Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between picking converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torn between picking converter

I've talked to yank, circle D, and FTI. They all answered my questions fully. Just can't decide which company to go with.

The thing I dont like about circle D is only there 2 year warranty, Customer Service was good but basically the same price as the other 2 companys with less warranty.

FTI had awesome customer service, explained things to the full extent. But the thing I dont like is there's not a whole lot of them running around to really see there results and durabilty.

Yanks results have been proven time and time again but I must've talked to him on a bad day he just rubbed off on my like he didn't need my sale. I have no doubt they have one of the best converters available but I want to make sure the company take care of me.

Is it suppose to be this hard or just F*cking choose one lol

Deciding on a 3600 or 4000. Im a 226/230 cam and plan on hitting with a 150-175 down the road. Full weight camaro with 3.73 the car does go on cruises and is some time daily driven in town.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look at an FTI and a Circle D they look almost identical. They are the same type (I guess you can say) as in they are the two that use solid clutches (no damper springs)
The only difference I am told is this
Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
As far as them looking the same I dont know.I do know that their piston is two pieces welded together and ours is one piece.
I have a Circle D, no complaints. If I had to get a converter for another vehicle I'd try FTI.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

I dont think you can wrong with any one of those companies.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Tough decision, I know. I think our converter results speak for them selves that we can "Move You." Customer service is very important to us. Our goal is to provide the best service and the best converter for a good price. We have been in business since 1976, my dad started it. Basically we will be here if you need us. I think our offer is very fair and it does include a free re-stall or cut and clean if your trans goes bad. And I have very fair prices on fixing my converters after they are out of warranty.

As far as the actual stall. I would lean towards the 3600 because of the spray and street manors. I think it fits your combination. I would suggest the Circle D 4C.

I would love to have your business and please call if you have any other questions.

713-895-8834

Chris
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you felt like that, but I was between UPS and another call but did not want to put you on hold.
Call me back if you like so I can work with you in more detail.
Dave
Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

How far are you out? If I order one how long is that wait?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
Sorry you felt like that, but I was between UPS and another call but did not want to put you on hold.
Call me back if you like so I can work with you in more detail.
Dave
Dave theres no problem. This wasn't today it was a few weeks ago. I know its a two guy operation and your busy. No hurt feelings. I just feel like a woman in a shoe store.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 355z28
How far are you out? If I order one how long is that wait?
PM Sent.

Chris
Old 05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I've dealt with Yank twice now and I am a happy customer. Dave has always taken time out to help me out alot in converter selection and has made things alot easier on me. It makes it hard for me to go anywhere else when I've had such great luck. I intially decided to go with Yank because they have proven themselves over and over and over and to me that is most important. I've talked to Chris at Circle D a couple times and he offers a great product and great customer service, I wouldn't hesistate to run one of his products. I have no experience with FTI but I have only heard good things so I am sure they offer an awesome product as well. Overall you really can't go wrong with any of the mentioned companies.

I think a 3600 range stall would be best, 4000 is really going to have a shift extension too high for you on the juice.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a Yank and a Vigilante they are both awesome. Just get a stall of 3,600 or more.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 355z28
Dave theres no problem. This wasn't today it was a few weeks ago. I know its a two guy operation and your busy. No hurt feelings. I just feel like a woman in a shoe store.
Yank has the largest number of styles and stall options in the LSx converter market place and I do know how hard it can be to pick the correct one.

Our current build time is about 3-5 days as all of our converters are built to order.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to place another vote for Yank as I honestly believe you must have just caught Dave on a very busy day.

The downside to being a one-man operation is that he can only do so many things at one time but the upside is that if you ever have a problem with the converter and do need to call, you'll be talking to the actual person who built your converter and not just some random person working the phones.

I've got a 2007 Corvette and in addition to being very happy with my SS3600, I've also referred several people to him all of which have come away very happy with their results. I also had help from Dave just the other day when I had a vibration as a result of a torque tube issue during an install. Although he wasn't able to help me out directly he did know someone to call that was eventually able to help me figure out my problem.

I'd suggest you give him another call before you end up making your final decision.

Christopher
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

im running a vigilante and very happy with them. but between the 2 companies i would have to say circle D. alot of people are running there converters.. look up a member "TXCAMSS"... 9's all motor with circle D converter and tranny.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

After talking with FTI, I decided to buy two convertors from him, as we are doing to 4l80e conversions. I was very impressed with the amount of questions asked before he could suggest a product. He explained everything very clearly and backed it up with some very good pricing. I also know a few guys around here running their convertors and they had very good things to say about them. I was told how long they would take to build and ship and they came in early
Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just ordered my FTI yesterday. Customer service was top notch. Hopefully the converter is too! They cut me a unbeatable deal on a converter/ flywheel package.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Theres always the question of actual converter design as well. Say like for a street car you may prefer a spring dampened clutch. You're not going to get that from some sponsors because they don't offer it.
Non dampened clutches make everything from the engine to the rear axles rattle if the lock up speed it 1 mph too low.

I've always wondered why they go with non dampened if you can't lock it under load anyway, my bet is simplicity and cost savings.

Whatever the case, thats what I have and learned to live with my passenger saying "what the hell was that"
That only happens when I use cruise control to get it to lock up in third when stuck in slow traffic.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

i might have to say go with circle d! I keep reading more and more on them and everyone seems to be really pleased
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got an FTI converter and the service + price was amazing
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

I am going auto soon so i have not bought a converter yet. When i do i am going to have Greg @ Fti to the trans, converter and get as much stuff from him as i can for a couple reasons. His customer service is awesome. Answeres everything above and beyond what expected, Very competitive pricing, and there are alot of very fast cars winning events with his converters.

Triy Williams Jr. 10,000 $ at Farmington
Frank Altillio Top Dragster in Virginia
Matt Buck Top Sportsman in Virginia
(from the weekend)

it seems like down south, lots of people run FTI. He is just newer to tech.

Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

well I understand the difficulty in picking a converter company. Its like picking a girlfreind. You want one built solid that wont give you any greif and will stick around forever. LOL As far as the solid dampner actualy it is more expensive to make as it is machined from a solid billet peice and then broached with a set of splines then the clutch is bonded. The ones that I have seeen using dampner springs are a factory piston from another converter machined to fit the billet cover and bonded with a new clutch. The material is thin on the piston and this causes clutch piston deflection when the clutch applies. I have fixed a many of these by replacing their piston with a solid one and poof there problems are gone. Also I have seen the dampner springs break as well. Truth is we are trying to build you the customer the highest quality converter available not the cheapest.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Quick Reply: Torn between picking converter