Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Damn Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Clutch!

Well I'm going to vent, so I just started my car up the other day. Well it took a couple pumps of the clutch pedal to actually get it into gear for the first time. No big deal, or so I thought. The next night I take it out for a good drive to get rid of last years fuel out of the tank. Ran great, no problems whatsoever.

This afternoon, I jump in and it takes for ever to get the damn car in gear...
well long story short... after a pain in the ***, I bled the clutch.

Well here is the result, I can now get it into gear, however, the clutch engages completely ON/OFF right at the base of pedal travel. At which point it surges and takes off... when you push in the clutch it stays in gear. I either have to shut the car off or push the brakes and stall the car because you can't disengage or pull the tranny out of gear.

I'm thinking this is all hydraulic since, when the car is parked and turned off I can still slide it into gear easily. Should I continue to bleed in vein or should I be looking at something else?

thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the master **** the bed?
Call or pm tick...Joey is a great guy!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I'm going to try another bleed today, if that does nothing which I expect it won't... I guess the next step is do exactly that... I was thinking a tick master cylinder is an order...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like a hydraulic problem.

Was you master fluid reservoir low on fluid ?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bearcatt
It sounds like a hydraulic problem.

Was you master fluid reservoir low on fluid ?

no full... but black
Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bouvs
no full... but black

It sounds like you have air in the system. Why not try bleeding the hydraulics with fresh fluid before pulling everything apart ?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have the stock master? Has the car been sitting for a while? Is this a new clutch? Get that black **** outta there. If it has been sitting was it black before you parked it? I am guessing it was ok, and then all of a sudden this?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I bled it twice... nothing... still works like ****.

1/2 the time if its been sitting and I come back to it it works for a few seconds and then its **** again within a few minutes of driving.

bleeding almost seems to do nothing at all. The fluid is now quite clear. The only thing I can come up with is that right at the end of last season I did a 1 minute burnout in second gear. It drove fine from there to my garage, but then last fall I was working in the garage and pulled the car in and out a few times. When I did that the clutch was acting up a bit, it wouldn't go in gear but once I had it in it was fine.

As I said before this spring I started it up and drove it around town for about 4 hours one night with a few occasional breaks inbetween and it worked fine... not a single issue at all. Then the next day right away it was fucked up, wouldn't even go in gear. Wasn't like I was bagging on it either because I still had old fuel in the tank.

I almost seems speratic which you would think is air in the system... but couldn't that also be linked to a faulty master cylinder? I drove the car for a while after the last time I bled it and this is my conclusion.

It takes a few tries to get it in gear because the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Once you get it in gear and continue to hold the clutch down it will slowly start to engage. If you lift the pedal more then 1/2 an inch from the floor it dumps the clutch and surges. Sometimes it stall which makes me look like a douche bag. Then if you push the pedal to floor it won't disengage and will continue to drive. I assume this is only partially disengaging the clutch and probably really hard on it. As its probably riding the clutch.

My conclusion the master cylinder is faulty and leading to improper use of the clutch by not allowing to function to its full travel. I'm going to order a Tick Adj. Master Cylinder. As thats basically the next step anyway.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

That should take care of hopefully. Let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: Damn Clutch!