General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what oil with cammed ls1??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what oil with cammed ls1??

all my motors life (for all 12k of it) I have ran Mobil 1 10w30 and now since I have my MS3 installed with ported LS6 oil pump and upgraded valve train, what motor oil weight would you guys recommend?? I dont beat the **** out of my car, but I do some very spirited runs very often
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

changing to another oil will do nothing more or less for your engine.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
changing to another oil will do nothing more or less for your engine.
I know this

its simply for reliability in the long run.

im just wondering if I went with a thicker oil if it would help prevent wear and tear better then the 10w30 im using now.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with a 5w-30 other than mobil-1. just make sure to change it every 2500-3000 miles and you should be good. i may use the pennzoil full synthetic next oil change. right now i have castrol syntec in it. from what ive read mobil-1 isnt that good.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

GC 0W30
This oil has great start up protection ( were most ware happens ) and continues to protect like any other 30 weight at operating temp.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I know this

its simply for reliability in the long run.

im just wondering if I went with a thicker oil if it would help prevent wear and tear better then the 10w30 im using now.
Oh man, here we go.

Well, there's only one thing you can do, like I have with my STILL 100% perfectly running 427ci LS6 fully forged engine with 116,000 miles as of last week .......change your oil every 3,000 miles, PERIOD.

All the hype with bullshit synthetics and expensive aftermarket oils and these special super-duper oil filters, is just that...bullshit.

Also, letting oil stay in your engine for 5,000-7,000 miles, IN MY OPINION, is just about hilarious. Regardless of these oil analysis people have done You can listen to everyone and all the write-ups about oils lasting for 7,000 miles with no problem, but the fact is oil gets contaminated the second you start your engine with new oil in it and it just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier till you change it. It gets contaminated with toxic gases as well as particles of metal and other debris that the engine gives off.

If I were you I would use 20w50. Regular oil, GTX Castrol. Purolater of AC Delco filters. At each oil change use a can of engine flush for 5 minutes before you drain the old oil. Engine flush is key.

Now get ready for 10 pages of fighting and people telling you how they change it every 7,000 miles. These will be the same people back here asking what that ticking noise is after 30,000, or why does my oil pressure drop so low after warm-up with just 60,000 miles (mine is 58psi at start-up and will never ever drop below 40psi, unless its literally a 95* day, in heavy traffic, with my A/C blasting for 1 hour), or why did I spin a bearing man?

Oil is one of those things that is "to-each-his-own". But I know what works and gets my BUILT STROKER engines as well as ALL my cars over the past 25 years, well past 100,000 every time, without any issues at all. Unlike anyone else I know with a fully built badass engine.

Last edited by LS6427; 05-07-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

all my motors life (for all 12k of it) I have ran Mobil 1 10w30 and now since I have my MS3 installed with ported LS6 oil pump and upgraded valve train, what motor oil weight would you guys recommend?? I dont beat the **** out of my car, but I do some very spirited runs very often
I know its a different type of engine, but it still needs oil for lubrication.

This is JUST an example of how always having clean/new oil lubricating an engine as compared to the same exact engine that only does oil changes at certain time intervals, has a different life-span.

CJ610 General Electric turbine engine. Its used on the Learjet 23/ 24 / 25 aircraft. They get oil changes at certain intervals as regular maintenance just like a car does. These same exact engines are used to pump oil through the Alaskan pipeline for thousands of miles. They are placed at different distances along the entire pipeline. These engines on the pipeline have a constant flow of new oil through them. They run, non-stop for up to 10 years as long as they don't show any warning lights. When used on the aircraft, they must be rebuilt every 5,000 hours per GE. So, with new oil going through them, they run for 10 years, which is 87,600 hours. Now, yes, its much more important to have an engine rebuilt when peoples lives are on the line, but that doesn't change the fact that they run for 10 years in Alaska. I have flown in and seen Lears go up to about 8,000 hours and the engines are so tired and worn out that you cannot get to altitude without compressor stalling them. So they do last longer in planes, beyond the 5,000 rebuild recomendation, but not much longer.

