LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Walk me through adjusting my TB (monoblade)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Walk me through adjusting my TB (monoblade)

I just fired up my TA last night for the first time since I built the LE2 355 with a bunch of other goodies. It wouldn't stay running unless I feathered the gas pedal to keep the idle up. Can someone either walk me through what needs to be done to get it to run by itself? I know a few things to try but I don't know if there's a specific order in which to try them like the little screw that will open the throttle body blade (monoblade) but then what? Thanks guys I'm hoping to have everything finished up and driving the car by the end of the weekend so I'm trying to do as much as I can during the week.

Zach
Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by za355tx
I just fired up my TA last night for the first time since I built the LE2 355 with a bunch of other goodies. It wouldn't stay running unless I feathered the gas pedal to keep the idle up. Can someone either walk me through what needs to be done to get it to run by itself? I know a few things to try but I don't know if there's a specific order in which to try them like the little screw that will open the throttle body blade (monoblade) but then what? Thanks guys I'm hoping to have everything finished up and driving the car by the end of the weekend so I'm trying to do as much as I can during the week.

Zach
I have no experience with a monoblade TB, but if it has an IAC in it, you shouldn't be adjusting the TB manually at all. You need to have it tuned to stay on. You could adjust the TB blade stop screw temporarily to keep it alive.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I did adjust the screw some to keep it running but I don't know what is supposed to be done to keep it running without adjusting the screw? I've heard people talk about the IAC drill mod but I don't really know what that consists of and I've also heard of people adjusting the IAC. Another thing I've never done.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok I did adjust the screw some to keep it running but I don't know what is supposed to be done to keep it running without adjusting the screw? I've heard people talk about the IAC drill mod but I don't really know what that consists of and I've also heard of people adjusting the IAC. Another thing I've never done.
Simple, you need a tune...
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tune should take care of the idle
Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll need a tune first + you'll need to set up the idle on the throttle body. You need to make sure TPS is in an appropriate range and also that the IAC is in a range where it can catch and hold the idle.

http://www.pcmforless.com/images/dat...m#Idle%20Setup
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

The car is running a pcmforless tune guys.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

The car is running a pcmforless tune guys.
You need to have it updated for the monoblade TB if you haven't already.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I listed every single mod I could think of when I had Bryan tune it. It was tuned for the monoblade. No doubt about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I listed every single mod I could think of when I had Bryan tune it. It was tuned for the monoblade. No doubt about it.
Hmmm, you should hook up a scanner to see what your IAC and TPS show when it tried to idle and what it shows when you get it to idle with the blade open slightly.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I kind of expected to have some issues because of the monoblade and the cam size and what not. So at least I knew what I was getting into. I know the datamaster would help so I may look into that. I know about the drill mod but I really don't want to drill into my TB.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Give Bryan a call and see what he says. Might have to adjust the TPS. Id make sure your IAC and TPS are within range(voltage check)
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I kind of expected to have some issues because of the monoblade and the cam size and what not. So at least I knew what I was getting into. I know the datamaster would help so I may look into that. I know about the drill mod but I really don't want to drill into my TB.
No, don't go drilling or modding anything, your idle is computer controlled via the IAC. Something is wrong with the tune or the IAC. If you drill a hole and later fix the problem, you're going to have a high idle issue.

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Give Bryan a call and see what he says. Might have to adjust the TPS. Id make sure your IAC and TPS are within range(voltage check)
Yes, contact your tuner and see what he says, also check the sensors.
Also it wouldn't hurt to check for vacuum leaks.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't do the drill mod. You don't have to on these TB's.

Did you get instructions with the monoblade? I have one and they say to elongate the TPS mounting holes and rotate it until you get a certain voltage. I would do that because a sensor is cheap to replace if something happens. Also they tell you how to reset the IAC so it's back to zero. If you want more info on this I can read off the instructions.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ralls
Don't do the drill mod. You don't have to on these TB's.

Did you get instructions with the monoblade? I have one and they say to elongate the TPS mounting holes and rotate it until you get a certain voltage. I would do that because a sensor is cheap to replace if something happens. Also they tell you how to reset the IAC so it's back to zero. If you want more info on this I can read off the instructions.
Definitely was not going to drill into this thing. I'd swap to a 58mm before I did that. Man that'd be great if you could send me what it says I don't think I got anything from AZ speed. Just a receipt. My father was saying the same thing about the TPS mounting holes.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the IAC, adjust the idle screw until 30-40 counts (shows you on a scanner) at idle. If you need to reset it, press the gas pedal slightly, start and run the engine for 5 seconds, then ignition off for 10 seconds.

It says to check voltage at terminals A and B and rotate the TPS until about 0.54volts.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I have no experience with a monoblade TB, but if it has an IAC in it, you shouldn't be adjusting the TB manually at all. You need to have it tuned to stay on. You could adjust the TB blade stop screw temporarily to keep it alive.
Ok I got off the phone with Bryan at pcmforless and he told me that with the size cam I'm running I will have to manually adjust it. Because it's a bigger cam he said that the motor will need alot more air to hold idle. So basically he told me to adjust the throttle screw and then make sure the TPS and IAC are where they need to be. The other option is drilling a hole in the blade but I refuse to do that. He said that the tune itself will not keep the car running if there's not enough air getting in.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the AS&M monoblade on my 355 L98. I have not had any problems with it. Idles just fine so there is hope for you.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have to move the throttle plate via the screw, wont hurt a thing. Just make sure you correct the tps voltage.

Also exhaust leaks and split blm's or blm's that are off will make it hard for the IAC motor to do its job.

Mine idles fine, yes it is cracked open with the screw.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You may have to move the throttle plate via the screw, wont hurt a thing. Just make sure you correct the tps voltage.

Also exhaust leaks and split blm's or blm's that are off will make it hard for the IAC motor to do its job.
Bingo, that's exactly what Bryan Herter said. There is a header leak on the #2 primary so that may be contributing some. What's blm?

Quick Reply: Walk me through adjusting my TB (monoblade)