Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone With A HSW Trans Tunnel Bracket Please Read.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Anyone With A HSW Trans Tunnel Bracket Please Read.

I just finished installing the bracket on my 01 Camaro. I went to go start the car, it cranked but wouldn't start. No fuel pressure and the fuel pump fuse was popped.

I removed the bracket, seat cushions and seat back, peeled back the carpet on both sides and found that the fuel pump harness runs directly where the bracket mounts(on the driverside.) Luckily I did not drill through the wires but only pinched them. So I rerouted the wires to the where the seat cushion bottom is, out of the way of the bracket mounting points and seat belt latch.

I did a search but came up with nothing in terms of anyone else having this problem and the instructions say nothing about a harness there or having to lift the carpet. I'm not knocking the product or HSW at all, it's top notch stuff and they've helped me a ton. But I suggest for anyone who has the brackets installed or is planning on installing it, take a little extra time to remove the driverside carpet and move the harness out of the way.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that I think about it I'm sure any tunnel mounted bracket may have this problem. I only mentioned HSW because that's the one I have.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you just blindly drilled into the floor without checking to see if there were any harnesses underneath??? good job....lol ALWAYS LOOK under carpet first
Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thechef
So you just blindly drilled into the floor without checking to see if there were any harnesses underneath??? good job....lol ALWAYS LOOK under carpet first
Why should it be his responsibility? I've never really had any experience with HSW so I'm not bad mouthing them, but I really think that something like that should be included in the instructions. I was about to drill into my floorboard to mount some blowdown tubes and mount my nitrous line, and if it wouldn't of been for my buddy, who is a GM tech, I would have most likely drilled right through the wires. Now, something like that would have been my fault. But to buy a product from a major company, like HSW, I think it would be smart of them to include a note that mentions your fuel harness under the carpet. It would be a good way to cover their own ***.

Hell, they developed it, so they know its there.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thechef
First of all, I do agree with you. In fact before I set up the bracket to mark my holes I was about to check for wires. But I figured that the instructions didn't say anything and I have never read of anyone having this problem. I am in no way blaming HSW, I am just getting the information out to people so they don't run into the same problem I did.

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Why should it be his responsibility? I've never really had any experience with HSW so I'm not bad mouthing them, but I really think that something like that should be included in the instructions. I was about to drill into my floorboard to mount some blowdown tubes and mount my nitrous line, and if it wouldn't of been for my buddy, who is a GM tech, I would have most likely drilled right through the wires. Now, something like that would have been my fault. But to buy a product from a major company, like HSW, I think it would be smart of them to include a note that mentions your fuel harness under the carpet. It would be a good way to cover their own ***.

I am a GM tech haha. But I have also never had the interior totally apart on an F-Body to know where wires run. It does make sense to me that it should be noted that a harness runs almost exactly where the bracket lays. I'm just lucky I only pinched it and didn't actually rip up any wires.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

uhmm b/c its HIS vehicle?!?!? c'mon now....people just need to start takin responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming someone else. its your vehicle. Common sense would tell you not to drill through a carpet without knowing whats on the other side. anyone thats ever worked on a car with half a brain should know this. (no disrespect to the OP).
i work at a dealer and we get blamed all the time for people who let their State inspection expire...its our fault cause we didnt let them know they needed inspection on their vehicle. are ya freakin kidding me???? not exactly the same but its the same principle to make my point.
im not tryin to pick a fight with you but it isnt HSW's fault this happened just as its not Procharger's fault that someone blows their engine when using their product. the OP was just posting up information that may or may not be known to prevent future issues with the same product, which i may add, isnt the only one on the market that mounts in the same location.( like he mentioned in post #2)
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TNTramair
uhmm b/c its HIS vehicle?!?!? c'mon now....people just need to start takin responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming someone else. its your vehicle. Common sense would tell you not to drill through a carpet without knowing whats on the other side. anyone thats ever worked on a car with half a brain should know this. (no disrespect to the OP).
i work at a dealer and we get blamed all the time for people who let their State inspection expire...its our fault cause we didnt let them know they needed inspection on their vehicle. are ya freakin kidding me???? not exactly the same but its the same principle to make my point.
im not tryin to pick a fight with you but it isnt HSW's fault this happened just as its not Procharger's fault that someone blows their engine when using their product. the OP was just posting up information that may or may not be known to prevent future issues with the same product, which i may add, isnt the only one on the market that mounts in the same location.( like he mentioned in post #2)

Again, I totally agree and trust me, I was kicking myself when it happened. I am always cautious and careful when I work on customers cars and especially my own car.

I was hesitant to post this because I was worried it would be read the wrong way. I posted this only to try and prevent this problem from happening to other people, not to point the finger at anyone.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, its his car, so it's HIS responsibility. HSW sold a braket, how should they be resposible for how someone mounts it? Common sense tells you, before you drill, make sure you know whats on the other side. I think the OP knows that, just wants everybody to learn from his mistakes.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
Again, I totally agree and trust me, I was kicking myself when it happened. I am always cautious and careful when I work on customers cars and especially my own car.

I was hesitant to post this because I was worried it would be read the wrong way. I posted this only to try and prevent this problem from happening to other people, not to point the finger at anyone.
most of us reading this thread know you are only trying to warn people so they dont do the same thing but sometimes people see stuff like this and a big company attached to it and automatically start pointing fingers instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. like i stated in my post, i meant no disrespect towards you in any way cause i understood the nature of your post.