General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Pressure Sending Unit - What does this controll

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sending Unit - What does this controll

We'll i was told that this unit only Controlls the Gauge On Odometor ! For oil pressure.

If this is true i will not replace ill put a External gauge, But my car's been runnign like **** and im think this controls my actually oil pressure sent to engine.? if so i will need to replace ...

Can some one help me and tell me what it controlls/
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I primarily sends a signal to the PCM to monitor your oil pressure. Your oil pressure is driven mechanically off the crank so there is no electronic control to decide what your oil pressure it going to be. If it is broken your oil pressure in the motor is still the same regardless of the state of the sensor. Your going to get SES lights from it, I'd just replace the sensor and be done with it and not have to go wiring another gauge up.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 AM

So basicly? it doesnt bother the performance , see im trying to figure out whether this is my lack of performance issue ? Or is it coming from something else.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

No it is not causing your performance issues unless your pump is shot and your not noticing it bc your gauge is not working you would really notice that though.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

No, just a monitor. However, you always want this module to be working perfectly!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM

yeah i know but dealer wanted 800.00 im got a guy that will do it for about 400. becuase they have to remove intake to get to it, i was told.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 PM

so what is this issue comeing from this is my 3rd post about this problem?, I busted my oil pan driving, Car shut down becuase of a sensor picked it up i guess. and now i put a new oil pan and i feel a large loss of power. Code came up for TPS PO122 And i replace it ? still didn't fix it.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00PontiacTA
yeah i know but dealer wanted 800.00 im got a guy that will do it for about 400. becuase they have to remove intake to get to it, i was told.
WOW! $400!!??

I just swapped in my ported FAST 92, and found out on the way to my tuner's shop that my unit was having problems. I made sure not no break it off, but I may have cracked the housing or something. He charged me and hours labor, $85 plus the $47 for the sensor, to remove my intake and replace the unit.

I'd call around to some shops, it should only take a skilled shop 1 1/2hrs for an intake removal, 2hrs at the most.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00PontiacTA
so what is this issue comeing from this is my 3rd post about this problem?, I busted my oil pan driving, Car shut down becuase of a sensor picked it up i guess. and now i put a new oil pan and i feel a large loss of power. Code came up for TPS PO122 And i replace it ? still didn't fix it.

No sensors on the car will shut the car down, thats unsafe since we have power steering and would be a lawsuit for GM. You probably damaged something internal (depending on what you hit) or it destroyed another sensor. I have a bad feeling you bent up something in the block if you hit hard enough to break the sending unit on the top of the motor.