Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

AUX-in for 99 Formula question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AUX-in for 99 Formula question

Will this work for my car?.. I know my car was build in late 98 ( has blue tint rearview)
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-336-9...t-adapter.aspx

I saw the mod some folks are doing and I dont feel like breaking my radio apart for fear of fuggin it up, plus the having CD bleed is not too appealing to me

thanks!
Chris
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

I guess I should be more clear in my questioning. From what I can tell the main issue with the radios (per the googling I've seen so far) is the ability to control a CD changer.. my car used to have a changer ( it's prewired and it was from the factory) So I am having a hard time telling if I need the GM9 or GM10. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PMD Power
I guess I should be more clear in my questioning. From what I can tell the main issue with the radios (per the googling I've seen so far) is the ability to control a CD changer.. my car used to have a changer ( it's prewired and it was from the factory) So I am having a hard time telling if I need the GM9 or GM10. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!
I just put a CD changer in mine this year. All F-bodies equipped with a Monsoon system have the factory wiring, whether they came with the changer or not.

I believe it is 9-pin, but I can't be absolutely sure until I'm home to look.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
I just put a CD changer in mine this year. All F-bodies equipped with a Monsoon system have the factory wiring, whether they came with the changer or not.

I believe it is 9-pin, but I can't be absolutely sure until I'm home to look.
Cool.. if it is just a matter of counting the pin count on the CD changer plug I can do that. I just didn't want to buy one of these and have it not work.. is it safe to say that if one has a factory CD changer their radio will work with one of these? I have tried searching a bit but I've not found a definate answer.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool.. if it is just a matter of counting the pin count on the CD changer plug I can do that. I just didn't want to buy one of these and have it not work.. is it safe to say that if one has a factory CD changer their radio will work with one of these? I have tried searching a bit but I've not found a definate answer.
Yeah, my 2000 T/A did not come factory with a CD changer. When I decided to buy my CD changer, the car was in storage and I had no access to it. I tried several searches and phone calls to find out if it was 9 or 10 pin. To make a longer story long, I never did get a straight answer. And now that you're picking my brain, I can't remember.

But, just count the number of pins on your CD chager wiring. That'll tell you. And I've never seen this product before. I may even get one myself.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

I'll see which I have an report back with whether it works or not.. it's a $70 gamble but it is better (to me) than cracking open my headunit :o
Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All F-bodies equipped with a Monsoon system have the factory wiring, whether they came with the changer or not.
This is not true. Not all HUs can control a cd changer, although they all have the port.

From the sticky:

Adding an auxiliary input to the factory system involves using an adapter that only works on certain models. Even the adapter manufacturers aren't clear on which models will work so here is the rundown. Auxiliary adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit will only work with head units that are capable of controlling the factory external CD changer. Even though all models had the CD changer port not all models could control a changer - the port was also used for an external cassette player that was offered in some GM models but never in F-bodies. All cassette head units were capable of controlling the factory changer. Only late '99 and newer models of single CD head units could connect to the factory changer. There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit so you're best to go with 2000 or newer. '01 and '02 models had the added ability to control more than one external device so you could have both the changer and an auxiliary device attached - prior to that it was only one or the other. Auxiliary input adapters are made by PIE (Peripheral Interface Electronics), PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) and USA Spec. The PAC adapters require a factory changer to work even though you can't use the changer after installing the adapter so one of the other two products are probably a better choice. PIE and USA Spec also make iPod-specific adapters that allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel controls and also recharge the iPod battery.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
This is not true. Not all HUs can control a cd changer, although they all have the port.

From the sticky:
From what sticky?

I was under the impression that if your radio said "Monsoon" on it, it is able to control a changer, and that it was factory-wired. That was also from a sticky - read the first paragraph.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oops. Just found it in that same sticky.

And I read your post wrong. The factory wiring is there, but not all have control of the changer.

Sorry.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Okay I am little confused then.. I know my car is a early 99... but it's possible I have a late 99 radio?.. I mean it had a changer and it worked, so that means it can control it right? Even still I've seen "There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit" but it doesn't say what the identifying factor is.. is there a build date on it or something along those lines? I really want an AUX in for the drive up to the TA Nationals in August.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay I am little confused then.. I know my car is a early 99... but it's possible I have a late 99 radio?.. I mean it had a changer and it worked, so that means it can control it right? Even still I've seen "There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit" but it doesn't say what the identifying factor is.. is there a build date on it or something along those lines? I really want an AUX in for the drive up to the TA Nationals in August.
If it worked with a CD changer before, it'll work now.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

If it worked with a CD changer before, it'll work now.
That was my thinking.. but then I saw all of these people saying it may not, etc.. I'll count my pin-out on the radio and order accordingly, once I have it hooked up I'll post up with whether it works or not lol
Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

if a radio can control a cd changer, the adapter will work.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

well sonuva bitch.... I took the radio out to count the pins and I figured why not pop it open and see if it had the "A" on the CD drive.. well it doesn't matter anymore because now it wont turn on .. lights up and tells the time.. that's it..

So I guess I will go aftermarket or try and find a newer OEM HU :-/
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

I just took my radio apart today also (to tune-o-wash the volume **** and swab the CD player lense) and I plugged the radio back in to test it with out mounting the faceplate back on and I got the same results you are describing.

Then I noticed there are pins on the back of the faceplate that connect into the main board. So I put the faceplate back on turned the ignition back on and it worked just fine... Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well sonuva bitch.... I took the radio out to count the pins and I figured why not pop it open and see if it had the "A" on the CD drive.. well it doesn't matter anymore because now it wont turn on .. lights up and tells the time.. that's it..

So I guess I will go aftermarket or try and find a newer OEM HU :-/
TheftLock??
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

I actually had the issue Koran was talking about... seems I managed to bend a pin on the faceplate :doh:

It's now working and it does *not* have the "A" onthe CD Drive.. which is allegedly saying it cannot control the CD changer..

.. On to the gamble I suppose now, although the tmeptation of a new HU has been dropped in my mind I my surpass this whole thing afterall lol
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

But if you said it controlled a changer before, why wouldn't it now?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure I'll still give it a shot, I am going to price shop today and see how much I can find the PIE GM9.. if it doesn't work I'll return or sell it to my mother.. she has a 01 WS6 heh...
Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Just ordered one on Amazon for 60 bucks... will update once it arrives