Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth. Inj.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meth. Inj.

Alright i am thinking of getting a meth kit for my NEW LSX 451 Procharger build. I have never used a meth kit and have heard of a few bad things that could happen to your engine. Could someone explain the advantages of the meth.? I know it's going to cool the IAT's thus you could advance your timing and gain more hp, correct? At the same time IF you run out of meth or the pump EVER quit working you could do some damage, correct? Is there a way to put the spray nozzle in front of the MAF sensor so it corrects for the IAT's? Any input on the meth would be great.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meth cools the air charge and lowers IATs, it also acts as an octane booster which will allow you to advance timing etc. 93 + 100% meth is ~ 116 octane. Parts failing is just part of the game, most kits come with LED's that let you know if the pump is on or not, if that LED goes out, let out of it. You could have the nozzle in front of the MAF to let it correct for IAT's, but the additional timing you can have because of meth isn't based on IAT's alone.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

ive heard of a lot of advantages of meth... and downsides to it?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Run out = byebye motor
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, would you run it with a 451 LSX and a procharger D1 or F1 to keep the IAT down if you had the choice? How much more power can you get out of it?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sujomatt
Run out = byebye motor
exactly. i would never run meth without a good failsafe system. meth is great but when you run out your tune will cause serious damage
Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tune it without the meth. You don't get the full advantage of added timing but you do get the cooling which is a good thing.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
Alright, would you run it with a 451 LSX and a procharger D1 or F1 to keep the IAT down if you had the choice? How much more power can you get out of it?
ive heard of people picking up 50+ hp from running meth by being able to run a better tune and more boost.

Meth injection (from what ive been reading) is fairly safe and there are ways to set it up so that if yo run our or your pump quits some type of indicator will let you know. Its no worse than the pos oil pumps failing randomly on the highway.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Trust and BadgeZ28 both have the right ideas. Meth serves as a secondary intercooler for intake charges, and for some it serves as their primary intercooler. And as mentioned is also serves as another octane source. This not only gives you a better knock cushion but extends the duty cycle of your injectors if tuned properly. The reason people are turned off from it is the fear of it running out. To combat this most people place the nozzle before the IAT sensor. Should the meth run out your pcm will recognize the sharp increase in inlet temps and adjust timing to save your engine. Most kits do come with some sort of safety net like letting you know you are running low with a level sensor. I was also told by Jose at Alkycontrol that you do not want to tune your car based off of the meth injecton, but instead use it only as a secondary source.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Trust and BadgeZ28 both have the right ideas. Meth serves as a secondary intercooler for intake charges, and for some it serves as their primary intercooler. And as mentioned is also serves as another octane source. This not only gives you a better knock cushion but extends the duty cycle of your injectors if tuned properly. The reason people are turned off from it is the fear of it running out. To combat this most people place the nozzle before the IAT sensor. Should the meth run out your pcm will recognize the sharp increase in inlet temps and adjust timing to save your engine. Most kits do come with some sort of safety net like letting you know you are running low with a level sensor. I was also told by Jose at Alkycontrol that you do not want to tune your car based off of the meth injecton, but instead use it only as a secondary source.
defiantely want to tune w/o meth. that way if it runs out your still safe. That's what were doing with mine.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

meth injection is great It can be tuned any way u want for more power / for more safety/ for both. I run my alkycontrol meth system to the limit i love to push the limits.
Yes if used incorrectly it can damage the engine. no greater danger then a fuel pump or a oil pump breaking. I think people worry about meth injection kit because there a lot of cheap kits out there for one and people not knowing what there doing.

I almost blew my motor with my meth kit ( but it was all my fault ) i tuned my car to run max timing with full meth and i pulled alot of fuel out of the tune so i could run alot (35%fuel)of meth and timing to make alot more power. So 15psi of boost /lots of timing/stock shortblock/ In my testing of the car one day i turned off my meth kit. forgot to turn it back on. next day I go out for a drive getting on highway step on gas. In half a second i knew something was wrong let off instant. looked at wideband saw it was lean, knew i was a idiot turn meth back on.drove home pulled plugs and scoped bores motor was fine but if i stayed on the gas for a second longer it would have be gone. i saw little alum pitting on plugs. so if you know your car even if some thing breaks if your on it there time to save it

I forget how much meth is though my kit but its over 150 gals and is spraying when ever im not idling or cruising. I have never had a issues that wasnt my fault.

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 04-10-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

as mentioned before... "IF" you know how to tune for meth there are ZERO worries... Several of us have had pump failures and such over the years, but the ECM will see the IAT's raise in a nano second, and "IF" set up, and tuned properly, the timing will be pulled, and the safety net is deployed... It all comes down to the tune... You'll see a lot of "haters", but that's only because of stories they've heard/read, or because of experiences they had because of an inferior tune... it's that simple... find a tuner that knows what he's doing and ENJOY!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'm thinking of using a meth kit just to compensate for when we have our short summer. I live in the northwest where it only warms up into 80's-90's for about 2 months the rest of the time it's pretty mild. For example my car was tuned when it was 45 outside.

Does meth add power or is it all in the ability to tune.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

It's all in the tune. If you want to risk it you can add timing due to the cooler charge and increased octane.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO, unless it's a dedicated track car, you should tune it w/o meth. That way if you run out your safe. If it's a drag car, tune it for the meth to get the max out of it and shame on you if you don't fill your resevoir prior to each pass .
Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

so my car is tuned in 2 bar and i dont have any meth... can i add an alky control kit and leave the current tune?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by extremetoy
so my car is tuned in 2 bar and i dont have any meth... can i add an alky control kit and leave the current tune?
yes, but you can get more out of it with a tune
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by extremetoy
To add a little more to above yes and it can also save you if u get a batch of crappy gas If you cant buy from the same gas station all the time.

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 07-05-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

If you just add a meth kit and dont tune for it wouldnt you be running really really rich?
Im interested in it too but i was going to go back for a tune after the install.

I was thinking the exact same thing,put it before your iat sensor and you should never have to worry about it blowing you motor if you run out or the pump craps out.

Alex
Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

There is a lot of variables when it comes to what size nozzles you run. unfortunatly many people have the if a little is good more is better frame of mind. And just shove the largest nozzles they can get and pull fuel to make it work. Imo the best thing to do with these is inject just enought to remove the heat out of the intake air temps, without having to remove loads of fuel. This way if your alky kit has issues you don't toast your motor. But yes you can make more power with a meth kit buy running straight meth and replaces larges amount of fluid. Just how i perferr to tune things.

Going off the mods in your sig i would start off with 17gph of nozzle size. Its going to take 2 nozzles. 500hp is where you pretty much max out a 14 gph which is pretty the largest they come. Putting it infront of your ait, you can then retune your tables to add timing/remove timing depending on temps. What keeps you from blowing your motor is using wise decesssions when picking nozzle sizes etc.

Quick Reply: Meth. Inj.