Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much play in between cam journal and New cam bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Too much play in between cam journal and New cam bearings??

I got a new set of cam bearings to install and when I test fitted the bearings (yes the corresponding numbers) on the cam journals there was alot of slop, should it be tight? or be able to move the bearing side to side, either up and down or like shaking a paint can. It was the same with the old bearings too, does this sound like too much or does the oil take up that much gap around the cam bearing journals when it gets oil pressure?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

A tool is required for installationand removal of cam bearings. If they slide right out and go right in by hand something is up.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1, If you could pull them out by hand you have some strong fingers.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say that you have a new style block, and are trying to install the earlier cam bearings into it.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you test-fitting the new bearings to the cam, or to the block?

The other posters covered the block side of things, and if you're trying to measure clearance between the cam surfaces and the bearings themselves you'll need a micrometer as well as an inside micrometer to get any useful information.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam bearings hast to be installed to check the clearance , because of the crush factor or press fit to the block . Witch will draw the bearing tight to the cam it self.Then use a inside micrometer to check the I.D. of the bearing ,then check the O.D. of the cam jernal, Or measure the block with the old cam bearing removed and the O.D. of the new bearing and then calculate the difference
Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
The cam bearings hast to be installed to check the clearance , because of the crush factor or press fit to the block . Witch will draw the bearing tight to the cam it self.Then use a inside micrometer to check the I.D. of the bearing ,then check the O.D. of the cam jernal, Or measure the block with the old cam bearing removed and the O.D. of the new bearing and then calculate the difference
Very true...never even thought of the crush factor...

Good tips....I'll deff keep them in mind, now that I changed the bearings I'm just going to put the cam in one or two bearings and lift it up and down to see if it still has that sloppyness like when the bearings were out of the block.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the old style SBC blocks each bearing is a different size, The cam bearing are smaller as they go toward the rear. Each bearing hast to be matched to it appropriate journal, But I'm not shore on the LS1 style blocks. If you only put the cam in one or two journals the cam will be loose but will tighten up and the cam goes threw the block to match the bearing to it cam journal.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Yea, that's right. I had slid different bearings over the different journals of the cam but they all felt the same....but they were numbered so I put them in the order anyway. Although the same bearing was for 1,5...2,4 and 3 was alone....so it doesn't seem like there's a taper if 1 and 5 or 2 and 4 are the same.