So, you tell me whats better. Changes every 3,000 or every 7,000. Its all about wear. If you can slow the wear process, you get longer life. Its simple. And that is the ONLY thing that determines how long an engine lives, the ONLY thing. ((Given that the engine is built properly of course))
Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Launching!

German Castrol 0W30 (HAS TO BE THE GERMAN/EUROPEAN FORMULA VERSION). Not sure how this oil is different to every other brand and type of oil out there and why only this specific type is so special but i constantly hear about it on this thread and other websites and car owners as well. I hear that in real world tests AND data lab tests it pretty much is the best or near the top in just about all categories.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

15w40 rotella
Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Default 99ssragtop

Listen to 99ssragtop hes a really smart man .
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the hype with bullshit synthetics and expensive aftermarket oils and these special super-duper oil filters, is just that...bullshit.
amen.

recommend: being in ny, if it's a summer car and isn't going to see a cold start under 50F then for wear protection run a 15w40. i prefer mobil delvac over chevron delo or rotella, only because it's cheaper. It all comes down to oil temperature! The smartest thing you could do is install an oil temperature gauge so you know what the oil temperature is when you do you're spirited driving, then you can properly choose an oil viscosity for that operating condition.

read here for common sense explanation

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...motor-oil.html

Last edited by 1 FMF; 05-07-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
German Castrol 0W30 (HAS TO BE THE GERMAN/EUROPEAN FORMULA VERSION). .
yeah, because it's like vince says, you know the germans make good stuff.

too bad they lost the ******* war

i am amazed at the amount of gullibility and people's false rationalizations these days.
Let me let everyone in on something: people lie. They will call it marketing, but i call it lies.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Oh man, here we go.

Well, there's only one thing you can do, like I have with my STILL 100% perfectly running 427ci LS6 fully forged engine with 116,000 miles as of last week .......change your oil every 3,000 miles, PERIOD.

Also, letting oil stay in your engine for 5,000-7,000 miles, IN MY OPINION, is just about hilarious. Regardless of these oil analysis people have done You can listen to everyone and all the write-ups about oils lasting for 7,000 miles with no problem, but the fact is oil gets contaminated the second you start your engine with new oil in it and it just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier till you change it. It gets contaminated with toxic gases as well as particles of metal and other debris that the engine gives off.

If I were you I would use 20w50. Regular oil, GTX Castrol. Purolater of AC Delco filters. At each oil change use a can of engine flush for 5 minutes before you drain the old oil. Engine flush is key.

Now get ready for 10 pages of fighting and people telling you how they change it every 7,000 miles. These will be the same people back here asking what that ticking noise is after 30,000, or why does my oil pressure drop so low after warm-up with just 60,000 miles (mine is 58psi at start-up and will never ever drop below 40psi, unless its literally a 95* day, in heavy traffic, with my A/C blasting for 1 hour), or why did I spin a bearing man?

Oil is one of those things that is "to-each-his-own". But I know what works and gets my BUILT STROKER engines as well as ALL my cars over the past 25 years, well past 100,000 every time, without any issues at all. Unlike anyone else I know with a fully built badass engine.

thanks...but I have always changed my Mobil 1 at 3k...sometimes even around 2500. People called me crazy and im "throwing away my money" but im the owner of the car...they arent

I am fully aware what oils can do etc...I took auto tech for 3 years so I kind of know my ****...Im just trying to see what motor oil weight others are using.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

I know its a different type of engine, but it still needs oil for lubrication.

This is JUST an example of how always having clean/new oil lubricating an engine as compared to the same exact engine that only does oil changes at certain time intervals, has a different life-span.

