Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls7 lifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls7 lifter problem

installed a new cam a few months back and recently started getting some ticking noises to go with the sewing machine sound lol..
So i checked my pushrod length and found i was .050 to long.
I installed the correct 7.350 rods and still had the damn noise..

Well today i broke down and pulled the heads and found 3 lifters that you could not move the plunger at all i actually mocked one up in the vice and had to crank with all my might and finally it moved but seriously after it broke loose i could push it in with my finger, So im thinking maybe i damaged the lifters by having to much preload?

I was at .120 and now at .070 any thoughts? never seen a lifter get stuck up like that

Last edited by y2kc5; 04-18-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

well from what i gather the sewing machine is normal as i have xer lobes and i wasnt relly concerned til I started getting a ticking noise with it.. As far as the lifters go i didnt realize the plunger is up .050 farther on the ls7 lifter over the ls1 stockers... I knew something was up with the lifters and i assume from to much preload
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Launching!

so 2 run ls7 lifters in an ls1 u need 7.350 pushrods?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

i would measure and not just asume you need 7.4 thats what i did and was wrong the ls7 lifter is not the same as an ls1 lifter
Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody from texas speed like to address this delima a few guys are having?
I personally just got my Torquer cam from them with LS7 lifters and 7.4 length pushrods, So, I'm curious to this as well.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by 2002 SS HUGG
Anybody from texas speed like to address this delima a few guys are having?
What dilemma?

You should always re-measure preload properly with a pushrod length checker or dial indicator with an approximate length pushrod as a starting point when changing lifters/heads/cam/blocks/valves/rockers/etc. That responsibility lies with the end installer, you can't add or subtract a few numbers to determine ideal length, it needs to be physically checked on each setup (intake and exhaust on each bank) and it's quite easy. I check pushrod length on 3-4 engines a week.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

I wanted to know if anyone had seen a lifters plunger lock up like that? actually 3 of them.. And yes i should have measured but i was told this is what i needed weve done hundreds of them lol live and learn..
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 67rsss
So what is you opinion on the 115 mil preload I have as opposed to 80 mils? Should I swap for 7.350 (65mil pre-load) or even 7.325 (40mil preload)? Will this longer pushrod we have now cause any problems? Everyone says the loud sewing machine noise is normal, so we may have to get used to that, but I don't want to damage anything... Oh, and we are running the Penzoil Platinum 5W30.
I think .115" is too much. I usually try for .050-.085" in the typical street engine, and have run as little as .010" in some of the race stuff. Some vendors have increments of .025" also if that gets you where you want to be.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Hmmm, maybe contamination clogging them? Did anything come out other than clean oil? Perhaps they didn't get cleaned well, or there was something in the oil that clogged them up? I seriously doubt they rusted!
I have seen coolant contaminate the oil and stick lifters, but not really what you are describing, it would be all of them for coolant I believe.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

They came out clean no rust or anything Im thinking maybe some crap blocked the oil hole and im sure the .120 preload wasnt making them very happy either with the 7.4 rods it was actually hanging the valves open.. I will get it back together tmrw
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2kc5
So im thinking maybe i damaged the lifters by having to much preload?

Or it could be the fact that the LS7 lifter wasnt made for dual springs and aggresive lobes. Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

Yes they are, but my builder see those lifters after they have 15k on them and thinks differently. I offer advice because information is presented to me from someone I trust, and a search will show that a LOT of people trust.

Now don't get this wrong I'm not saying the LS7 will fail with dual springs and aggressive lobes. I'm saying that some combos beat the crap out of them and they might not be the best choice for longevity. Take it for what you want.

HKE tears them down on a daily basis and I get the reports so I know how to advise properly. If it were my car I would put a tremendous amount of thought into the valve-train. Calling actual builders who tear engines down and fix them would be a good way to see what really goes on internally with an engine.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-19-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Banned

Well actually it was Y2kc5'd thread and I was offering advice based on what he said not your situation (didnt even read your post to be honest) so yea you mis-read what I was saying.

I'm just trying to help the people who are going to read this thread and make a decision on what lifter to go with.

Not trying to be sarcastic at all just get people to open their eyes a little bit to the bigger picture. The whole combo needs to be well thought out.

Now as far as you making a post and getting the LS7 cheerleader crowd it's not surprising. How many of the people who actually posted up in your thread actually tear engines down and fix them? Had you called me I would have advised you differently but I cant be everywhere at the same time. 97% of the people on this board go with the LS7 for two reasons. Its cheap and it says LS7 so it must be good. They work good for the correct application just like any other part.

There is one true hi performance lifter that I trust but its mega expensive and is for a reason. Hi rpms and heavy pressures are the killer.

BUT not everyone who installs a aggressive cam drives it hard all the time so maybe they don't get the same rate of degradation to the lifter as someone who hammers it and shifts at hi rpms all the time. So not everyone will have trouble.
We build them to suite but most of our customers are looking for maximum power and are going to beat the crap out of it so we are usually prone to going the extra step with the setup.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-19-2009 at 12:17 PM.