too. (you gota doublepumper??) or u mean oil press?

I wouldnt even be looking there - id start with a new battery and then maybe a starter but what would cause you to even start there? Anyway, read the batt volt level w/a volt meter while ur cranking & if it dips 10v or below its dead! It aint gonna spin the crank fast enough to turn over. If the batterys good then maybe the starter. If ur lights dim when the car does run or the batt level goes down quickly then maybe ur alternator does not provide full charge, do u have a pulley kit? Maybe the alts bad? Any of these areas are where ID start. Have u checked the starter relay - mines gone bad before. Id look at a fuse box before any sensors myself.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
CPS malfunction will cause an incorrect (and eventually no) RPM reading on the tach will it not? The tach is reading when it does start no? That sounds high for fuel press too. (you gota doublepumper??) or u mean oil press?

I wouldnt even be looking there - id start with a new battery and then maybe a starter but what would cause you to even start there? Anyway, read the batt volt level w/a volt meter while ur cranking & if it dips 10v or below its dead! It aint gonna spin the crank fast enough to turn over. If the batterys good then maybe the starter. If ur lights dim when the car does run or the batt level goes down quickly then maybe ur alternator does not provide full charge, do u have a pulley kit? Maybe the alts bad? Any of these areas are where ID start. Have u checked the starter relay - mines gone bad before. Id look at a fuse box before any sensors myself.
Yes it has accurate rpm while running , fuel pressure is indeed normal @ 58lbs. Im quite sure the problem is not the battery or alt.. but thank you for your input.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Yank423
Yes it has accurate rpm while running , fuel pressure is indeed normal @ 58lbs. Im quite sure the problem is not the battery or alt.. but thank you for your input.
test the coil packs then i guess?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam sensor is used for injector pulse timing and has absolutely no effect on spark. The car will run with the cam sensor unplugged. I've seen a few people have trouble with the connector on the crank sensor causing intermittent loss of spark. Inspect the plug closely for corrosion on the terminals.

Quick Reply: Bad Cam position sensor????