CJ610 General Electric turbine engine. Its used on the Learjet 23/ 24 / 25 aircraft. They get oil changes at certain intervals as regular maintenance just like a car does. These same exact engines are used to pump oil through the Alaskan pipeline for thousands of miles. They are placed at different distances along the entire pipeline. These engines on the pipeline have a constant flow of new oil through them. They run, non-stop for up to 10 years as long as they don't show any warning lights. When used on the aircraft, they must be rebuilt every 5,000 hours per GE. So, with new oil going through them, they run for 10 years, which is 87,600 hours. Now, yes, its much more important to have an engine rebuilt when peoples lives are on the line, but that doesn't change the fact that they run for 10 years in Alaska. I have flown in and seen Lears go up to about 8,000 hours and the engines are so tired and worn out that you cannot get to altitude without compressor stalling them. So they do last longer in planes, beyond the 5,000 rebuild recomendation, but not much longer.

So, you tell me whats better. Changes every 3,000 or every 7,000. Its all about wear. If you can slow the wear process, you get longer life. Its simple. And that is the ONLY thing that determines how long an engine lives, the ONLY thing. ((Given that the engine is built properly of course))
very well worded...thanks. Makes alot of sence.

my motor is a brand new crate LS1 long block from GM....professionally installed at a GM dealer...then my cam/valvetrain etc was installed by sickspeedperformance.com whose a very good mechanic and was also dyno tuned the day after the cam install so I havent cheaped out on anything so its done right
Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
yeah, because it's like vince says, you know the germans make good stuff.

too bad they lost the ******* war

i am amazed at the amount of gullibility and people's false rationalizations these days.
Let me let everyone in on something: people lie. They will call it marketing, but i call it lies.
I didnt mean its better cause its german, try reading my post again, i said im not sure why this oil is so good and why it has to be that specific kind (german/european formula), but i heard tons of good about it in real world tests and data lab tests and tons of people keep talkin bout this oil, even other car owners.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

I am fully aware what oils can do etc...I took auto tech for 3 years so I kind of know my ****...Im just trying to see what motor oil weight others are using.
Its really not a matter of the weight. In my opinion, and with 20+ years of doing what I've been doing, short intervals between oil changes is what matters.....for long life.....and thats what you're main question is.

If 3 people with 3 identically built engines from the same builder use different oils...say 10w30, 10w40 and 20w50. All these engines will be protected just fine with all 3 oils. If one does changes at 3,000, one does them at 5,000 and the other at 8,000........the person that does changes at 3,000 will have the best reliability and longest life. I don't see how anyone can intelligently argue that point.

So the choice of oil is yours. I like 20w50 because it maintains higher oil pressure (its thicker then 30 and 40 weight oil) when hotter then the other weights, and it will break down less over time, so you will have better functioning oil till the next oil change.

Its just what I do
Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WARDOG
Listen to 99ssragtop hes a really smart man .
lol
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

I personally use German Castrol 0w30...I only drive the car maybe 5000 miles a year at most, and I change my oil at the beginning of May and at the end of October.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not going to disagree with out about which oils to use. Most off the shelf oils even the CHEAP ones have to meet an API spec and will be perfectly fine for a car that changes oil every 3-5k.

What I am going to disagree with you about is the fact used oil is dirtier then new oil. That is COMPLETELY false.

New oil will come in anywhere from a 22/20/18 ISO4406:99 cleanliness class which is DIRTY. Then your filter will clean up the oil after it has passed through several times. It "looks" dirtier due to the soot, but that soot is sub-micron and will not really cause that much wear.

What happens with used oil is the additives break down over time, that's where the problem is. As long as your filter isn't clogged and bypassing "dirt" wise your used oil will be cleaner then what you poured out of the jug.

There's a reason truck fleets go to extended intervals (15-30k). It's not because they are trying to save money on oil (longer lasting synthetic oils are more expensive anyways). It's because everytime you put new oil in the engine, there is a spike in engine wear until the filter cleans it up.

Quick Reply: what oil with cammed ls1??