LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with a Lt1 355 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a Lt1 355 build

My '96 Camaro has 170k miles on it and I've been autocross it every month for the past year and a half so I think it is time to rebuild the motor. I ordered a rebuild kit out of Summit with forged pistons. I also want to do some mods to it, but I'm not sure what to go with. My goal is at least 350hp.

Block bored to 355ci
Port and polished heads
Port and polished intake
Magnum roller rockers
Magnum pushrods
Beehive valve springs
Compcams 305 cam
BBk 58mm throttlebody
Pacesetter longtube headers
K&N Kit II CAI
ASP 2 piece underdrive pulley kit

Will this get me close to 350hp? Are there any better alternatives to the parts/brands I'm thinking of getting? Anything else I might need?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderboltZ28
My '96 Camaro has 170k miles on it and I've been autocross it every month for the past year and a half so I think it is time to rebuild the motor. I ordered a rebuild kit out of Summit with forged pistons. I also want to do some mods to it, but I'm not sure what to go with. My goal is at least 350hp.

Block bored to 355ci
Port and polished heads
Port and polished intake
Magnum roller rockers
Magnum pushrods
Beehive valve springs
Compcams 305 cam
BBk 58mm throttlebody
K&N Kit II CAI

Will this get me close to 350hp? Are there any better alternatives to the parts/brands I'm thinking of getting? Anything else I might need?
That should surpass your goal depending on the portwork and tune.
Two things I'd look into changing though, first is the pistons in the rebuild kit, I don't know about the quality of the pistons in that kit, I'd try to ensure the quality by getting some Mahle forged pistons.
Second thing I would do is to go a little larger on the cam. I'd look into getting Ai 226/234 cam w/ their ported heads.
I'd also get some ARP rod bolts installed when you get your stock rods reconditioned.
Oh, get Pro Magnum rockers, not Magnum rockers.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Who is porting the heads? 2. only open up the intake for a 58mm tb. I wouldnt put anymore money into it because it could be better spent elsewhere.

Ditch the ASP pulley, that 150 could be better spent.

On the CAI, i would go with a used one, or cut up the radiator support a put on a used LS lid and FTRA/SSRA. The gains will be much better than the K&N CAI. Or if you go used try to find a K&N, Moroso, ETC, used for $100.

Go with a AI or LE custom cam, it will blow that cc305 out of the water. That cam you picked out is very old.

If you autocross you want the rotating assembly to be very light, why the heavy forged pistons?? You get away with some cheap hypers that will handle you racing. You could even hit a 100,125 on them if you tuned and set up the motor properly.

I would spend more time on research on the build and hopefully you will get much better Bang for your Buck.

Please give more info on goals, budget, and who will be doing that work to the car.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slomarao
1. Who is porting the heads? 2. only open up the intake for a 58mm tb. I wouldnt put anymore money into it because it could be better spent elsewhere.

Ditch the ASP pulley, that 150 could be better spent.

On the CAI, i would go with a used one, or cut up the radiator support a put on a used LS lid and FTRA/SSRA. The gains will be much better than the K&N CAI. Or if you go used try to find a K&N, Moroso, ETC, used for $100.

Go with a AI or LE custom cam, it will blow that cc305 out of the water. That cam you picked out is very old.

If you autocross you want the rotating assembly to be very light, why the heavy forged pistons?? You get away with some cheap hypers that will handle you racing. You could even hit a 100,125 on them if you tuned and set up the motor properly.

I would spend more time on research on the build and hopefully you will get much better Bang for your Buck.

Please give more info on goals, budget, and who will be doing that work to the car.
Very well put.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Teching In

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
This is the kit that I have.

The machine work is probably going to be done by a local shop. I know I could send everything to be done professionally or better yet buy an LE setup, but I just don't have enough money to do that.

My budget to rebuild the motor is about 2500. I've already spent 600 of it on the kit.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
This is the kit that I have.

The machine work is probably going to be done by a local shop. I know I could send everything to be done professionally or better yet buy an LE setup, but I just don't have enough money to do that.

My budget to rebuild the motor is about 2500. I've already spent 600 of it on the kit.
Well to accept the new parts you have to get the block bored, honed, align honed, recondition the rods, cut/polish the crank, heat tank, balance the rotating assembly. There goes the remainder of your budget.
You still have to buy new gaskets, new bolts, fluids, etc.
That leaves you NO money to buy a cam, port the heads, or even get any bolt-ons...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In order to make the power you want, you need to double your budget.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really dont need ported heads to reach 350whp

Like somone else said pick up a AI cam that should get you what you want.

Id also up the compression in this motor a bit depending on the cam your going with since it will be a 355.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Block bored to 355ci
Port and polished heads
Port and polished intake
Magnum roller rockers
Magnum pushrods
Beehive valve springs
Compcams 305 cam
BBk 58mm throttlebody
K&N Kit II CAI

You really don't need the throttle body or the rocker arms. You also don't need to have a high dollar port job. Open-up the bowl area below the valve seat and have a good 3-angle valve job done and you will see good gains. Your intake is fine. Do not port match. I would call a good cam company and tell them your goals before buying an off the shelf cam (have as many details about your car/goals ready when you call). Replace the rod bolts. Pay for good machine work.

Good Luck,

Daren

Quick Reply: Need help with a Lt1 355 build